Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 Pt. VIII: The Titanic Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Barzal at 10 million+ completely kills the budget and assures some tough player movement. And we haven't even considered someone offer sheeting Pulock.

Think Winnipeg wouldn't be interested with the money freed up from Buff? If the Cap goes to $86 million there will be something like $10 million to play with there. $6.3 million offer costs a 1st and 3rd for a top pair defender? They'll offer that easily.

Toews at $4 million? Only costs a 2nd.

Anyone want to take the bet that if we shell out $20 million for Barzal, Pulock and Toews that Leddy and others are gone? Including Casey? There's RFA HELL potentially coming our way.

Worst case scenario: The offer sheets you suggested could be matched and traded to the same team or other teams for more than the required compensation picks. You could arguably get back a pick and a quality young player that the acquiring team thinks they might lose in the expansion draft.

I'm not suggesting I'd be in favor of that but any offer sheet would likely return more than the standard payment.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Toews will be offered more than $3 million.

I would think the events of the Coronavirus would show that doomsday scenarios are what you plan for, and then hope for the best.
If it's more than 3 mil by enough to care, then I'd have to seriously consider taking an unprotected 1st rounder from a team desperate enough for D to sign Toews to an offer sheet that size. Then use Pelech and Leddy for the top 4 LDs and see if Greene wants to do a 1 year deal to play the bottom pairing while we find a long term replacement for Toews. Otherwise, if it's still in 2nd round compensation territory, it's only 4.2 mil at most, so you match and move on, as you can find an extra mil in cap space simply by sending Ladd or Hickey to the AHL. Or we could save 2mil and send them both down (spoiler: we will do that).

Seems pretty manageable to me still.

Last edited:
Reactions: buud

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If it's more than 3 mil by enough to care, then I'd have to seriously consider taking an unprotected 1st rounder from a team desperate enough for D to sign Toews to an offer sheet that size. Then use Pelech and Leddy for the top 4 LDs and see if Greene wants to do a 1 year deal to play the bottom pairing while we find a long term replacement for Toews. Otherwise, if it's still in 2nd round compensation territory, it's only 4.2 mil at most, so you match and move on, as you can find an extra mil in cap space simply by sending Ladd or Hickey to the AHL. Or we could save 2mil and send them both down (spoiler: we will do that).

Seems pretty manageable to me still.

Unless you want to add a scoring winger too . . . I always shake my head when posters assume everything is easy, how has it ever been easy to make roster changes here? It's not like the rest of the teams are going to do us favors.

It's about winning a CUP, not keeping the status quo of the 'Minnesota Wild/Nashville Predators of the East' that seems to be where we will be if we keep avoiding changes to the lineup.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I think it is manageable to resign our RFA's, but is it manageable to still improve this flawed team? Staple's podcast spoke about how Bailey will be a difficult contract to trade which means Leddy has to get traded.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Unless you want to add a scoring winger too . . . I always shake my head when posters assume everything is easy, how has it ever been easy to make roster changes here? It's not like the rest of the teams are going to do us favors.

It's about winning a CUP, not keeping the status quo of the 'Minnesota Wild/Nashville Predators of the East' that seems to be where we will be if we keep avoiding changes to the lineup.
We probably won't add a scoring winger by UFA this summer anyway, as the market for them is terrible. So, we'd have to go the trade route to get a scoring winger either way, and most likely that would involve roster players going the other way. Most teams are looking to add to their rosters in the summer and with a weak UFA class, trades are going to be the route for most teams. While that is difficult, it's the most likely solution.

And if you look at most teams that win the cup, they've been cap strapped for years, and it didn't stop them. The fact that we haven't been able to make significant changes despite having tons of cap space should tell you that cap space isn't the most important factor at play here.

Last edited:
Reactions: danteipp and buud

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
We probably won't add a scoring winger by UFA this summer anyway, as the market for them is terrible. So, we'd have to go the trade route to get a scoring winger either way, and most likely that would involve roster players going the other way. Most teams are looking to add to their rosters in the summer and with a weak UFA class, trades are going to be the route for most teams. While that is difficult, it's

And if you look at most teams that win the cup, they've been cap strapped for years, and it didn't stop them. The fact that we haven't been able to make significant changes despite having tons of cap space should tell you that cap space isn't the most important factor at play here.

All playoff teams tend to be near the cap, that comment makes no sense. The reason is they will spend to the cap if their chances are strong. You're putting the cart before the horse.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Progression isn't always linear.

Reactions: Seph and SI

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
new mgmt has only been here less than 2 years. we are 10 points out of top spot in the East, with a game in hand. it's tight, as most of us expected.

some Isles fans will point to the last 30 years and proclaim that we aren't going anywhere. we have to learn to be happy with upgrading every year, and not expect a quantum leap, just because we've been deprived for so long.

Reactions: ndgolden

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Progression isn't always linear.

new mgmt has only been here less than 2 years. we are 10 points out of top spot in the East, with a game in hand. it's tight, as most of us expected.

some Isles fans will point to the last 30 years and proclaim that we aren't going anywhere. we have to learn to be happy with upgrading every year, and not expect a quantum leap, just because we've been deprived for so long.

Okay, back to back posts.

One says it won't be linear and one says it will.

Should we do a poll?

:popcorn:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
To turn that around, how many smart hockey trades have you seen the last few years in the off-season? Not a lot. Because the salary cap adds another layer of difficulty to overcome.

I think there are more hockey trades, that each team makes because they believe it helps them on the ice, in the future or for the cap, than offer sheets sent out and accepted each off season.

Constantly worrying about the worst-case scenario or events beyond my control is ponderous to me.

Reactions: buud

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think there are more hockey trades, that each team makes because they believe it helps them on the ice, in the future or for the cap, than offer sheets sent out and accepted each off season.

Constantly worrying about the worst-case scenario or events beyond my control is ponderous to me.

Well, here's your worst scenario. NBA is suspending season, can the NHL be far behind?

Jazz’s Rudy Gobert tests positive for coronavirus, NBA suspends season, teams quarantined (UPDATE)

You can state your mea culpa if you'd like.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Temporary suspension of the season might be what this team needs. A 4-6 week break would be a bonus. We’d be able to use the break as a mid season training camp and we’d get Pelech and Cizikas back.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
But they can't really let him go and say they're a rebuilding team when they keep all the old guys and Barzal is 22.

Well the point is if Barzal leaves we cannot win a Cup with the remaining lineup. And basically the rest of the lineup has little/no value in trades or have NTC's for a while so they cannot be traded.

Bottom line...Keep Barzal. Whatever it takes.

Reactions: The Real JT

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Also keep in mind that offer sheets cannot just be given...They need to be received.

Basically Barzal would have to negotiate with the other team and agree to it.

Reactions: danteipp

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
A 4-6 week break means we miss the playoffs by one point. We should hope for a few more games to sneak in.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Unless the NHL decides to base it on point percentage since teams have played a different amount of games, in which case we’d make it.

Which is likely what they'd have to do. It really depends how long this thing goes on for.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Well the point is if Barzal leaves we cannot win a Cup with the remaining lineup. And basically the rest of the lineup has little/no value in trades or have NTC's for a while so they cannot be traded.

Bottom line...Keep Barzal. Whatever it takes.

Agreed. We are paying Lee $7m per,Pags $5m to anchor the 3rd line and wasting $5.5m per on Andrew Ladd.
Now the front office and fans want to wring their hands over salaries?

Give Barzal $9m-$10m if he gives up 3-4 yrs of his ufa yrs and then move anyone not named Barzal/Pulock/Dobson/Sorokin.
Isles need to add highly,skilled elite players.. Not Barzal's fault the isles have failed to add more skill to their top 9.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Some peeps need to say it slowly so they can comprehend:

1. The Islanders are "all-in" and are NOT rebuilding
  2. They are NOT going to let Barzal walk
  3. They are moving into a new stadium, which is why #2 is NOT going to happen
I don't know how much he will wind up getting, but the Islanders aren't going to let him slip away. My guess is around 9 and even though we may be forced to do a shorter deal, I am assuming it will come in around there, possibly 10. It probably benefits us in the long run if he wants 10 and we convince him to go the whole 7 years. Either way, he is getting inked as is Pulock. Ryan I think comes in somewhere close to 6x6 and we would be lucky to get him at that price. Toews in my opinion will come down to him or Leddy and I still think of the three, he is the one likely to take the short 2-year 6-8 million dollar deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad