Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | You're My Boy Bouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If we had 9.25M freed up long term in cap space instead of the one defenseman with a questionable defensive skill set we could fork over all that money to another defenseman with an even more questionable defensive skill set.
why-dont-we-have-both-both.gif

Our GM might as well be the little girl from the Old El Paso taco ad.

We don't need defense, we have expensive defensemen.
bio_Holland_01.jpg

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
1. I literally said it my post I need to get over that contract, chill.

2. You have no idea if that would be our top 4, with 9.25 mil in cap space you can do some things.

3. I agree, Nurse's agent did very well getting him that deal.
Understood. Sure with the 9.25 mill in cap space we could've done things. But tell me if there were any top 3 Dmen we could've signed or traded for easily? It's hard to find a Dman like that in free agency or trade. Ekholm was a genius move.

Nurse is overpaid by around 1.5 million in my view. He's around a 7.5 mill Dman. To us, I think he's more because he is vital to our D core

Won't ever forget Barrie. But, Ekholm has been vital to the team so far

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If you think Barrie chose to play here for 3.75 instead of 6 idk what to tell you.
C’mon man. Really? If you don’t like those links I guess the only proof you would accept is if Tyson himself logged on to confirm.

It was well accepted that Barrie took less to play in Edmonton. And I thank him mightily for it. Barrie is the tier of player (talented, excels at at least one aspect of the game, big enough career earnings that money is no longer the primary motivator, respected by his peers) that this club needs to be able to attract on shorter, cheaper deals. He came into Edmonton and played better than most of this board expected. He was popular with teammates and I suspect he would have stayed here for even less money on his next deal had circumstances been different.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
With the passing of every day that Bouchard hasn't been re-signed we have to wonder if there has been a change in terms of his camp's asking price or Holland's camp has something else on the burner trying to free up some cap to get him locked in beyond the next year or two. Either way I think that many of us will feel much better once Bouch puts pen to paper.
Just wanted to say your Thread Title made me laugh. Thank you.

Hope everyone here is having a great summer with their families.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Honestly that could've happened if he signed for $8 million as well. I actually have a lot of respect for Darnell looking after his parents like that.
So he wouldnt have been able to get his parents retired if he signed a contract for a more team friendly... $7.5M per season...or even $8M per season?
Or $8.5M per season?
Not buying it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Draisaitl really didn’t take less. Barkov the previous year signed for like 5.9. People were freaking out when Draisaitl signed at 8.5. It’s obviously a great contract in hindsight, and he’s earned it and then some, but it was high on the day he signed imo.
I don't think I'd put Drai under the category of leaving money on the table to market value but I still believe he had offer sheets for more money. He had his breakout season that year and was an absolute beast in the playoffs. He was an example of an obvious high tier 1C player, and a smart player to gamble cap space on. Imo Montreal in particular always loved Drai and had cleared cap space specifically to send an offer to Drai. And imo it started with a 9 but maybe a 10 even. This is all speculation of course but it was just extremely obvious that Drai was the best offer sheet target in years, and there are offer sheets we will never heat about.

At the time of him signing I figured out his comparable. It wasn't a high contract. His production and cap percentage was nearly identical to Kopitar's 2nd contract, and Drai gave us 8 years. Not an overpay at the time at all, except according to those who don't look at the nuances.

Edit: also when barkov signed that deal his biggest season was 16 goals and 36 points, and no playoff resume to bargain with. He was in the middle of a breakout season but there was timing favorable to the team. Drai got to the point where we weren't so lucky. Just off that playoff run. He was much closer to a sure thing elite player

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So he wouldnt have been able to get his parents retired if he signed a contract for a more team friendly... $7.5M per season...or even $8M per season?
Or $8.5M per season?
Not buying it.
Exactly what I meant in the post that you quoted. He literally left nothing on the table and took every penny that he could. He was going to be paid handsomely regardless, now he has additional expectations because of how big of a piece of the pie that he took. Is that worth the extra $1.25-$1.75 million a season? Only Darnell knows the answer to that. The fact of the matter is that he signed 2 bridge deals, the first for 2 years at $3.2 million AAV and then the next 2 for $5.6 million AAV. He had $17.8 million for his 4 years after his ELC. He was not in a Michael Bunting type of a situation where he was paid scraps for his production and was due a real payday. Yes he deserved and earned a raise, but as a leader when you take every dollar that you can it screws the bottom of the roster guys, team depth and your chances at winning.

My question is would you rather be known as the guy that took too much and didn't win anything, or the guy that left some $ on the table to win? Either road he chose unless he makes some terrible life decisions he will not need to worry about $ again, neither will his kids or his grandkids, etc.

Last edited:

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
At this point I don't know how you don't just point to the K'Andre Miller contract and tell Bouchard this is the contract. If he wants only 1 year than he gets significantly less than the ~$3.9M.
Bouchard has 83pts in regular season and 23 more in the play offs in the last 2 seasons. K Andrea has 63 pts in the regular season and 8 in the playoffs. or 106 pts for Bouchard to 71 by K Andrea. For me there is a difference.

here are the guys on the stats sheet near Bouchard in the regular season over the last 2 seasons

Seth Jones 88pts
Noah Hanifin
Drew Doughty
Evan Bouchard 83
John Klingberg
Hampus Lindholm
Thomas Chabot
Damon Severson 79pts

Playoffs
Only Maker and Fox have more pts from the blueline

from 4 to 10 are
Devon Toews
Victor Hedman
Morgan Rielly
Brandon Montour
Miro Heiskanen
Jaccob Slavin
Justin Schultz

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Exactly what I meant in the post that you quoted. He literally left nothing on the table and took every penny that he could. He was going to be paid handsomely regardless, now he has additional expectations because of how big of a piece of the pie that he took. Is that worth the extra $1.25-$1.75 million a season? Only Darnell knows the answer to that. The fact of the matter is that he signed 2 bridge deals, the first for 2 years at $3.2 million AAV and then the next 2 for $5.6 million AAV. He had $17.8 million for his 4 years after his ELC. He was not in a Michael Bunting type of a situation where he was paid scraps for his production and was due a real payday. Yes he deserved and earned a raise, but as a leader when you take every dollar that you can it screws the bottom of the roster guys, team depth and your chances at winning.

My question is would you rather be known as the guy that took too much and didn't win anything, or the guy that left some $ on the table to win? Either road he chose unless he makes some terrible life decisions he will not need to worry about $ again, neither will his kids or his grandkids, etc.
I should have worded my post a little better.
I agree completely.

I especially like the bolded.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
1) Can't wait for Bouchard to re-sign with the Oilers
2) Can't wait for the season to start. Rather see fans rip on a player looking like ass from a single shift at this point.
I'll start it off! Goddamnit Lavoie, use your big body frame and hit somebody!!!

Reading posts from several certain posters have been beyond tiresome this summer.
But but but Bouchard character problemsss, but this player didn't take a better offer from a different team, blah blah blah.
And it has been those exact same posters with that crap.

200w.gif

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bouchard has 83pts in regular season and 23 more in the play offs in the last 2 seasons. K Andrea has 63 pts in the regular season and 8 in the playoffs. or 106 pts for Bouchard to 71 by K Andrea. For me there is a difference.

here are the guys on the stats sheet near Bouchard in the regular season over the last 2 seasons

Seth Jones 88pts
Noah Hanifin
Drew Doughty
Evan Bouchard 83
John Klingberg
Hampus Lindholm
Thomas Chabot
Damon Severson 79pts

Playoffs
Only Maker and Fox have more pts from the blueline

from 4 to 10 are
Devon Toews
Victor Hedman
Morgan Rielly
Brandon Montour
Miro Heiskanen
Jaccob Slavin
Justin Schultz
At this time I think there is a reasonable case to be made for Miller and Bouchard being in similar tiers. Bouchard does have the points advantage and that does matter but this year Miller had more points in the regular season with 12 more ES ponts. Miller is much more rounded right now. In particular he is an important pk'er, which Bouchard is not right now. He also played a lot more vs top end competition last year and is certainly better defensively at this time. He also did not have the chance to play on the NHL's all time best pp. Holland needs to make these points without diminishing Bouchard's importance to the team.

Reactions: Spawn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad