Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Who Do We Land at the Deadline? Usual Suspects or Someone Out of Left Field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
They’re in that position because of how much Kane and Toews have fallen off a cliff.

Who does he play with? Puck carriers don’t work with McDavid. With Drai? That would be terrifying. You could throw Mark Stone on the other wing and they’d still probably lead the league in goals against.

There aren’t many guys who are a worse fit for this team than Kane.
Kane looked pretty good against the Oilers but had shitty linemates (AA) .. Still seems to be pretty elite.. He would be our 2nd or third best scoring threat at ES after McD and maybe Hyman.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Sounds like leaf fans have convinced themselves that they are getting Chychrun for Knies.

I know hes their top prospect but I just dont get the love. Hes 20 years old with 31 points in 29 games. Holloway is a year older and accomplished way more. Holloway had 35 points in 23 games in his D+1 then went to the AHL and now in the NHL. If the Oilers want to they could easily outbid the leafs. They dont have anywhere near the same assets we do.

I'm sure the netfront guy doesn't need to just stand there. It is okay for players to move around. Drai has scored from net front and from the Sedins spot on PP before and can easily swap places with others for one timers.

Bottom line: there would be options..

Speaking of netfront guys JVR would probably be a good option at 50% from the flyers. Havent seen anyone talk about him but would be a solid top 6 addition come playoffs.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's rumored that they mostly want picks, and in this draft and next. If I were LA I'd be more worried about giving up 1st rounders than we would.

LA probably wants some protection to make sure they don't give up something too good, especially next season but maybe this season even. That's where we can gamble more imo, and just give the picks straight up. With the prospect pool, I still say that the asset LA would be willing to give up would probably be on par with Bourgault

Fact is LA can make a cleaner trade with better assets than we can. Us Oiler fans are also prone to vastly overvaluing our own prospects lol.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It’s merely my own impression of his interview and that his family is there. Rumours are a dime a dozen.

LAs prospect pool is light years better than ours, their draft pick spot will probably be better than ours and they have no need for Arizona to retain which costs assets.

They can easily outbid us forcing us into an overpay.

LA‘s prospect pool isn’t that great unless they’re for some reason prepared to offer Clarke and Byfield. I’d argue ours is arguably better with those 2 excluded. And we should be more inclined to give up 1st round picks. We don’t need Arizona to retain on Chychrun either. Do you really think they are outbidding us if we offered like 2 1st and Bourgault?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Sounds like leaf fans have convinced themselves that they are getting Chychrun for Knies.

I know hes their top prospect but I just dont get the love. Hes 20 years old with 31 points in 29 games. Holloway is a year older and accomplished way more. Holloway had 35 points in 23 games in his D+1 then went to the AHL and now in the NHL. If the Oilers want to they could easily outbid the leafs. They dont have anywhere near the same assets we do.

Speaking of netfront guys JVR would probably be a good option at 50% from the flyers. Havent seen anyone talk about him but would be a solid top 6 addition come playoffs.

He’s the new Bracco. You’d think a guy as untouchable as him wouldn’t be a noticeable step down in production from his 2 linemates

Reactions: McDoused

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
This is the interesting quote in that article- "My sources tell me the Blackhawks would retain half of Kane’s $10.5 million salary, take Warren Foegele and Jesse Puljujarvi to make the money work, and require a first-round pick and a prospect — not Holloway or Broberg — in return. "

Personally I wouldn't do it.
Foegele is now not playing today due to an injury from blocking a shit last night. Hopefully it's just a bad bruise. I like Foegele but to add Kane while freeing up that capspace for next offseason is enticing.
I'm not inherently against Patrick Kane per se, but the absolute last thing management should is make moves to change up the historically good power play.

I just thought of something...if Kane comes to the Oilers, they will never get another powerplay for the rest of the season or playoffs. If they do, they'd be called for some faceoff infraction to even it up the full two minutes.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Kane looked pretty good against the Oilers but had shitty linemates (AA) .. Still seems to be pretty elite.. He would be our 2nd or third best scoring threat at ES after McD and maybe Hyman.
P. Kane has traditionally been a stellar ES producer his career average even strength production not including this season is 2.77 Pts per 60, truly elite numbers.

This season though he is sitting with the worst even strength production of his career at 1.5 Pts per 60, the only other year he was close to this was his sophomore season where he had a 1.8 pts per 60.

For context that is lower even strength production than R. McLeod (1.8), Janmark (1.6), and on the same tier as Foegele, Yamo, and D. Ryan who are also at 1.5 Pts per 60.

Obviously P. Kane would produce more here with better linemates, but I think questions about how bad his hip is seem reasonable based on how far off he is from his normal level, I'm aware he played it off as not being that bad, but you have to wonder if its worse than he is letting on.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I was looking at the main trade board. Greenway is seen as a guy that could bring in a 3rd or late second. He has two more years left at $3M. He's 6'6" and 241 lbs. But as a a hockey player is he much better than Foegele? If Greenway and his baggage gets a 2nd or 3rd why would Foegele with one year left not be worth a late round pick rather than requiring a 2nd to move. I doubt the Oilers would get much if anything for him in a straight-up trade but I don;t see why they would have to pay much to shed his contract either especially in a bigger deal. Chicago, Anaheim and Arizona need to ice a team next year
I ask the same about Beauviller. How different is he from a guy like Yamamoto. It's funny how similar players look very different in different markets.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I was looking at the main trade board. Greenway is seen as a guy that could bring in a 3rd or late second. He has two more years left at $3M. He's 6'6" and 241 lbs. But as a a hockey player is he much better than Foegele? If Greenway and his baggage gets a 2nd or 3rd why would Foegele with one year left not be worth a late round pick rather than requiring a 2nd to move. I doubt the Oilers would get much if anything for him in a straight-up trade but I don;t see why they would have to pay much to shed his contract either especially in a bigger deal. Chicago, Anaheim and Arizona need to ice a team next year
Yeah I don’t get it either. Foegele with a year left shouldn’t cost anything to unload.

He’s the type of guy bottom feeders take on for nothing, stick in their top 9 all year long, he’ll put up 12 goals or so and come trade deadline they retain half and sell him for a 3rd.

Reactions: belair

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Kane seems like a luxury for a team that is at the top of the league for offence but below-average for defence.

Assets and cap space are limited. Use them on an impactful defenceman.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yeah I don’t get it either. Foegele with a year left shouldn’t cost anything to unload.

He’s the type of guy bottom feeders take on for nothing, stick in their top 9 all year long, he’ll put up 12 goals or so and come trade deadline they retain half and sell him for a 3rd.

Not in this cap landscape.

Most teams have a couple guys like Kostin who do what Foegele does, but better and at $2M less.

Reactions: Vagabond

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
12 Monkeys?
The .gif, yes I believe so.

Foegele is now not playing today due to an injury from blocking a shit last night. Hopefully it's just a bad bruise. I like Foegele but to add Kane while freeing up that capspace for next offseason is enticing.

I just thought of something...if Kane comes to the Oilers, they will never get another powerplay for the rest of the season or playoffs. If they do, they'd be called for some faceoff infraction to even it up the full two minutes.
Bad bruise from blocking a shit? Yikes....

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Damn. That’s basically getting him for free if you’re dumping Foegele’s deal in the trade.
Would still have to shed more salary. Either get retention from another club or add Yamo to the deal. Either way it's a lot of trash plus a first for an elite player.
Kane - McD - Kane
RNH - Draisaitl - Hyman
is insane top 6

Say... PJ, Yamo, Foegele, Nemelainen, 1st for Kane 50%, Raddysh/Lafferty

Reactions: Vagabond

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
LA‘s prospect pool isn’t that great unless they’re for some reason prepared to offer Clarke and Byfield. I’d argue ours is arguably better with those 2 excluded. And we should be more inclined to give up 1st round picks. We don’t need Arizona to retain on Chychrun either. Do you really think they are outbidding us if we offered like 2 1st and Bourgault?

Yes.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If the Kings outbid the Oil for Chychrun, I would definitely take a look at Kane. Two bottom sixers who are in and out of the lineup and a first round pick is not a lot to give up for Kane.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
One guy I’d like to target is Michael Del Zotto. Obviously not as the main guy, but he’s already cleared waivers which means you could acquire him for like a 7th or a lower prospect and leave him in the minors as insurance for the playoffs. With how tight we are to the cap, you can’t get a guy like that and keep him on the roster. Having some veterans in Bakersfield could pay off if we run into injuries.

What are they offering to top it? Do you think they’re prepared to part with Clarke for Chychrun? I just don’t see it

I mean if it's a decent third liner they shouldn't be getting scratched even with that lineup. That said, I've liked Foegele's game lately, would be sad to see him go.

Ya the problem with Foegele is the contract, not the player. I’ve mentioned it before but id almost be more tempted to send back Kulak instead of Foegele in a Chychrun deal. With Broberg’s progress we’d end up with a bit of a logjam next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad