Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Wheat Kings and Pretty Things, Let's See What The Expansion Draft Brings

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If we were to sign Hall, Ryan and then 2 more top 9 LWs on 1 year, show me deals we would have really good depth and line combo options. An example could be;

xxx-Mcdavid-JP
xxx-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Hall-RNH-Kassian
Khaira-Ryan-Archbald

There’s numerous free agents that could fill those 2 holes on temporary 1-2 year deals until players like Holloway and other prospects are ready. It would also create matchup nightmares for the other teams. You have a Hart winner and elite offensive player driving each line. Then if you’re behind or want to shorten the bench you can switch to this combo.

Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Yamamoto
Hall-RNH-JP
xxx-Ryan-Kassian
xxx-Khaira-Archibald

Reactions: The Safe Play

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You'd think Oiler fans would have learned by now after signing guys like Pouliot and Lucic to such horrible contracts.
At the very least you'd hope the managers look back on the team's history of UFAs, prospects and positional depth.

If they sign Hyman, I have to question who the capologist is.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Islanders just paid Arizona to dump Andrew Ladd. Who signed with the Islanders 4 seasons ago after a couple 50 pts 20 goal seasons with the Jets.

Now the Oilers are about to make the same mistake with Hyman.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
If we were to sign Hall, Ryan and then 2 more top 9 LWs on 1 year, show me deals we would have really good depth and line combo options. An example could be;

xxx-Mcdavid-JP
xxx-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Hall-RNH-Kassian
Khaira-Ryan-Archbald

There’s numerous free agents that could fill those 2 holes on temporary 1-2 year deals until players like Holloway and other prospects are ready. It would also create matchup nightmares for the other teams. You have a Hart winner and elite offensive player driving each line. Then if you’re behind or want to shorten the bench you can switch to this combo.

Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Yamamoto
Hall-RNH-JP
xxx-Ryan-Kassian
xxx-Khaira-Archibald
This is Derek Ryan who turns 35 this year?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hall is the type of player that teams rely on to lead them away from being a tire fire team. He saw primary offensive assignments, primary powerplay and very little ice with the parts of rosters that are devoid of offense.

His game has slipped. Even playing with a team's best, he's been ineffective. Hyman stands out as a better option because he's capable of being a plug-and-play forward.

Neither is a favorable option. Both are expensive, likely to get term and both have significant injury concern.

Expecting one individual player to lead or solve the problems of a tire fire team never works out. Teams win by being good teams overall, no one playing (not even McDavid) can do it all himself when it comes to team success.

He played with the “teams best” in Buffalo, in a year where Eichel had pretty much every go wrong for him and that teams best includes a failed Skinner experiment and sparse talent in the back end. He moved to Boston and instantly became the player he actually is and started producing at a near point per game clip immediately.

I don’t think Halls game has slipped. Not to say that it won’t decline during the contract, but his most recent play shows he can still play at a very high level. And if we are comparing to his time in Edmonton, I think he’s a much better and matured player than what we saw back then.

I agree both players will be pricey but that’s not an issue if you get what you pay for. I would argue that due to Hall’s bad year in Buffalo and Covid flat cap he would come in at a price lower than his usual market value. Whereas Hyman is going to get overpaid. And yes both present injury risks, but that’s usually the case when your dipping into the UFA basket to acquire players without having to give up assets.

Reactions: McAsuno

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Free agency is where the mistakes are made. If you're trying to fix your team with free agents then you've already lost imo.

I disagree.

You can literally only add value to a team by drafting (which doesn't happen overnight), trade (which in theory is lateral or you give up futures to win now) and free agency.

Montreal adding Toffoli is a great example.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Free agency is where the mistakes are made. If you're trying to fix your team with free agents then you've already lost imo.
Maybe for bottom six players UFA works ....look at last years signings.
But your probably right with 1LW ....we need to trade for that position and thats my point re Florida...on many levels we can't compete for at least some UFAs.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I disagree.

You can literally only add value to a team by drafting (which doesn't happen overnight), trade (which in theory is lateral or you give up futures to win now) and free agency.

Montreal adding Toffoli is a great example.

What free agent put Tampa Bay over the top the last two seasons.

And for every Toffoli there are 5 lucic, neal ect that don't workout.

Reactions: Beerfish

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Its dangerous for Holland to deal with Yzerman and he shouldn't do it alone but who in organizations has the brains and clout to help him.? But Yzerman has the 1LW we need and at the right cap number and if they play the game right is available.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Two different positions.

Chara, Pronger, Lidstrom ect all played into their 40s.

Show me a Hyman type player who is still good at 35?
Matt Cullen, Jason Chimera. 6 year deal only takes him to 34 anyway. We don’t need him to be good at 35.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I feel like the 2016 off-season really changed the mindset for UFA’s. There are plenty of effective players now in their mid 30’s who have played hard. Oshie, Pavelski, Benn, Getzlaf, Brown, Kopitar, Bergeron, Hornqvist, etc.. There is as much reason to believe Hyman would be a very good player at the age of 34 as there is to say he’d be a Lucic. It’s a coin flip.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Only elite level players ever retain value into their mid-30s on those types of contracts. Hyman probably ends up bought out in the 4th or 5th year of any contract he signs, the fate of most mediocre 30 year old UFAs.

Not surprised he wants a 7 or 8 year contract though. His career earnings aren't that high due to starting in the NHL around 24 years of age, and he needs a solid high money payday on his retirement contract.

Reactions: Mr Positive

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Unfortunately we are caught between a rock and a hard place. We need to take advantage of the window we have with McDrai, but have a fairly empty cupboard of draft picks and prospects to trade for legit fixes, so will likely need to hold our noses and dip into the UFA overpriced bin and hope it works out for at least three years with whomever we sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad