Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Wheat Kings and Pretty Things, Let's See What The Expansion Draft Brings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Neal, Lucic, Ladd, Clarkson, Backes, etc, what is the common theme? They're all power forwards with average at best skating. So when their skating deteriorates as they age, it gets ugly fast.

From what I've seen, Hyman is a much better skater and I think you're going to get a really good player for 4 years. After that, all bets are off, but we need significant success in the next 4 years otherwise we can be happy that we don't have any buyout candidates while we watch Connor and Leon walk out the door.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
For me, the top UFA target should be Ullmark. Totally willing to go 5 x 4M. We need a goalie..
That should be the orgs top priority. Some say Skinner is the real deal though. But that will take time. Just no super long term deals I guess

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I'm also a numbskull...I know you said current goalies but Stuart Skinner was born (and presumed raised?) in Edmonton. I'm also presuming he probably cheered for the hometown club as well, so we got that to look forward to. :)

That' true. I gonna pray that one of our goalie prospects matures into a high end starter. But I'm definitely gonna root for Skinner to grow into one. He probably doesn't want the pressure but it would be kinda special to have a home grown Edmonton player turn into a franchise goalie for the oilers!

Edit: The continued search for our present day Grant Fuhr.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
29 year old Hyman: "He's done. His body is broken."

38 year old Keith: "He's got plenty left in the tank!"

Tomato Tamato.

One is a solid character support player who at 29 is going to be a market setter with aav and contract term with a style of play as power forward more prone to breakdown earlier in their thirties. Oil have the gift that keeps on giving with retained Lucic money and a soon to be bought out Real Deal. Hyman's an exact player type this soft Oilers team needs but definitely caveat emptor on the long deal that will be required to get him out of Leaf pj's.

The other's a two year risk whose won everything imaginable, elite conditioning, and being asked to move into a support role to try to kickstart an entry level playoff team. Despite positions, Keith outscored Hyman over the last two playoff seasons in fewer games (and despite playing only one playoff season).

Reactions: bellagiobob

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Neal, Lucic, Ladd, Clarkson, Backes, etc, what is the common theme? They're all power forwards with average at best skating. So when their skating deteriorates as they age, it gets ugly fast.

From what I've seen, Hyman is a much better skater and I think you're going to get a really good player for 4 years. After that, all bets are off, but we need significant success in the next 4 years otherwise we can be happy that we don't have any buyout candidates while we watch Connor and Leon walk out the door.

I've got a lot of time for Hyman. I think he addresses a huge hole in this lineup and would help this team a lot.

The problem is obviously term and cap hit.

Hes going to get overpaid as most UFAs do but that's also the cost of signing guys without having to give up assets.

Once Hall signs in Boston and Landeskog signs with Colorado, Hyman is probably the best LW on the market.

I'm not as worried as term as some other fans. The cap will go up after a few years and I think were making a push to bring that cap number down. I think the problem is when you overpay on cap AND term. If Hyman is just looking at total money I think giving him a 7 year contract is the way to go.

Let's say the standard is 6MAAV for 4 year@ (24M), would he take 5.5M for 5 years@ (27.5M), 5M for 6 years (30M) or 4.5M for 7 years (31.5M)?

If we send Toronto a 6th round pick we could always do an 8 year contract and do 4M for 8 years (32M).

Front load the money so its buyout friendly in the final 4 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad