Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
The flipside to that is what's better for San Jose? Paying the full 11.5 million? Even at 5 retained, the Oilers would still be taking them off the hook for paying the majority of his salary.
It’s better than a buyout cap wise if it ever comes to that for them. Also they get assets in return.

They won’t be good until his contract is up anyway, get a couple picks/prospects and speed the rebuild up a bit. An extra 1st is like gaining a year in a rebuild, super valuable for them. They might even be able to use it to trade up in the draft, again super valuable for them.

I think Grier and Holland are just trying to get the best deal they can, but if they remain stubborn it’s not happening.

You're aware Klingbergs contract ends after this year right?
Nah for some reason I thought it was a few years. He’s no better than Barrie, I have zero interest

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think Foligno has been involved any trades like that. Are you thinking of Clarkson?

The Leafs got a bonus from trading for him because he brought them closer to the cap at the beginning of the season. They were something like $2M under the cap before trading for him, so their LTIR pool would have been $2M less than if they were right at the cap.
Sorry it was Riley Nash they acquired to gain cap space for the Foligno trade in 2021

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It’s better than a buyout cap wise if it ever comes to that for them. Also they get assets in return.

They won’t be good until his contract is up anyway, get a couple picks/prospects and speed the rebuild up a bit. An extra 1st is like gaining a year in a rebuild, super valuable for them. They might even be able to use it to trade up in the draft, again super valuable for them.

I think Grier and Holland are just trying to get the best deal they can, but if they remain stubborn it’s not happening.

Nah for some reason I thought it was a few years. He’s no better than Barrie, I have zero interest
I agree with zero interest on him, he sucks.

Was more so pointing that it wasnt a boat anchor of a contract.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Wait closer to the deadline and try to carve out best value?
Seems like the smart thing to do.

It’s funny because the same people deriding him for not doing anything yet, would also be screaming bloody murder if he overpaid in an early trade.

There’s a reason nobody (outside of Dubas lol) is paying the ask this early. Options are going to increase and prices are going to come down.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

It’s funny because the same people deriding him for not doing anything yet, would also be screaming bloody murder if he overpaid in an early trade.

There’s a reason nobody (outside of Dubas lol) is paying the ask this early. Options are going to increase and prices are going to come down.
Cost goes up near the deadline

Reactions: McAsuno

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don’t know about Ghost but I hope Holland has come to his senses on Klingberg. He’s done. He’s been terrible for like 3 years and his contract will be a boat anchor. Let Anaheim suffer that bad contract, we don’t need to help them out.
Klingberg is an expiring UFA.. so it would likely be a minimal cost to acquire him and Anaheim no doubt retains 50%.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Much as I hate to admit it I think Dubas made the right move. See your man and lock him up. Waiting and waiting isn't the best strategy. Suddenly your guy is gone, everyone knows what you want, there's less of it, and now you're running out of options.

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019

Those are the only 2 things Holland does in trades: nothing, or an overpay. There isn't a secret third better option. He absolutely stinks at adding meaningful roster pieces.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

Personally I’d rather see him just get a Karlsson deal done asap, save the rental trades for the deadline. It’s too complex of a deal to wait until the last minute imo, don’t be cheap and just pay the price for 25-30% retention.

The teams looking to trade expiring contracts have the real pressure at the deadline, it’s their last chance to get any return on the player. Figure out EK and then the rental will be the finishing touch on TDL.

Reactions: TGOSnipes99

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Edmundson or Klingberg (just scratched tonight)

#HerecometheOilers
Why was klingberg scratched? Protection for a trade?

How can san Jose want so much for a contract they would be happy to off load. As much as I want to see him here, the cost is just rediculois from what the rumors are saying
I think a big part of the issue is his crazy outlier season right now. I’m a big fan of Karlsson and think he would be awesome here. But no way he’s ever scoring this much again (I think…)

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I've never seen it reported anywhere that San Jose would retain 40%. I think the two parties might be able to stretch this to 30%, I will be staggered it they could somehow find 40% retention on $39,000,000. All of this would be history making in exponential terms for retention (money and years).

If Karlsson approves waiving for Edmonton as Chris Johnson alleges that is a massive piece of the puzzle. Theoretically he could say Edmonton or San Jose for remaining years.
I think it was just Gregor and/or Rishaug spitballing how much the Oilers needed but I think Lebrun was the one that said SJ was open to any amount…of course I could be mistaken too.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think they gained any cap off that.

They basically just Kucherov'd him and had him LTIR until the playoffs.
But they had zero cap space at the time of the Nash trade and afterword traded for Foligno and all the media guys explained it as the LTIR on Nash allowed them to trade for Foligno at the same price. I’m so confused lol

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Sharks can just take back Campbell instead of retaining on Karlsson. At least they have an active player instead of dead cap. Their contract lengths are even. He was a mistake signing.. he’s a 2M caliber goalie.. he can be the Sharks’ tank commander

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

"Winger Raphael Lavoie has gone from suspect to strong prospect with his recent hot streak in Bakersfield. He had 12 goals in a 20-game stretch going into the Condors’ Tuesday game against San Diego Gulls."
Anyone following BKF lately?
Ralphie and McLeod were my 'picks to stick'
Batting 500 but hearing rumblings about Lavoie.

True or on the verge of Bensonville?

I'll take to Condors thread if needed
Thanks

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sharks can just take back Campbell instead of retaining on Karlsson. At least they have an active player instead of dead cap. Their contract lengths are even. He was a mistake signing.. he’s a 2M caliber goalie.. he can be the Sharks’ tank commander

Yeah that's exactly what I've been saying, if they can't come to a retention deal, Campbell going the other way would shave 5 million off whatever is left on Karlsson.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
But they had zero cap space at the time of the Nash trade and afterword traded for Foligno and all the media guys explained it as the LTIR on Nash allowed them to trade for Foligno at the same price. I’m so confused lol
I'm pretty sure they LTIR'd Freddy Andersen right before they traded for Foligno.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like it, but he's got a 10 team no trade list. I'd say it's very possible that every bottom feeder team is on it

It's worth a shot though

North

Jun 25, 2009
Why was klingberg scratched? Protection for a trade?

I think a big part of the issue is his crazy outlier season right now. I’m a big fan of Karlsson and think he would be awesome here. But no way he’s ever scoring this much again (I think…)

Klingberg was scratched because he wasn’t feeling well.

Reactions: Ibanez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad