Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
With Washington slowly dropping out of the playoff race (still time to recover but they are trending slowly down)... I could see several D options from the Caps being of interest.

They have no signed dmen for next season except Carlson.

Dmitry Orlov is the obvious name... not sure if he'd re-sign in Edmonton... but if the cost was reasonable (and the Caps retain say 50%... he'd be a decent pickup even if it's just for 1 playoff run). Orlov has a 5 team no-trade list though and I'd assume Oilers are on it.

Erik Gustafsson is someone I could see Holland being interested in as a cheap rental that should cost very little to acquire. Another decent offense-1st puck-mover who's having a solid year. I've always thought he's underrated... especially at his rock bottom cap hit. Basically a much cheaper Ghostisbehere.
What about Nick Jensen?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ok I’m super confused as to how this works then because I remember the Leafs trading for LTIR the past two seasons and being able to exceed the cap by that amount. I must be missing something I guess.
If you trade for Monahan's 6.3m contract, you can then put him on LTIR.

But his original is still on your books, so you gain a net zero of cap space.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
If you trade for Monahan's 6.3m contract, you can then put him on LTIR.

But his original is still on your books, so you gain a net zero of cap space.
So why are teams able to add guys like Foligno a couple years back LTIR him and gained the cap space? This whole LTIR loophole is super fn confusing lol. So let’s say we were to deal yams and PJ for Monahan and then LTIR him we wouldn’t gain any cap space at all?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The only way Karlsson is worth 3 firsts is is at 40% retained. Nobody is giving any real value for 20%. If he were 27 this would be different, but the buyer is taking the risk that Karlsson could fall off as early as next year.

Even at 40%, we are the only team who is both desperate enough AND can give that price with reasonable comfort.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
So why are teams able to add guys like Foligno a couple years back LTIR him and gained the cap space? This whole LTIR loophole is super fn confusing lol. So let’s say we were to deal yams and PJ for Monahan and then LTIR him we wouldn’t gain any cap space at all?

As far as I know, the only way to take advantage of LTIR to our benefit would be to trade for a guy that we know wouldn't be healthy until playoffs.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We would gain the cap space of puljujarvi and yamamoto.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't think Foligno has been involved any trades like that. Are you thinking of Clarkson?

The Leafs got a bonus from trading for him because he brought them closer to the cap at the beginning of the season. They were something like $2M under the cap before trading for him, so their LTIR pool would have been $2M less than if they were right at the cap.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Has anyone heard about the Sharks scouting the Condors? They’re pretty close and if we’re talking trades then they must be at some games.

That might be why a kid like Lavoie is popping off, he wants in the NHL. He’s probably looking like a nice piece in a trade right now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What happened to Klingberg anyway. Seems like he was dynamite in 19-20 playoffs (bubble year) here and then just sorta hit a wall or something?

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Depending on players involved, 5 mill retention is EXTREME as fack. That is kinda like Holland demanding something he knows will never happen so he can say he tried to make a deal they just wouldn't play ball. I can see it now. We tried but just wasn't a deal to be made

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
So the story on retention has gone from:

18% to 20% to 40% to any amount back down to 20%….lol.
I've never seen it reported anywhere that San Jose would retain 40%. I think the two parties might be able to stretch this to 30%, I will be staggered it they could somehow find 40% retention on $39,000,000. All of this would be history making in exponential terms for retention (money and years).

If Karlsson approves waiving for Edmonton as Chris Johnson alleges that is a massive piece of the puzzle. Theoretically he could say Edmonton or San Jose for remaining years.

Reactions: Faelko and Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Depending on players involved, 5 mill retention is EXTREME as fack. That is kinda like Holland demanding something he knows will never happen so he can say he tried to make a deal they just wouldn't play ball. I can see it now. We tried but just wasn't a deal to be made

The flipside to that is what's better for San Jose? Paying the full 11.5 million? Even at 5 retained, the Oilers would still be taking them off the hook for paying the majority of his salary.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t know about Ghost but I hope Holland has come to his senses on Klingberg. He’s done. He’s been terrible for like 3 years and his contract will be a boat anchor. Let Anaheim suffer that bad contract, we don’t need to help them out.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don’t know about Ghost but I hope Holland has come to his senses on Klingberg. He’s done. He’s been terrible for like 3 years and his contract will be a boat anchor. Let Anaheim suffer that bad contract, we don’t need to help them out.
You're aware Klingbergs contract ends after this year right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad