Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Personally I’d rather see him just get a Karlsson deal done asap, save the rental trades for the deadline. It’s too complex of a deal to wait until the last minute imo, don’t be cheap and just pay the price for 25-30% retention.

The teams looking to trade expiring contracts have the real pressure at the deadline, it’s their last chance to get any return on the player. Figure out EK and then the rental will be the finishing touch on TDL.
San Jose is staring at a 40M dollar bill for a guy who won’t drag your team to being relevant but also will keep you good enough to miss out on top picks, take him off that team this year and they have the best odds at a generational player. Not to mention this player completely decides where he moves, if he wants to move at all, and by the sounds of it he’s willing to move to a team that’s willing to pay the bigger half of that 40M dollar bill. Grier is a rookie gm and doesn’t want to get cleaned out on his first big move but he’s probably also got an owner looking at 40M owed to one guy and an irrelevant team ready for a rebuild and Id wager he’s telling Grier, if you have the chance move him. They likely won’t have the stars line up again to trade him, Holland should hardball them, this is what I’m willing to pay, this is what I need for retention, take it or leave it and if you leave it then I’m going in another direction spending my assets and won’t be interested in the summer or the future.

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
Personally I’d rather see him just get a Karlsson deal done asap, save the rental trades for the deadline. It’s too complex of a deal to wait until the last minute imo, don’t be cheap and just pay the price for 25-30% retention.

The teams looking to trade expiring contracts have the real pressure at the deadline, it’s their last chance to get any return on the player. Figure out EK and then the rental will be the finishing touch on TDL.
Same. Try to hash it out ASAP and then worry about anything else he is trying to do depth wise

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

giphy.gif

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It’s better than a buyout cap wise if it ever comes to that for them. Also they get assets in return.

They won’t be good until his contract is up anyway, get a couple picks/prospects and speed the rebuild up a bit. An extra 1st is like gaining a year in a rebuild, super valuable for them. They might even be able to use it to trade up in the draft, again super valuable for them.

I think Grier and Holland are just trying to get the best deal they can, but if they remain stubborn it’s not happening.

Nah for some reason I thought it was a few years. He’s no better than Barrie, I have zero interest
This isn't a Mike Grier go or no go. This will be the owner's call on if and how much of $39,000,000 owing Karlsson he will absorb (on top of the retained millions on Burns and Jones). But this certainly a massive decision falling to a rookie GM.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Macblender

May 5, 2014
San Jose is staring at a 40M dollar bill for a guy who won’t drag your team to being relevant but also will keep you good enough to miss out on top picks, take him off that team this year and they have the best odds at a generational player. Not to mention this player completely decides where he moves, if he wants to move at all, and by the sounds of it he’s willing to move to a team that’s willing to pay the bigger half of that 40M dollar bill. Grier is a rookie gm and doesn’t want to get cleaned out on his first big move but he’s probably also got an owner looking at 40M owed to one guy and an irrelevant team ready for a rebuild and Id wager he’s telling Grier, if you have the chance move him. They likely won’t have the stars line up again to trade him, Holland should hardball them, this is what I’m willing to pay, this is what I need for retention, take it or leave it and if you leave it then I’m going in another direction spending my assets and won’t be interested in the summer or the future.
I tend to completely agree with this. However, it is a chance at a generational player (or lets say very very good player) which only grows to 25% ish if you are in last place and secondly your comment banks on SJS ownership wanting to full fledged rebuild which we just dont know - this is 4 years of retention so it better be damn worth it. For instance would we be pumped if we were retaining $5.75M against the cap (50% of Karlsson's deal) in the first year of Bedard's first contract after his ELC?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think it was just Gregor and/or Rishaug spitballing how much the Oilers needed but I think Lebrun was the one that said SJ was open to any amount…of course I could be mistaken too.
Thanks for this! So much noise getting thrown out and a lot without context. From what I've seen or read Lebrun has seemed pretty skeptical on any deal getting done. But the information by trade deadline gossip girls is all over the place.

Reactions: Faelko

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The Leafs don't draft until the 5th round in this years draft. If they lose in the first round, it is going to be absolutely hilarious.
What do you mean if? Lol

Maybe I’m wrong but I just don’t see Tampa going out in the first round. Even last year I don’t think that series was as close as it looked. Tampa was giving them the ole rope a dope but knocked them out when it mattered. Even Vasy wasn’t his typical world beating self for big parts of that series.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Sharks can just take back Campbell instead of retaining on Karlsson. At least they have an active player instead of dead cap. Their contract lengths are even. He was a mistake signing.. he’s a 2M caliber goalie.. he can be the Sharks’ tank commander
Or they can take back functional NHL players on shorter term that they can keep or sell off for additional assets. Players like Barrie, Yamamoto, Foegele, Puljujarvi. Hard argument to make - "hey take 30% off $39,000,000 and we'll throw in an immovable object! One you might even have to buy-out for more money in 2-3 years."

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Posted a new R & P thread as this one is approaching 60 pages if a mod wants to lock this one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad