Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Road to the Draft June 28th and 29th Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oilers need to get better as it is imperative we finish 1st in the division this year. Consecutive 2nd place finishes have led to 2 bouts with LA from which we won but were battered in key areas physically. That cannot happen for a 3rd straight year. Finish 1st, so LA and Vegas beat the hell out of each other instead.
Yup, if we won the division I think we make the Cup Final as LA probably takes a piece out of Vegas and we would be matched up with the apathetic Jets.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yup, if we won the division I think we make the Cup Final as LA probably takes a piece out of Vegas and we would be matched up with the apathetic Jets.
I think having home ice in the second round makes a huge difference. People underestimate it now. Game 5 is just a huge game and you want it to be at home.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm just here for @Drivesaitl's thoughts
Wasn't around for awhile to see this query.

Weird move on surface, but the deal probably better understood given some details and with more going back to Winnipeg being paring cap and crowded roster. Briefly said Iafallo has not been worth his 4M. He's plateaued if not sunk and also in and out of lineup with injuries. he isn't a reliable part on the Kings roster in 2023. he was maybe in years earlier.

Far as Vilardi he's quite the talent, I like the player but the constant with him has been significant injury history deepsixing his career and precluding even playing. This last season was thought to be the first season where he'll be healthy but even that didn't pan out. A healthy Vilardi is worth a lot, but he isn't that. I suspect the Kings know this by now.

Kupari another talent but one the Kings have pretty clearly given up on. He had his chances and was mostly a peripheral player that looks pretty with the puck on occasion but just doesn't produce a drop.

Still, if I'm a Kings fan I don't like the trade. But in Lotusland the biggest name in the deal is coming the Kings way. PLD would have some name recognition and also adds more size.

Last comment is Kings have often had a numbers game going on and cutting some players out that werent in the lineup due to injuries a lot makes room for other prospects to be constants in the lineup.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There is lots of <1m quality vet defenseman that will make free agency.
Pluggin holes at 2rw and 3RD with a vet is a start. Its not enough to beat Vegas--a little adjustment by them and a similar strategy beats us again.
I am not so sure I agree with your first statement unless you are willing to drop the quality part. It;s actually a rather thin UFA pool for defensemen this year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I am not so sure I agree with your first statement unless you are willing to drop the quality part. It;s actually a rather thin UFA pool for defensemen this year.

We are talking about bottom pairing guys though.
Gudas, Hamonic, OEL, Mayfield, Clifton, Schenn, De Haan.
All guys who can play the right side and shouldn't be all that expensive.

Yeah not a lot of high end guys but we aren't looking for that.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We are talking about bottom pairing guys though.
Gudas, Hamonic, OEL, Mayfield, Clifton, Schenn, De Haan.
All guys who can play the right side and shouldn't be all that expensive.

Yeah not a lot of high end guys but we aren't looking for that.
Gudas made $2.5M last year and is looking for a raise. Mayfiled is looking for $4-5M or so. If Schenn was willing to sign for $1M he would already have signed with the Leafs. My guess is he is looking for $2-3M minimum. OEL won't sign for anywhere close to $1M but if he would there is no question that he'd be a great get. Clifton is 28 and just put up 23 points with 5 goals. There is just not much there in terms of affordable quality defenders.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He put the team in this situation. He was reactive to Bouchard and should have locked him in.

It's nothing but excuses to not upgrade the team and just hope Broberg and Holloway wins you games.
Posts like this are so asinine. It's the same old same old schtick. Some poster comes out of the woodworks lamenting Holland and how he does nothing, and disappear again when he does (because he's been pretty damn consistent with upgrading the team - not always a win, but he's doing alright). We'll see if you're still around once the dust settles...

Lazy poster.

Reactions: TB12

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Are you talking about the Helsinki Oilers of Liga????
I liked JP for the previous 2 seasons, but I hated him this past season.

Say no to re-treads. No to Hall, no to Eberle, no to Sam Gagner, no to Cogliano.
Lets just move on from the past.

We don't need Petry, we don't need Pat Maroon, we don't need Lucic.

There's just better players available.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Kulak has been outstanding two playoffs in a row. He was arguably more effective than Nurse even in both. That's enough for me to bank on.
Which is why he would have value. If he was average, his contract would be immovable.

The only thing that matters is the fact that moving him would free up a net $1.8m. He's a luxury the Oilers do not have room for on their bottom pairing.

Foegele is in the same boat.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
This COMPLETELY. You never see the top teams Vegas, TB, Colorado etc just smiling and sitting doing nothing. They are changing pieces and working cap magic, dealing futures for now, yet still having an incredible outlook. I heard Vegas was the youngest team in the league?!?!
Hey guys like RNH just hide in the basement, they let others lead

That's how the Oilers run

Monsters like Mcdavid know this. They are just too nice to say it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad