Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Sleepy Holland"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I think the scale of some of the trade (like Meier) are encouraging. If the Oilers want to do something significant, there should be some willing dance partners out there.

In an effort to add impact D (e.g. Karlsson #1, Chychrun #2, Ekholm #3, Parayko #4) I would imagine the Oilers - for contract reasons - would be trying to move out at least three of the following:

Campbell, Ceci, Kulak, Puljuujarvi, Yamamoto, Foegele, Janmark

Then movable cheap players and other assets:

Any draft pick (including 1st in 2023, 2024 and 2025)
Bouchard
Broberg
Holloway
Bourgault
Schaefer
Lavoie
Savoie
Tullio
Niemelainen
Kesselring

If they can get creative, it might be possible to do something significant and add one of the aforementioned D along with a couple of more productive forwards who are under team control. Karlsson is actually the player that makes the most sense in terms of a deal where the other party would take Campbell back. They both have 4 years left on their deals after this season. The Oilers could actually agree to take on nearly the entire cap hit on Karlsson (11.5M) if the Sharks took back Campbell, Barrie and JP (12.5M) (plus picks and maybe a B prospect) - have the Sharks also take Janmark (1.25M), retain 50% on Reimer (1.125M) and send Lorentz/Gregor and Bonino to the Oilers. The Sharks could easily flip out Barrie this year or next for another asset (2nd rounder+ likely). Before dismissing this out of hand - look at the scale of trade happening right now.

You have to consider SJ's position - they are in full rebuild now. They can completely shift their salary structure in 2-3 years by moving out Karlsson. Campbell becomes a risky proposition - but is an NHL player and could bounce back down the road. There's also a case to be made that Campbell still isn't on a deal any worse than half a dozen other keepers. Their alternative is probably just keeping Karlsson indefinitely - and the 7.5M in additional expense tied to his deal compared to Karlsson's.

Campbell is tradable. Some people don't seem to want to believe it. He's not the only bad contract in the league. Other goalies that don't have full trade protection and have terrible contracts include: Binnington, Gibson, Grubauer, Drieger, Murray, Nedeljevic... then you have other decent guys with ok contracts but no trade protection like Saros, Hart, Jarry and Demko.

Holland made the mistake of signing Campbell, but it isn't impossible to get out from under that mistake. Acquiring Karlsson is the best hope to achieve that. It's a huge risk - but the Oilers are in that 2 season window now where they have to take significant risks to win it all.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The buck in buck out problem is rearing its ugly head.

Not many teams willing to retain 25% for multiple years as a 3rd party
Yup. Other GM's hold all the leverage and Holland can't do a thing about it. Every morning I check and hope he pulls off a miracle but that isn't happening. And if he does get someone by (I think) Friday, it'll be a player the team doesn't need. lol. Prove me wrong, Holland. Make it happen. Get Karlsson some how. lol

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
I have a feeling we see a minor move today, I don’t have any sources, just a feeling in my gut… could be too many Zyn pouches. Holland knows the pressure is mounting and a minor move would keep the wolves at bay for a few days.

Kostin is ready to return and I don’t think we want to send Desharnais down. We clearly value Lafferty and Jeannot just went (for waaaaaay to much).

Calling JP + 2nd for Lafferty. 3:07 PM. First broken by Mean Gene Principe. Mediterranean Pizza will be Bob’s go to pizza today. (I know I’ll get one of those right at least)

Reactions: Sanchez

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This could be an interesting day. It also could be a Holland does f*** all day. The suspense continues.....
I'm still hopeful, for whatever reason, that something positive comes the team's way, the players are out there and the assets exist, but I still not sure.

My worry is we'll be told why Klingberg and Bjugstad are difference makers, instead of getting actual difference makers.

Reactions: Sanchez

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yup. Other GM's hold all the leverage and Holland can't do a thing about it. Every morning I check and hope he pulls off a miracle but that isn't happening. And if he does get someone by (I think) Friday, it'll be a player the team doesn't need. lol. Prove me wrong, Holland. Make it happen. Get Karlsson some how. lol
This off season could be interesting.

Yams, foegeie and Bison king need to be moved or allowed to walk and replaced with guys on 1 Mill contracts

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wakey wakey Kenny.

Nap time is over lad. We need a top pairing D man and probably another depth D man.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Wakey wakey Kenny.

Nap time is over lad. We need a top pairing D man and probably another depth D man.
Leave the poor man alone...its not even noon....his geritol doesn't even show up till like 11

Lots of teams loading up. I don’t think Chychrun and Ekholm are still going to be there by Friday. Go get one of them, Kenny. I don’t even care what the cost is.
Ekholm shhhuuuure would be nice but after what Nashville got for Jeannot....

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’m just basing it off the Jeannot trade. Mind you Jeannot is dirt cheap but he did just go for 5 picks and a roster player. I don’t see why a team wouldn’t be desperate enough to give up an earlier pick for Yamamoto who had similar numbers to Jeannot last season and who can be an effective bottom 6 player. JP would be more wishful thinking but maybe a couple of GMs think he still has potential.

As @Fourier said it was a very unique set of circumstances and Tampa made an offer Nashville couldn’t refuse.

The reality is PJ would be long gone if any GM thought the potential was worth anything near a 3rd and Yamo’s year this year completely undoes anything he did prior - and now add in $3M x 2 years for what little he does.

In a flat cap world he equates to a cap dump which we have to give up a 2nd or 3rd (or both) just to get rid of him (see Kassians trade).

Nobody is taking either player at their salary cost for a 1st or 2nd.

dontknow

Mar 17, 2022
Does anyone really believe KH has the brain power to pull off a trade on a gameday? I don't think anything happens today. Tomorrow, got to be tomorrow

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I wonder if the Jeannot trade slows things down until the deadline now....sellers going to ask for more now and buyers will have to wait then out.

Reactions: xoczar99ox

Macblender

May 5, 2014
We honestly need a pker pretty bad no excuse to not fix the coaching issue there when we are rolling out the same personnel and are 20 positions or so worse this year league wide on the PK. But like maybe we need a decent upgrade there as well as D.

That would make for a good deadline imo but like the d needs that upgrade

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
LeBrun was on 1260 just now and says Holland is talking to a bunch of teams, which we knew already. LeBrun said he heard the ask for Ekholm was 2 first round picks. That's a good start; you can negotiate that from 2 firsts to maybe a first and a lower pick/prospect.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Yeah like I am not sure how we are doubting he is talking to people he is just risk averse and doesn’t like paying anything he seems risky (I.e. pretty much anything of value including 4th round picks haha)

Reactions: Echodek

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
LeBrun was on 1260 just now and says Holland is talking to a bunch of teams, which we knew already. LeBrun said he heard the ask for Ekholm was 2 first round picks. That's a good start; you can negotiate that from 2 firsts to maybe a first and a lower pick/prospect.

Give them a 2024 1st and Bouchard along with whatever other draft picks it takes for them to retain 50% and take Yamo.

Reactions: Kerberos

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Give them a 2024 1st and Bouchard along with whatever other draft picks it takes for them to retain 50% and take Yamo.
I still hold that if you are upgrading Ld you need to move Kulak in the deal as we need Broberg low cap next season and helps with the cap.

Like Kulak + yamo is only a little short of Ekholm full salary. Bouchard goes then we are still running an inexperienced right side with a very weak top end.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
I’ve come to terms with Gostisbehere and Bjugstad, and with Holland patting himself on the back for those moves. Sadly those are my expectations at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: McTonyBrar

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I still hold that if you are upgrading Ld you need to move Kulak in the deal as we need Broberg low cap next season and helps with the cap.

Like Kulak + yamo is only a little short of Ekholm full salary. Bouchard goes then we are still running an inexperienced right side with a very weak top end.

You can move Ekholm to the right side, he plays both. Broberg could move to the right side as well but not ideal.

Nurse Ekholm
Broberg Ceci
Kulak Barrie
as a 6

Nurse VD/Ceci
Ekholm Broberg/VD
Kulak Barrie
as a 7

Either way we could use a top 4 LD and a RD - maybe you move Kulak for Ghost.

No easy solutions to this salary train wreck of a D corps we have.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Again, I am not expecting this to happen but if there was any thought of moving Campbell is this the sort of deal that could make sense. What more needs to be added to get SJ to bite.

To SJ Bouchard, 2023 1st, Yamamoto, JP, 2024 2nd, Petrov, Campbell $1.2M retained

To Edmonton: Karlsson $3.2M retained, Reimer $1.125 M retained by third team

It might seem that Campbell is untradeable but SJ will need a goalie for the next few years and the FA market for goalies is brutal next year. Campbell at $3.8M for 4 years may not be a terrible risk for a team that is definitely not going to be in a win mode until at least 2026-27. They will pay about that for any of the FA's they might sign. At that point Campbell has one more year left and could be bought out very cheaply.

Including Bouchard is risky from the Oilers perspective but he is also potentially looking at a bigger cap hit than his contribution might justify. For SL he would be moving into his prime years just as their picks start to mature.

Last edited:

KanesThrowaway

Aug 24, 2021
Again, I am not expecting this to happen but if there was any thought of moving Campbell.

To SJ Bouchard, 2013 1st, Yamamoto, JP, 2024 2nd, Petrov, Campbell $1.2M retained

To Edmonton: Karlsson $3.2M retained, Reimer $1.125 M retained by third team

It might seem that Campbell is untradeable but SJ will need a goalie for the next few years and the FA market for goalies is brutal next year Campbell at $3.8M for 4 years may not be a terrible risk for a team that is definitely not going to be in a win mode until at least 2026-27. They will pau about that for any of the FA's they might sign. At that point Campbell has one more year left and could be bought out very cheaply.

Including Bouchard is risky from the Oilers perspective but he is also potentially looking at a bigger cap hit than his contribution might justify. For SL he would be moving into his prime years just as their picks start to mature.

The odds of the Oilers trading Campbell are incredibly low, not necessarily because of his contract/performance (we've seen worse players be moved), but because he's a recently signed UFA on a long term deal and those contracts are almost never moved. Holland is too respectful to give up on Campbell so soon, even if it hurts the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad