Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread II | I Dealt The Word 'Trade' For A Thread Count. Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Just over 5 weeks until the draft. Just over 6 weeks until free agency begins.

In 7 weeks, we should have a good idea of what this team is going to look like next year.

In 5 weeks or less, we could be saying goodbye to some beloved players like Nuge or Eberle

I think it's going to be a very busy offseason for the Oilers, with lots of moving pieces.

I think right now seeing how well Hall and McDavid are dominating the WHC goes to show that the team should be built around them. There are obvious chemistry problems in the room, maybe that stems from a Hall-Nuge-Eberle dynamic, I don't know.

I'm starting to wonder too if both Nuge and Eberle are moved out. I really hope we can get Faulk for a Nuge+ trade instead of shipping out Drai.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I think it's going to be a very busy offseason for the Oilers, with lots of moving pieces.

I think right now seeing how well Hall and McDavid are dominating the WHC goes to show that the team should be built around them. There are obvious chemistry problems in the room, maybe that stems from a Hall-Nuge-Eberle dynamic, I don't know.

Calling B.S. on this.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Calling B.S. on this.

When Smid, Petry, Hemsky and Perron got traded. All had something to say about a click on the team. While it's not direct but you can sense what they meant.

It's not really the golden boys fault. It's the previous management for anointing them as the core and making everyone else feel belittled.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I'm starting to wonder too if both Nuge and Eberle are moved out. I really hope we can get Faulk for a Nuge+ trade instead of shipping out Drai.

Calling B.S. on this.

I'm not sure I do, but I don't know if I'd call it chemistry problems. McLellan's comments about how quiet the room was when Hendricks was out are pretty telling. Every team needs a mix of leadership - you need quiet guys that just want to go about their business, you need happy-go-lucky goofballs that keep the rest of the guys loose and grounded, and you need take no BS drill sergeants that will call out ******** and slacking when they see it and keep the guys in line. I don't think we have enough of 2 and 3 - Hall's a pretty reserved guy, Nuge rarely makes a peep, McDavid's a rookie, and a lot of the vets - to put it bluntly - are just here to earn a paycheck.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
When Smid, Petry, Hemsky and Perron got traded. All had something to say about a click on the team. While it's not direct but you can sense what they meant.

I don't recall that happening. Most of the comments were directed more at coaching and management than any particular players. If you have a specific quote that references dressing room issues, please to be providing it.

It's not really the golden boys fault. It's the previous management for anointing them as the core and making everyone else feel belittled

This is simply gossip-mongering.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

that would be my perfect scenario too
RNH+ for Faulk (not sure why Carolina trades him but I digress)
sign Demers
find a 3-line C (Shaw?)
keep Eberle IMO
keep 4th overall and draft Tkachuk/Dubois
find takers for Fayne, Korpse, Pouliot
sign Ladd...haha

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Because you have no way of determining that.

I'm looking at how motivated Hall is when he plays for Team Canada vs. Oilers.

I'm also looking at how bad the Oilers are and how good the individual players are.

I think it's pretty obvious that there are locker room issues. I think even Yakupov has alluded to it.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I'm looking at how motivated Hall is when he plays for Team Canada vs. Oilers.

I'm also looking at how bad the Oilers are and how good the individual players are.

Or maybe they are bad because of the roster construction (ie the lack of a real NHL-calibre D-corps). Occam's razor and all that.

I think it's pretty obvious that there are locker room issues. I think even Yakupov has alluded to it

You mean the guy who seems to have a cloud of issues following him everywhere like a bad smell?

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I'm not sure I do, but I don't know if I'd call it chemistry problems. McLellan's comments about how quiet the room was when Hendricks was out are pretty telling. Every team needs a mix of leadership - you need quiet guys that just want to go about their business, you need happy-go-lucky goofballs that keep the rest of the guys loose and grounded, and you need take no BS drill sergeants that will call out ******** and slacking when they see it and keep the guys in line. I don't think we have enough of 2 and 3 - Hall's a pretty reserved guy, Nuge rarely makes a peep, McDavid's a rookie, and a lot of the vets - to put it bluntly - are just here to earn a paycheck.

This is a good point. We don't have Reasoner, Stoll and Greene coupled with Jason Smith, The Assistant Captain Ethan Moreau and Ryan Smyth.

Very, very good point. We have Hendricks. I can't think of a single mischief maker.

Anyone remember Penner scaring the hell out of his roommates with that mask in Jasper? It has been a long time.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Much of the trade speculation around the upcoming draft surrounds Edmonton at number four, but is it possible things really begin with Columbus one pick higher?

The conventional wisdom is the Blue Jackets will go with Jesse Puljujarvi there, as Toronto and Winnipeg are expected to take Auston Matthews and Patrik Laine one-two.

Columbus needs centres as much as anything. If the Jackets believe Puljujarvi can play there long-term, it’s a no-brainer. If not, could they trade down a couple spots, add an asset and still get, say, Logan Brown? Might be something to consider.

From Freidmans 30 thoughts

How about we just make this simple Columbus, RNH or 4th (PLD) for Jones :naughty:

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
What about a possible Nuge + Eberle for Faulk and picks?
We then use those picks to help acquire an RFA Dman.

If we are moving out two top six forwards I think we should either do it after signing one or pick one up in a trade.

I would really like Jordan Staal out of there. Especially if you can retain. But then the centres are extremely expensive.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
All day everyday for me. Move out 12M and bring in 5M. And then sign Eriksson to replace Eberle.

Depending on the picks and a guaranteed Eriksson. How many years? How many do we want to give a player like him anyways?

Then we have a huge hole at number 3 centre. Who do we sign to fill in there? I like the idea of acquiring Coyle.

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
that would be my perfect scenario too
RNH+ for Faulk (not sure why Carolina trades him but I digress)
sign Demers
find a 3-line C (Shaw?)
keep Eberle IMO
keep 4th overall and draft Tkachuk/Dubois
find takers for Fayne, Korpse, Pouliot
sign Ladd...haha

Opposite for me... plus has move value league wide than huge.
Deals I feel like we could see...

Drai for Faulk
Korpo + Fayne +3rd +2nd 2017 for Bozak
Eberle for severson + 2nd
Yak for petrovic + 2nd

Sign Eriksson +Stempniak + Gryba

Maroon Mcdavid Eriksson
Hall RNH Stempniak
Pouliot Bozak Kassian
Hendricks Letestu Pak
Lander

Sekera Faulk
Kelfbom Severson
Davidson petrovic
Osterle Gryba

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Depending on the picks and a guaranteed Eriksson. How many years? How many do we want to give a player like him anyways?

Then we have a huge hole at number 3 centre. Who do we sign to fill in there? I like the idea of acquiring Coyle.

5yrs x 6? Eriksson would be our Hossa. We've seen what Hossa did for the youth in Chicago. When they signed him I believe that was the turning point of their success.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
As much as I'd like to see a top defender I think its more likely you see a d by committee style team.

Chia gave 5.5 to Sekera as a #3 so he could maybe go after Barrie for big money but I just don't think he wants that kind of player.

I'm still hopeful pietro or parayko could be coaxed out of st. Louis. Especially if they need cap help after a cup run and are drunk with glory after a win.

But yeah if you go by his MO you could see chia deal for quantity or deal scraps for useful physical depth guys.

The bottom line is if they are healthy they will be out of the gutter. If they cobble together a group playing a solid team game then they will be competitive.

Not sure the top pairing guy is in the cards yet.

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016

A 3rd to STL for Sobotka?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad