Rumor: Rumors & Proposal Thread: Return of the Two-Headed Thread Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Maybe. Dean Lombardi doesn't seem like a guy who would blow it up based on 1 first round exit. That is assuming they lose the series. They were down 2-0 to St. Louis last year and won 4 straight.

He might tinker. Something might be available, but he's not gonna start trading off players like crazy.

If they keep playing like this, someone's going to get axed. Game 3 is going to be a real test. No idea why they left Quick in there.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
If they keep playing like this, someone's going to get axed. Game 3 is going to be a real test. No idea why they left Quick in there.

If it's Darryl Sutter, I drive Eakins to the airport. **** continuity on that level.

As for players, I'm thinking Dustin Brown leaves. Richards and Martinez perhaps, too.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
That would be awesome, but they would never do that (unless the + was our 3rd OA)

Maybe Leino + Myers for Gagner + pick or prospect.

We need to overpay for Markov or Boyle on a 2 year deal, or Niskanen or Nikitin on a 4-5 year deal

I'd certainly be all over trying to get Myers. I'd like a different coach to teach him but the guy has the tools for sure.

One other guy I keep mentioning is Joakim Andersson from Detroit. He'll be available due to numbers game and he'll become that #3 C for years to come. Big, long reach and hard to play against. Kills penalties better than anyone we have.

Mcnofool6110

Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
I'd certainly be all over trying to get Myers. I'd like a different coach to teach him but the guy has the tools for sure.

One other guy I keep mentioning is Joakim Andersson from Detroit. He'll be available due to numbers game and he'll become that #3 C for years to come. Big, long reach and hard to play against. Kills penalties better than anyone we have.

What makes you think he'll be available? Not being a dick, just curious, because I'd be all over that too. #2C/#3C tweener. Reminds me of Hanzal, just a little.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If it's Darryl Sutter, I drive Eakins to the airport. **** continuity on that level.

As for players, I'm thinking Dustin Brown leaves. Richards and Martinez perhaps, too.

You think? I guess Brown has always had a weird relationship there. He'd be great here. Problem is there's nothing to trade for him and his style of play doesn't equal long term. Sens would be a good fit. I think Martinez is a given. Wouldn't think Richards but we'll see. Guessing Clifford is gone and you know what that means in this board. I'd still take a flyer but talk about drop off.

Should be interesting though.

Mcnofool6110

Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
You think? I guess Brown has always had a weird relationship there. He'd be great here. Problem is there's nothing to trade for him and his style of play doesn't equal long term. Sens would be a good fit. I think Martinez is a given. Wouldn't think Richards but we'll see. Guessing Clifford is gone and you know what that means in this board. I'd still take a flyer but talk about drop off.

Should be interesting though.

Brown's brought nothing all season and brought very little in the playoffs. If anything, that marks a change - lets Doughty (the real leader of the team) be captain, brings the focus back on defence, and lets them play Toffoli in a marquee role. My thinking, anyways.

Martinez is definitely out (I'd take that) and Richards because contract and performance - it's been abysmal. Thinking they take that cap space and make a run at a high talent free agent - Paul Stastny, perhaps. Maybe Brad Richards, if he's bought out.

Dunno about Clifford, really. He's not very good anymore.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Tambo had interest in Dustin Brown back at a trade deadline a few years ago before the Kings pulled him off the market last minute (2012)

A good player, but now he's an elite 3rd liner being paid 5.875M. So, no thanks. Also a dirty player but I don't tend to care about that when he's on my team.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Hopefully this series shows why it would be silly to sign Matt Greene as anything other than a no.7 d-man. Foot speed is gone.

6 years of Mike Richards at 5.75M...not sure I would do that unless it were a Richards for Gagner+ swap. Somthing like Gagner and Philip Larsen for Richards. I would also expect that if we draft Bennett, Reinhart or Draisaitl, that Richards would become a Horcoff-like 3rd liner. He's a much better two-way C than Gagner

The Kings might have interest just to get some long-term contract relief. I'd still like the Oilers to avoid overspending on forwards though.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
What makes you think he'll be available? Not being a dick, just curious, because I'd be all over that too. #2C/#3C tweener. Reminds me of Hanzal, just a little.

Sheahan isn't going anywhere. Great young player btw.
Helm is back and playing better than ever.
Glendening simply took his job and just was rewarded with a new deal.
Weiss is still there.
Then obviously Datsyuk and Zetterberg..

They've played him at wing a few times lately but he's not a winger. It's simply a numbers game. I don't think anyone thought Sheahan would bring the scoring he's shown.

I think they'll try to move Weiss also but not sure they can. I fully anticipate he makes a nice addition to whoever gets him though and he might be a guy to look at depending on the draft and how things shake out with Gagner.

Anderson though brings a lot to Tge table that the oilers lack

Mcnofool6110

Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Sheahan isn't going anywhere. Great young player btw.
Helm is back and playing better than ever.
Glendening simply took his job and just was rewarded with a new deal.
Weiss is still there.
Then obviously Datsyuk and Zetterberg..

They've played him at wing a few times lately but he's not a winger. It's simply a numbers game. I don't think anyone thought Sheahan would bring the scoring he's shown.

I think they'll try to move Weiss also but not sure they can. I fully anticipate he makes a nice addition to whoever gets him though and he might be a guy to look at depending on the draft and how things shake out with Gagner.

Anderson though brings a lot to Tge table that the oilers lack

I dunno if they'd keep Helm over Andersson, to be honest. I'd keep Andersson over Helm, but yeah. Would be awesome to get him then.

I should really watch more Wings hockey. It's one team I haven't gotten around to in the last little bit.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Petry for BOTH Schenns? I wouldn't trade either Luke or Braden alone for Petry if I was Philly... You are severely overvaluing him..

If you look reeeeeealy closely you'll see the + in my post. That would be a decent plus, not the usual throw in around here of a guy like Musil.

Also, I'd take Petry over Luke easily. He looks bad here because he is a 3/4 guy who is forced to play as a 1/2. If Philly has Streit/Coburn as their top pair it would take a lot of pressure off a guy like Petry. Also, as I stated, Petry as an RFA who will likely sign in the $2.5M range would look a lot more attractive to Philly than Luke at $3.6M.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Hopefully this series shows why it would be silly to sign Matt Greene as anything other than a no.7 d-man. Foot speed is gone.

6 years of Mike Richards at 5.75M...not sure I would do that unless it were a Richards for Gagner+ swap. Somthing like Gagner and Philip Larsen for Richards. I would also expect that if we draft Bennett, Reinhart or Draisaitl, that Richards would become a Horcoff-like 3rd liner. He's a much better two-way C than Gagner

The Kings might have interest just to get some long-term contract relief. I'd still like the Oilers to avoid overspending on forwards though.

An interesting aspect of the Kings disgraceful performance so far? It might open them up to becoming more interested in a Sam Gagner.

I'm still going to stand by my thoughts though that Sam ends up in Nashville, even though Jarnkrok played well for them at the end of the season, or NJ.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I dunno if they'd keep Helm over Andersson, to be honest. I'd keep Andersson over Helm, but yeah. Would be awesome to get him then.

I should really watch more Wings hockey. It's one team I haven't gotten around to in the last little bit.

Helm must've had some weird Brazilian transplant in the year he took off. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone with worse hands and now somehow they work. We used to joke around about what Helm would be like with hands. It's been amazing how good he's been and with wheels like he has, that's one threat.

Yea, he's actually came back a better player. He's not going anywhere. I was in Windsor/Detroit most of my life and always followed them even though I was bred a Leafs fan. I have to say these guys are fun to watch. Their young players are going to be stupid good with all that speed.

Another piece of that organization the Oilers need to move on is Blashill. I was talking to someone Friday who told me, he's hearing Vancouver is going to make a move for him. IMO, best coach not coaching in the NHL and he's great with getting the most out of young guys. Great teacher and communicator. Something it looks like Eakins isn't.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Going into next year, I'd be looking to take on salary as well as some solid hockey players for pennies on the dollar. Guys like Bryan Bickell, Mike Richards, maybe even a David Clarkson (although, he might be bit of a gamble.) We only have 45,507,500 on the books next year, with the cap projected at 68 mill, we have basically 22.5 mil to work with.

Bickell would be a great addition, flat out. The later two present some risk, but if we can acquire them suddenly we have a lot of assets... Who knows, maybe you can get Clarkson at 50%.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Bickell-Richards-Yakupov
Perron-Gagner-Clarkson
Gazdic-Hendricks-Gordon

I think you could quite easily move Perron, Gagner, and maybe the 2015 first and improve the quality of the defense quite easily. Perron's value is likely at its alltime high.

Could end up with a roster something like:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Bickell-Richards-Yakupov
Kulemin-Bennett-Clarkson
Gazdic-Hendricks-Gordon

Klefbom-Myers
Marincin-Schultz
Ference-Engelland

Scrivens
Fasth

That gives us just under 6 million in cap space going forward if we assume we overpay Schultz (4 million), Engelland (1.5m), Gazdic (1m), Kulemin (3.8), and Bennett makes rookie max. Thats with Clarkson at 50% retained, although the roster almost looks better if you take him out and put in Steve Downie for the same monies.

Assets leaving would be Gagner, Perron, 2015 first, Petry, Lander, Pitlick, maybe a David Musil.

I dont think it is overly unrealistic, leaves us with some question marks on defence, but it remakes our 2nd line, gives us a brand new 3rd line all like MacT and Stauffer have hinted at. I think that roster competes for the playoffs if the top line produces like we know it can and the secondary scoring comes with the same defensive structure and goaltending our current group has had. As Richards fades into senility, Bennett takes his place as 2C, when Kulemin's contract is up one of Khiara/Moroz/Chase/Hamilton finds a place in the pros.

I think we are in a position to improve rapidly this offseason, if Katz pockets allow it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Tambo had interest in Dustin Brown back at a trade deadline a few years ago before the Kings pulled him off the market last minute (2012)

A good player, but now he's an elite 3rd liner being paid 5.875M. So, no thanks. Also a dirty player but I don't tend to care about that when he's on my team.

In 6 seasons from 07/08 - 12/13 (pro rating last years lockout season) Dustin Brown has averaged: 27 goals and 55 points. This season was the first time in more than 1/2 a decade he has been off that mark.

This was the worst statistical full season of his entire career. He's only 29 years old and plays on a team that had a large number of players put up their worst seasons offensively in years.

Other than Anze Kopitar there isn't a prominent player on the Kings that didn't have a down year. Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Justin Williams, Dustin Brown... all of these guys produced way below career expectations this season.

Dustin Brown is the exact type of player imo that the Oilers should be targeting. A guy who is still in his prime, who has had a long track record of proven consistent production who has had an off season. Partially I'm sure the down year is due to him just not being as good this year, but partially probably because the entire team struggles to score under Sutter's system.

Just under 6 million a year is far too much for a guy who puts up 15 goals and 30 points. But it is just about right for a guy who will score you 25 goals, put up 55 points be a good team presence in the locker room and will be one of the most physical, hard hitting players in the entire league.

It's the same reason why I would jump at a chance to pick up Mike Richards on the cheap. The LA Kings are a very good hockey team. One of the elite in the league when they really get their game going. But something about the system sucks offense out of established offensively gifted NHL players.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I know Belov is not the player the Oilers fans will go nuts about leaving. Still for what it's worth a quote from Belov:

:laugh: it's just hilarious thinking back to the offseason and how many good coaches were available yet we end up with Eakins. One more season of misery and maybe then we will get it right and hire a decent NHL coach.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Going into next year, I'd be looking to take on salary as well as some solid hockey players for pennies on the dollar. Guys like Bryan Bickell, Mike Richards, maybe even a David Clarkson (although, he might be bit of a gamble.) We only have 45,507,500 on the books next year, with the cap projected at 68 mill, we have basically 22.5 mil to work with.

Bickell would be a great addition, flat out. The later two present some risk, but if we can acquire them suddenly we have a lot of assets... Who knows, maybe you can get Clarkson at 50%.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Bickell-Richards-Yakupov
Perron-Gagner-Clarkson
Gazdic-Hendricks-Gordon

I think you could quite easily move Perron, Gagner, and maybe the 2015 first and improve the quality of the defense quite easily. Perron's value is likely at its alltime high.

Could end up with a roster something like:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Bickell-Richards-Yakupov
Kulemin-Bennett-Clarkson
Gazdic-Hendricks-Gordon

Klefbom-Myers
Marincin-Schultz
Ference-Engelland

Scrivens
Fasth

That gives us just under 6 million in cap space going forward if we assume we overpay Schultz (4 million), Engelland (1.5m), Gazdic (1m), Kulemin (3.8), and Bennett makes rookie max. Thats with Clarkson at 50% retained, although the roster almost looks better if you take him out and put in Steve Downie for the same monies.

Assets leaving would be Gagner, Perron, 2015 first, Petry, Lander, Pitlick, maybe a David Musil.

I dont think it is overly unrealistic, leaves us with some question marks on defence, but it remakes our 2nd line, gives us a brand new 3rd line all like MacT and Stauffer have hinted at. I think that roster competes for the playoffs if the top line produces like we know it can and the secondary scoring comes with the same defensive structure and goaltending our current group has had. As Richards fades into senility, Bennett takes his place as 2C, when Kulemin's contract is up one of Khiara/Moroz/Chase/Hamilton finds a place in the pros.

I think we are in a position to improve rapidly this offseason, if Katz pockets allow it.

I just read an article on Richards it sounds like the reason for his worse play was a conditioning issue related to an illness he suffered in December, his number to that point were quite good, after that not so much. A healthy Richards would be a god send to us, any reasonable price I think I'd pay.

Not a fan of going after Bickell, I'm guessing he still has a little value around the league based on last years playoff performance, the issue is he was deployed and given minutes consistent with a 4th liner and while he can be highly effective at times, he doesn't bring it anywhere near often enough to justify paying him that kind of money.

Clarkson I am more of a fan of acquiring him provided Toronto is willing to absorb a decent portion of his cap hit, he has shown a higher level of ability in the past, I see him as a physical 3rd liner who has good work ethic and will stand up for his teammates. I also think he could serve a Pisani kind of role for us in being our first choice to play up the line-up but is really more of a fixture on the 3rd line than anything else.

Joakim Andersson is a good buy low candidate, Detroit had too many young guys step up and impress this year and he is the odd man out, he would be a good buy low candidate and I can only assume he would have to pass through waivers if he didn't make the opening night roster next year. Detroit can see this to, I'd dangle a 3rd round pick at the draft and see if we can't snatch him up.

Still skeptical on Myers, especially considering what I think it would cost to acquire him. Would prefer a more veteran defenseman, I'd like 2 elder statesmen on our d-core over the 500 games played mark.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
The red flags from players leaving are piling up. If it was one guy you could disregard it as bitterness from a player wanting more TOI. But it seems almost every player leaving has had negative comments towards coaching. Someone needs to ask MacT and Eakins about this. And try to push the players about the coaching.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The red flags from players leaving are piling up. If it was one guy you could disregard it as bitterness from a player wanting more TOI. But it seems almost every player leaving has had negative comments towards coaching. Someone needs to ask MacT and Eakins about this. And try to push the players about the coaching.

Ask them what?

Everything is fine, the right people are in charge, massive improvements, best development system in the NHL, Mact has more faith in Eakins than when he hired him, etc etc.

The ego's of egomaniacs are on the line with regards to the hiring and continued employment of Eakins. The official party line will be that everything is fine, anyone who contradicts the message will be vilified, and there is no media in the city that will call them out on their bullsh*t.

Last edited:

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013

Smid, Hemsky, Belov, Bryz, Jones ... who else is there?

Smid and Jones mentioned accountability -Smid was traded right after, Jones was demoted from the "wagon line" where he, Gordon and Hendricks were playing well together. After being traded Hemsky mentioned accountability and blaming the wrong people as well.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
My Mike Richards proposition not looking too far away right now.

Kings lost 2 very tight close games to STL last year (overtime for both perhaps??). They're getting demolished by the Sharks and will be lucky to extend the series past 4 games.

Richards will very well be in play and I hope MacT is all over it.,

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Kings bottom 4 d looks absolutely pathetic.

Regehr, Greene, and Martinez are incredibly bad and being exposed. As an aside, give me local boy Derryk Engalland over Matt Greene if we're signing a tough stay at home right-handed 3rd pairing d-man. Greene looks absolutely pathetic out there.

Kings are very tight against the cap and moving out Richards and going after a d-man makes the most logical sense.

Kopitar
Carter
Brown
Williams
Toffoli
Vey
Pearson
Gaborik?? (Or due they throw money at Moulson or Vanek)

Kings have offensive depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad