Rumor: Rumors & Proposal Thread: Return of the Two-Headed Thread Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
After some consideration, we're going to try this format again.

This is your all encompassing Rumors & Proposal Thread. As the season comes to a close and the offseason comes up around the horizon, we'll be updating the OP of these threads with active and credible rumors.. The thread title may also change depending on how hot a rumor gets.

---

RUMORS

Possible Gagner and Bailey Swap?
‏@RossCreekNation
On @OilersNow, @StapeNewsday suggests Isles & Oil may hook up on a Sam Gagner/Josh Bailey swap this summer...
Trade Rumors Forum Thread on the subject. Isles Mod indicates Arthur Staple to be legit.

-

Garrioch says Eakins safe
The belief is the Oilers will stick with coach Dallas Eakins as he heads into the second year of his contract despite a disastrous rookie season.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/04/05/torts-may-pay-the-price-pk-in-line-for-big-deal

-
Bob McCown just said that he wouldn't be surprised if Bob Nicholson was President or President of Hockey Operations of the Oilers very soon.

This might be a musing but he is very close with Nicholson and I get the feeling he let something slip that he shouldn't have.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/

about 21:45 mark of the 6PM hour (April 11)

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Hockey Central ‏@SNHockeyCentral 3h
Maurice on what Evander Kane must do to get back in lineup: "Probably just come to the rink."

Hmm....

Evander Kane could be available on the cheap. He is what we need, perhaps a little raw in terms of attitude. That quote is pretty damning, as is his current lawsuit for assault charges, but he would balance out our core quite nicely in terms of playing style.

I think he needs a strong role model. Realistically we probably cannot provide that, but I think that risk is worth taking, personally.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
OK, here's my long-winded, bold moves attempt at fixing things, along with explanations as to why I think it would happen. Here goes....

3 way deal between us, CBJ and VAN: Yak to VAN, Kesler to CBJ, Dubinsky to Oil. VAN wants to get younger and Kesler wants to move on. They get a dynamic sniper to play with the Sedins and open up the 2C spot for Horvat. Columbus gets a former Selke winner with a little more dynamic offence than Dubinsky and is under contract for an extra year. We get a big, physical, defensively responsible 2C and work on an extension immediately. CBJ might add a small piece in this deal.

1st (3rd OA and Ekblad off the board) + Gordon (50% retained) for Hanzal + negotiating rights to Vrbata. PHX is similar to CGY from a few years ago - fringe playoff team, never bad enough to draft a franchise player. Ribeiro was there attempt at a dynamic offensive player, but hasn't worked out. Given their inability to spend top dollar, they finally decide to go this route (otherwise, why wouldn't they have already signed Vrbata???). We give Vrbata 4.6x5.

OTT 3rd for McQuaid. Boston needs cap room desperately and have many young guys in the fold. Ference gets his old D partner.

2nd + Musil for Bickell. Much like Boston, Hawks have major cap issues.

Sign Niskanen 6x6. A bit of an overpay for a guy who had a big year at the right time, but that's the only way you get a guy for zero assets - overpay. I look at the work he's done paired with a rookie Maatta most of the year and see a similar guy in Klefbom, and hope a similar chemistry develops.

Schultz for Read. Flyers need a RHD who is mobile, we get a poor man's Patrick Sharp in return.

Gagner for Clifford. Only happens if the Kings miss out on Gabby, but I think they get outbid by Florida.

Team looks like this (going for a Bruins strategy of 3 great lines)

Hall-Nuge-Perron
Bickell-Dubinsky-Eberle
Read-Hanzal-Vrbata
Hendricks/Arco/Clifford/Gazdic (Arco sits against the heavy lineups like LA/STL, Gazdic sits against small lineups)

Klefbom-Niskanen
Marincin-Petry
Ference-McQuaid
(please don't freak over who is on what pairing and in what order. All 3 would ideally get 20 minutes)

Scrivens
Fasth

Comes in at around 66 mil.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Hockey Central ‏@SNHockeyCentral 3h
Maurice on what Evander Kane must do to get back in lineup: "Probably just come to the rink."

Hmm....

Evander Kane could be available on the cheap. He is what we need, perhaps a little raw in terms of attitude. That quote is pretty damning, as is his current lawsuit for assault charges, but he would balance out our core quite nicely in terms of playing style.

I think he needs a strong role model. Realistically we probably cannot provide that, but I think that risk is worth taking, personally.

I don't think he'd come cheap at all.

I know we're not the team to be straightening anybody out. I stay away from these types until we're stronger as a unit.

Yikes!

I love Dubinsky, but no way I'm moving Yakupov for 1 year of Dubinsky. Wouldn't do it even if he had an extension. But along the same thought of yours, I'd try desperately to dangle Gagner for Dubinsky, going off the premise that Gagner has +1 year on his contract over Dubinsky.

Our 1st for Hanzal/Vrbata deal... the value's just not there for me.

And then the Niskanen contract, he's not what we need and is going to get paid off of a career year. Warning flags everywhere around him.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think he'd come cheap at all.

I know we're not the team to be straightening anybody out. I stay away from these types until we're stronger as a unit.

Well, i suppose cheap is a bit of a misnomer.

Discounted is probably a better word.

Anyone do Nurse+2015 2nd for Phaneuf?

Absolutely not. That guy has no brain at all... Last thing we need is for him to teach our kids how to lose games with his poor gap control, tendency to over commit to hits, and general boneheaded-ness.

Last edited:

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Would love what Kane could bring. Size, grit, speed and skill. Right D would have nightmare going up against Hall and then Kane. At 22, minor off ice issues don't concern me...I remember another Kane in similar cab driver slapping trouble and it seems to have work out ok for him.
Doubt Jets would be interested in Yakupov with Burnstrom leaving. I would give up Perron plus. Would Perron and Gagner get it done?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

No thank you.

If he gets traded, this will be the 3rd team hes been dealt to... not a good sign. I know a guy like Pronger got traded a couple times, but that was due to cap constraints and family matters, he led 3 teams to the cup finals.

Phanuef is massively overpaid, horrible attitude, and not worth a top prospect in my opinion

Nurse is the polar opposite of Phanuef. Hard working, humble, dedicated, repsectiveful. Even if Nurse tops out at a #3 Dmen, I would still rather have that type of leader in my dressing room than a cancerous #2 Dmen

Klefbom, Nurse (and maybe Ekblad) all seem to be solid leaders, don't want them getting ruined by Phanuef

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Nurse is untouchable or close to it, really.

Still interested in Phaneuf though. Makes sense that Oiler fans would hate him but hey, he'd be our best D-man by a mile. Like I said in the earlier thread, more offensive zone starts are the key with him. Would look good with Petry I believe.

I still find it funny that people go as far to call him cancerous....because they've totally been in the dressing room with him :shakehead

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Still interested in Phaneuf though. Makes sense that Oiler fans would hate him but hey, he'd be our best D-man by a mile. Like I said in the earlier thread, more offensive zone starts are the key with him. Would look good with Petry I believe.

I still find it funny that people go as far to call him cancerous....because they've totally been in the dressing room with him :shakehead

He was literally traded away from Calgary to get him off the team. At that point was a top young D in the league

Not only that but every team he played for previously (red deer, Midget/Bantam in Edmonton) had huge issues with him. You can say that it has been several years and he has matured, but his leadsherip in Toronto is still in question (see HFLeaf "Is Phanuef the worst captain in Leaf history")

Do I have to be in the room with him every minute to know hes not a good locker room presence? where there is smoke (lots of smoke) theres fire

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Who called him cancerous?

I think he is an ******* from both first hand and second hand experience, and I think he has shown consistently he plays the game too aggressively. I think his cons kind of wipe out his pros really, as a player. He isn't a guy I feel confident playing 25+ minutes a night because he consistently gets burned either from flat out bad gap control or over committing to hits.

He isn't the type of player we need. We have offensive guys, we have young kids coming in. We need a couple veteran leaders to show our kids the way like Sean O'Donnell and Rob Scuderi showed Doughty and Jack Johnson the way.

Derek Morris, Brooks Orpik, Henrique Tallinder, Dan Boyle, Matt Greene, Douglas Murray. Those are the names I'm looking for.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I find it funny that your all saying no. IMO Nurse's upside is Phaneuf. Also Phaneuf may have had a bad attitude when he was younger but people mature as the age. I doubt he's as big of a ****** bag now as he was in Calgary.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I find it funny that your all saying no. IMO Nurse's upside is Phaneuf. Also Phaneuf may have had a bad attitude when he was younger but people mature as the age. I doubt he's as big of a ****** bag now as he was in Calgary.

No. There is a huge difference there.

Phaneuf has no brain. Nurse has a tonne of brain. Maybe they play the same style, but they have a different tool box. Nurse is raw sure, but he understands the game. Nurse is smart.

Nurse won the OHL's Scholastic player of the year last year. That means he had the highest Highschool average in the OHL, likely somewhere in the 90-95% range.'

They both might be physical offensive defenceman, but they are not the same animal. Phaneuf has been known as a "caveman" since he was like 16. Big, strong, stupid.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I think he is an ******* from both first hand and second hand experience, and I think he has shown consistently he plays the game too aggressively. I think his cons kind of wipe out his pros really, as a player. He isn't a guy I feel confident playing 25+ minutes a night because he consistently gets burned either from flat out bad gap control or over committing to hits.

He isn't the type of player we need. We have offensive guys, we have young kids coming in. We need a couple veteran leaders to show our kids the way like Sean O'Donnell and Rob Scuderi showed Doughty and Jack Johnson the way.

Derek Morris, Brooks Orpik, Henrique Tallinder, Dan Boyle, Matt Greene, Douglas Murray. Those are the names I'm looking for.

I did, and stick to it. Every fanbase hes played for (even Toronto) has disliked him.

There is other options to improve the D core. Its doesn't have to be a 7m D who hasnt proven anything, and has looked his worst when the games matter.

Nurses upside probably is Phnauef (whos a good D), but there is other factors then simply that. A) He will be overpaid B) He hasnt shown to be a leader C) Hes older, and could be on the decline

And like said above, the only similarities between the two are that they like to hit people. That's it. Phanuef excelled because of his offensive skills all through junior and early NHL years. Dumba is a prospect most like Phanuef

Id be more willingly to get Bogosian. Hes overpaid and not as good, but still a good leader, and younger

Toronto got Phanuef for peanuts, in his prime and on a good salary, and now want him out (look at any HFLeaf thread regarding him). Why would the Oilers offer up a top prospect to get Phanuef, whos on the decline, and on a massive salary. He will be the most hated Oiler from day one, and will be extremely hard to trade (and get a return like Nurse)

Clarksons contract is both untradeable, and un buy outable, why not wait till Nonis has his hands tied with the cap and snatch up Phanuef in a discount trade (2nd,Musil, Slepyshev for example)

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In reality, the players we actually want from Toronto are Gunnarson and Kulemin

Gunnarsson is a solid 2nd pairing D. Would love to pair him with Petry.

Kulemin would be a good shut down 3W. Keep in mind Kulemin is a UFA, so wed either be dealing for his rights, or signing him, not much trade value.

Gunnarsson would be harder to get because his contract is pretty good at 3.15 (then 3.45 mil). But I would like to get him for Gernat and a 2nd.

I think his value is around a Marincin, but with the way Marincin has played this year, its tough to give him up.

D core of:

xxx-xxx
Gunnarsson-Petry
Klefbom/Marincin-Schultz

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
From first hand experiences with him, and some of my closest friends grew up with him, I can't stress enough how much I want Phaneuf to stay as far away from the Oilers as possible.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Now that's somewhat delusional. How can you say all of the first paragraph about being burned from gap control or over committing to hits....

and then mention Jack Johnson as someone who knows the way.....

Jack Johnson gets burned the most out of any big minute D-man in the entire NHL.

Phaneuf is also better than all of the names you listed, I'm tired of picking up "character veterans", we need actual players who can play and do not suck.

Also, not to your comment but the one above: Bogosian is a GREAT leader, that's why the Jets haven't made the playoffs yet....Bogosian is overrated.

Jun 22, 2009
Would love what Kane could bring. Size, grit, speed and skill. Right D would have nightmare going up against Hall and then Kane. At 22, minor off ice issues don't concern me...I remember another Kane in similar cab driver slapping trouble and it seems to have work out ok for him.
Doubt Jets would be interested in Yakupov with Burnstrom leaving. I would give up Perron plus. Would Perron and Gagner get it done?

We have a team of kids who think there entitled to things already, we don't need another one.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Now that's somewhat delusional. How can you say all of the first paragraph about being burned from gap control or over committing to hits....

and then mention Jack Johnson as someone who knows the way.....

Jack Johnson gets burned the most out of any big minute D-man in the entire NHL.

Phaneuf is also better than all of the names you listed, I'm tired of picking up "character veterans", we need actual players who can play and do not suck.

Also, not to your comment but the one above: Bogosian is a GREAT leader, that's why the Jets haven't made the playoffs yet....Bogosian is overrated.

I'm not saying I want Jack Johnson, merely saying that Jack Johnson was developed in a situation where he didn't have to carry a pairing until he knew the ropes of the NHL. I want our kids to be the same. I don't think any of our kids should have to carry their pairing before they are ready.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
s11rpS9.gif

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Garrioch says Eakins safe
The belief is the Oilers will stick with coach Dallas Eakins as he heads into the second year of his contract despite a disastrous rookie season.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/04/05/torts-may-pay-the-price-pk-in-line-for-big-deal
Did you gouge your eyes out after you read that lol? The next part says
You have to wonder if down the road legendary Edmonton great Mark Messier will land behind the Oilers bench. He was interested in the coaching job with the Rangers before they hired Alain Vigneault to replace Tortorella. Messier has since left the New York organization but you’d have to think he’d still like the chance to coach. He is working as a consultant for Edmonton.
Can't think of a more likely scenario than another one of the boys on the bus can just walk into that spot if it opens up.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Did you gouge your eyes out after you read that lol? The next part says Can't think of a more likely scenario than another one of the boys on the bus can just walk into that spot if it opens up.

I think the Eakins criticism is a bit unfair.

MacT only had one summer to try and build from the crum of Tambo

and Krueger, with a lot of luck, got the team to where he did. Meaning that roster's BEST potential was 12th or so in the West.

Give Eakins some depth at F and on D, and another year, and then it's fair to judge.

Our last 3-4 games have been good actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad