Rumor: Rumors & Proposal Thread: Return of the Two-Headed Thread Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
LOL what?

He's the Jets 2nd best d-man and playing really well. Are you just slagging on him because he hasn't turned into Doughty, Pietrangelo, or Karlsson?

It's not like he's Luke Schenn..

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the Jets move one of Bogosian, Enstrom, or Buf--Trouba making any one of them expendable; however, I believe that Maurice plans on keeping Buf at forward next year. But that news didn't sit well with Buf, who in his exit interview seemed pretty annoyed by it, saying that he always prefers D. So, while the Jets may think they've solved their log-jam at D (if there is a log-jam), they may have a new problem with a disgruntled Buf who wants to play D.

Maybe the Oilers make a move for Buf . . .

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
The guy who mentioned Washington is bang on.

Will be interesting to see what happens especially if McPhee is fired. They traded a late 1st for Brouwer at the draft a couple of years ago. Tom Wilson is slowly coming along, Laich is constantly injured, and I really don't see Penner signing there. So are they really going to trade their only reliable power forward?

Speaking of Penner....I wonder how many options he's going to have this summer and if its time for MacT to swallow his pride and bring Dustin in here. Could be a perfect 3rd liner with net presence on the 2nd powerplay unit ala Ryan Smyth.

His agent, can't remember the name, was on Stauffer's show last summer and indirectly stated that he contacted a # of NHL teams that he thought Penner would be a good fit for....Stauffer campaigned the Oilers to sign him and used his great corsi numbers as reasoning.

We could do far worse than Penner....I'd rather sign him than attempt to talk Bickell into waiving here or heaven forbid make a play on Clarkson

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
LOL what?

He's the Jets 2nd best d-man and playing really well. Are you just slagging on him because he hasn't turned into Doughty, Pietrangelo, or Karlsson?

It's not like he's Luke Schenn..

Just read the thread on him on the Winnipeg board. Obviously Im not saying hes a bust, or a bad D. But he is a #3-4 D currently, and paid like a top pairing guy.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the Jets move one of Bogosian, Enstrom, or Buf--Trouba making any one of them expendable; however, I believe that Maurice plans on keeping Buf at forward next year. But that news didn't sit well with Buf, who in his exit interview seemed pretty annoyed by it, saying that he always prefers D. So, while the Jets may think they've solved their log-jam at D (if there is a log-jam), they may have a new problem with a disgruntled Buf who wants to play D.

Maybe the Oilers make a move for Buf . . .
They won't move Enstrom (only legit Left shot top 4 guy they have) and Buff played forward mostly once Maurice was hired.

Trouba is going to be an absolute stud but an Enstrom-Trouba first pairing has disaster written all over it with the likes of Colorado, Chicago, and St Louis in your division....Bogo is a solid defender...him and Enstrom...keep Trouba on the 2nd pairing and let him continue to develop.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Anything of positive value right now would be a win so I'd say yes although I'd look at other possible options at that pick as well.

I've been as big a Kyle Clifford supporter on this board as any but seeing his meathead antics in this Sharks series has me quite happy that MacT didn't pull the Gagner trigger yet.

Josh Bailey intrigues me quite a bit and yes I'd do a Gagner for Bailey deal straight up...Bailey is better defensively, faster, bigger, and has proven chemistry with our star player. It's a decent gamble on both sides as both players are the same age and former top 10 draft picks who have yet to reach their potential.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
They won't move Enstrom (only legit Left shot top 4 guy they have) and Buff played forward mostly once Maurice was hired.

Trouba is going to be an absolute stud but an Enstrom-Trouba first pairing has disaster written all over it with the likes of Colorado, Chicago, and St Louis in your division....Bogo is a solid defender...him and Enstrom...keep Trouba on the 2nd pairing and let him continue to develop.

Yes, that's true. There was at one point lots of talk about the Jets's log-jam on the blue-line and that they may eventually need to move one of their D's . It was a perfectly reasonable assumption to make. But, like you said, since Maurice joined, Buf has been playing forward, so it appears as if the log-jam issue has been resolved; however, Buf wants to play D--he said so himself--and Maurice's re-signing might rub Buf the wrong way, given that he will likely be a forward for the next 4 years under Maurice. I am completely speculating here, but maybe Buf quietly asks for a trade to a place that would guarantee him a D position . . .

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Just read the thread on him on the Winnipeg board. Obviously Im not saying hes a bust, or a bad D. But he is a #3-4 D currently, and paid like a top pairing guy.

2 issues, assuming he is in play:

1) Acquring Bogo would mean we let one of Petry or Schultz go in the same or separate trade. As much as fans hate it, Petry and Schultz are our #1 and #2 RHD moving forward.

2) The Flyers will beat any offer we can make. They have the C depth to offer Schenn straight up for Bogosian....coincidentally, the Jets biggest need aside from goaltending is C depth to help Scheifele and Little.....we have nothing to match that.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Yes, that's true. There was at one point lots of talk about the Jets's log-jam on the blue-line and that they may eventually need to move one of their D's . It was a perfectly reasonable assumption to make. But, like you said, since Maurice joined, Buf has been playing forward, so it appears as if the log-jam issue has been resolved; however, Buf wants to play D--he said so himself--and Maurice's re-signing might rub Buf the wrong way, given that he will likely be a forward for the next 4 years under Maurice. I am completely speculating here, but maybe Buf quietly asks for a trade to a place that would guarantee him a D position . . .

Buff is fat and lazy. He has to work too hard to play forward whereas he can coast on defense mostly, make bad pinches, and easily log 28 minutes a night without breaking a sweat.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Mike Green has a modified NTC, and his duties IIRC were replaced towards the end of the season. I wonder if he'd come here.

He's got a year remaining on his deal, but he'd a RHD who can move the puck and isn't lost in the defensive zone (a la Wideman). Blocks a ton of shots, played ES and PP on the caps this season.

With how dire our transition + offense from the backend is, he'd be a good addition imo.

Pair him with a Marc Methot type D-man (if it's true that he's on the outs with Ottawa), and we might have a pretty decent D.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Buff is fat and lazy. He has to work too hard to play forward whereas he can coast on defense mostly, make bad pinches, and easily log 28 minutes a night without breaking a sweat.

I'm surprised you feel that way, seeing as you have just been advocating on behalf of Penner . . .

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Mike Green has a modified NTC, and his duties IIRC were replaced towards the end of the season. I wonder if he'd come here.

He's got a year remaining on his deal, but he'd a RHD who can move the puck and isn't lost in the defensive zone (a la Wideman). Blocks a ton of shots, played ES and PP on the caps this season.

With how dire our transition + offense from the backend is, he'd be a good addition imo.

Pair him with a Marc Methot type D-man (if it's true that he's on the outs with Ottawa), and we might have a pretty decent D.

Although I prefer a LHD, Green isn't a terrible option....although that would mean pushing Schultz to the 3rd pairing which really won't help in his development.

I'm guessing the Capitals want to get younger and retool....Marincin would have to be heading back with another piece.

Under your scenario:

Methot-Green
Klefbom-Petry
Ference-Schultz

Call me crazy but I'd rather invest money and an asset like Marincin in a trade for a 2nd line forward.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
2 issues, assuming he is in play:

1) Acquring Bogo would mean we let one of Petry or Schultz go in the same or separate trade. As much as fans hate it, Petry and Schultz are our #1 and #2 RHD moving forward.

2) The Flyers will beat any offer we can make. They have the C depth to offer Schenn straight up for Bogosian....coincidentally, the Jets biggest need aside from goaltending is C depth to help Scheifele and Little.....we have nothing to match that.

Can PHI afford him tho?

Also I don't see a problem with a D corpse of

Nurse-Bogo
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Petry

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
We're talking about the Bogosian that scored 11 points in 55 GP, right?

26 points in his last 88 GP, Corsi consistently under his team's average (although to be fair, he plays somewhat tougher minutes)

I don't think he's that awesome.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I think this team is better off since the start of the rebuild. Penner and Hemsky were our top forwards back then and really they aren't players that can't lead a team offensively they are good secondary guys to compliment a high end forward. This team isn't that far off really, yes we might have defencemen issues and depth issues but 1 problem can be fixed with a good off-season. Also you have to consider the fact that guys like Eberle,Yakupov,Gagner had down years this year. We need two top nine forwards(wingers) and two top four defencemen and we might be a playoff team.As much as we need our defencemen fixd we need to address the forward depth.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle-Perron accounted for 1.24 Goals per game. They also missed 15 combined games this year. so lets say it would be 1.30 goals per game this season. we scored 1.10 goals from the other 14 players we had in the line-up. which is brutal in my books look at a team like th2 ducks who were the highest scoring team in the league. They had 1.42 Goals per game from their top four goal scorers. They had 1.74 goals from the rest of the line-up. They scored 143 goals compared to our 90 goals. Plus we have no hemsky and Smyth who scored 20 together.

Gordon need better wingers that can scorer hendricks is an offensive black hole, yes he has decent hands, physical and great defensively. He can't score, i could under stand him centering the 4th line or smt, he shouldn't a 3rd liner in the league. plain and simple.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Pouliot(15goals)-Gordon(10 Goals)-Stempinak(13 goals)
Glass(5g)-Hendricks(6G)-Acrobello(10 goals)
Gadzic(2g)

Lander,Pitlick could be used as call-ups
63 goals from our bottom six.

3 LW Benoit Pouliot, He is a 6 3 lw, he isn;t a penner in the terms of being soft as he hit 143 times last season. He will bring size and skill to our bottom six. He also has had good corsi stats, he isn't a great defensive forward and won't be used on the PK, thats why we have Gordon and Hendricks though.

3RW Look for a more defensive winger with some speed and is a veteran. Lee Stempinak has played 600+Games, good skater and he is defensive aware. He score 12 goals this season and would be a great add to the third line. He could play some PK mins. Also had 100+ hits.

4LW Tanner Glass, big physical forward that got 90 PIMS and 200+ hits. we would make our bottom six very hard to play against. Plus he can be used on the secondary unit on the PK.

4RW Mark Acrobello- He is on a one way contract for a reason. He will be on this team, He is a offensive skilled forward with some edge. He will hit and is defensively sound. he will give this line offensively ability and energy to it. He will also give us someone to move up the line-up in case someone goes down.

Draft Bennett and send him down.

Now the defence problem is going to be very tricky to solve, since we need to add offence ability + defensive ability+Physicality.

Right now our line-up looks like:

Marincin-Petry
Ference-J.schultz
Nurse/Klefbom-Larsen/Fedun

Personally would like to have Larsen has our #7, bigger/tougher dman has our #8 (Fraser?), Klefbom and Fedun as a call-up and Nurse down in the OHL.

Niskanen would be a GREAT signing for us, he is a great puck mover and gives us someone that we can used to help Schultz PPQB. Chances are high that he comes to FA considering that Pittsburgh has maybe the best D spects and will run out the use for him soon.

Wille Mitchell would be a nice veteran player to sign, decent skater, good puck mover and is pretty good defensively.

Marincin-Niskanen
Mitchell-J.schultz
Ference-Petry
Larsen-Fraser

Probably not a play-off team but we would be in the race. finding a top pairing dman is hard to do and we should just try to develop one, also these are just even strength [pairings and our top four is probably: Marincin,Niskanen,J.schultz and Petry.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Although I prefer a LHD, Green isn't a terrible option....although that would mean pushing Schultz to the 3rd pairing which really won't help in his development.

I'm guessing the Capitals want to get younger and retool....Marincin would have to be heading back with another piece.

Under your scenario:

Methot-Green
Klefbom-Petry
Ference-Schultz

Call me crazy but I'd rather invest money and an asset like Marincin in a trade for a 2nd line forward.

I was thinking Klefbom, but Marincin works too. I actually think Green could mentor Schultz, they have similar tools.

For me that D could get us into the playoffs. I'm fairly confident that Methot-Green could take the harder match ups, and Marincin/Klefbom-Petry would serve as a good 2nd pairing. With hopefully the continued development of Schultz, our 3rd pairing should be solid.

The 2nd line C will be a tough fix. Barring a trade for M. Richards, signing a FA like Grabovski, we might have to take a 'partial' fix like say (people won't like this) Umberger of the BJs who can play C and would come cheap.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
^ I like the idea you have hallhopkinseberle about bumping Gazdic to 13th forward, but unfortunately you picked Tanner Glass for that roll, who was one of the few players to get more destroyed than Gazdic relative to the rest of his team.

Don't want Glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad