Rumor: Rumors and Trade Proposals Thread | Pissing Their Primes Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’m sorry, Chychrun and Nurse are nothing alike. Nurse is one of the worst defenders in league for defending the rush, Chychrun excels at it. Chychrun is also significantly better at in-zone defense. Like they really aren’t close at all. Chychrun comes here and he is our best defender by a large margin. He is the right age and is an excellent 2 way defender. He is the guy you want.

Ekholm makes 6.75M for 4 more years and is 32. He is already in decline. That’s not the guy Oilers need or should go after. Gavrikov is also a decent target- but he isn’t close to the player Chychrun is.
Chychrun comes here and fans will be ready to string him up within a month unless the Oilers play him almost exclusively against bottom 6 comp like AZ does.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I think the impact that Chychrun would bring is massively understated. The load it would take off of Nurse would be huge.

Yeah and it puts Kulak in that #5 spot where he settles in well. My hope would be Chychrun brings the best out of Bouchard.

Nurse - Ceci
Chychrun - Bouchard
Kulak - Barrie

I'd assume Broberg is one of the pieces used to get him.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
need a good third-line center to help the defensive pairings and create some lasting structural stability... then the team can build an identity

I could see Holland buying Toews at the deadline 50% retained and a 3rd team coming in at 25%. Holland would value the pedigree, Toews is excellent in the dot and fully capable of playing the 3C role.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Why are people saying Chychrun is redundant? Our current d-core has zero offensive ability, outside a couple guys having a decent shot (once in a blue moon). Our guys can't really pass (outside of bouch), can't skate out of danger, can't walk a blueline, can't get shots through (even on PP, Barrie hits more shinpads than sekera).

We need Chychrun and a stay at home guy, and someone like barrie needs to go, who really isn't good in any area of the ice.

You mean you don't like Nurse's breakout pass of a slapper knee high off the boards into a crowd?

Reactions: UpHere

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I could see Holland buying Toews at the deadline 50% retained and a 3rd team coming in at 25%. Holland would value the pedigree, Toews is excellent in the dot and fully capable of playing the 3C role.
I'd like to see that. Toews may have lost a step but he's a master of the game just like Keith was.

Toews knows where to be and what to do in all situations and he's a competitor with a winning pedigree.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Why is Yamamoto so horribad at finnishing? Hes 50% injueed, cant finnish, and I dont know why they keeping him in top 6?

Is there Anyone who can defend this guy here? Even Puljujärvi can rip the puck sometimes. He can check, he can sometimes defend.
Yamamoto is 4th line here.

Not if Broberg is part of the cost. He's really looking calm out there and is making simple, smart plays. His skating is looking good again, and he's been quite good defensively.
Bettee keep a promising defenseman, and trade Holloway if thats the cost. But it better be for P Kane or such.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Why is Yamamoto so horribad at finnishing? Hes 50% injueed, cant finnish, and I dont know why they keeping him in top 6?

Is there Anyone who can defend this guy here? Even Puljujärvi can rip the puck sometimes. He can check, he can sometimes defend.
Yamamoto is 4th line here.

Bettee keep a promising defenseman, and trade Holloway if thats the cost. But it better be for P Kane or such.
Well if you want to talk about this year Yamo's 5v5 GF% is 64.3% without either of McDavid or Drai, contrasted against Foegele at 37.5% and Pulju at 41.2% (Yamo's GF% with one or both of McDrai is 61.9%). Icetime with one or both of McDrai is 234.9 mins for Yamo and 224.6 mins for Pulju a pretty similar amount of opportunity (though Pulju has played more games).

Yamo has a pronounced disparity in his takeaways to giveaways (30 takeaways to only 6 giveaways).

If you are talking about finishing Yamo's career shooting percentage is 14.5% and Pulju's is 8.7%, while Pulju's A shot is better than Yamo's much like Yakupov, Pulju just is not a consistent shooter and he rarely delivers quality shots on net.

IMO the numbers this season are overly kind to Yamo, likely due to a bit of puck luck and a smallish sample size, but I have noticed a general improvement to his defensive game both 5 on 5 and on the PK. There are a number of reasons to be pessimistic with respect to Yamo, but the clear distinguishing factor here and his main edge on Pulju is he is a smarter hockey player.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Well if you want to talk about this year Yamo's 5v5 GF% is 64.3% without either of McDavid or Drai, contrasted against Foegele at 37.5% and Pulju at 41.2% (Yamo's GF% with one or both of McDrai is 61.9%). Icetime with one or both of McDrai is 234.9 mins for Yamo and 224.6 mins for Pulju a pretty similar amount of opportunity (though Pulju has played more games).

Yamo has a pronounced disparity in his takeaways to giveaways (30 takeaways to only 6 giveaways).

If you are talking about finishing Yamo's career shooting percentage is 14.5% and Pulju's is 8.7%, while Pulju's A shot is better than Yamo's much like Yakupov, Pulju just is not a consistent shooter and he rarely delivers quality shots on net.

IMO the numbers this season are overly kind to Yamo, likely due to a bit of puck luck and a smallish sample size, but I have noticed a general improvement to his defensive game both 5 on 5 and on the PK. There are a number of reasons to be pessimistic with respect to Yamo, but the clear distinguishing factor here and his main edge on Pulju is he is a smarter hockey player.
While all this is true and I like the guy ...he is small ...does get pushed off the puck and pushed around a quite a bit and gets hurt alot.
Xavier steals his job before next (24) deadline. Yamo gets traded AND we get reasonable value for him. We will miss his ability to draw penalties at just the right moment.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hopefully we can just keep stringing wins together. Defense and team are starting to play better. Should have a better idea on what the defense is in a month or so before the trade deadline. Was hard to really analyze it before because the team wasn’t playing with the appropriate effort and engagement.

I think the defense is still going to be hard to upgrade. I think we need a higher end guys rather than bottom pairing guys. Typically you don’t get those at the trade deadline.

Will be interesting to see if Holland has a trade lined up for a 3 million dollar guy with Kane coming back.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Expensive rental but realistic...maybe only Jersey could/would offer more possibly can resign him and they wouldnt hurt themselves doing it and they are only one player away. If you could get Gavrikov....(Not my ideal pick but he would definitely help)
Were one quality cycle guy away on the fourth line to help ...needs to be able to skate have a bit of vision and some hands and size and an idea of when to use it would be ncie.....
Any ideas on that?
We won't have room on 4th line for another quality player. Foegele-McLeod-Pulju is pretty much the 4th line once Yama and Kane return assuming we could fit all within cap. We would need to find a cheaper version of Foegele or Puljujarvi and there should be plenty veterans available to rent.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
When Kane comes back, I’m assuming we’re right back in the same cap challenge we had previously? If so, we need to dump one of JP, Yamms or Foegele. Can’t keep running a small roster.

They'll probably put Yama on LTIR.
Really? You have info that he’ll be out a month+?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
And as I've said before, it won't take the most inflated option on the market to alleviate that workload. You're upgrading on Brett Kulak.

You pay two or three first rounders and remove multiple healthy bodies from the current roster to make space and you're not necessarily putting an improved product on the ice. You're moving depth from one place to another.

There are teams that can ice three of those lines though. If Seattle continues to roll like they have, they're one of them. LA is another and they got better in the offseason adding Fiala, who has lit us up this season. Colorado is going to be deep again, too.

I’d say that only makes sense if you consider Foegele and Pulju to be irreplaceable depth.

Moving that much money from the 4th line/press box to a spot of significant need far outweighs losing healthy bodies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
When Kane comes back, I’m assuming we’re right back in the same cap challenge we had previously? If so, we need to dump one of JP, Yamms or Foegele. Can’t keep running a small roster.

Really? You have info that he’ll be out a month+?
No info at all but it would be smarter than waiving him , Puljujarvi or Foegele to make room.
Also it's not month+ but 10 games /24days. The ones he missed already should count.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's a fascinating situation because the forward group is in prime years and ready to rumble but the d-corp is lagging in top end ability and diversity of player types. Broberg and Bouchard are young pedigree players but likely not in a position to impact the d-corp this year (and maybe next).

Personally I don't see Holland jumping into a high risk flight risk UFA option likely Gavrikov. Even with an opportunity to talk with his agent, I suspect is the player would be advised to wait three-four months and see what the market offers with both salary and destination. Russian players in such situation generally migrate to big U.S. cities or southern sunshine. Oil can't hope for an early spring thaw and hangin' with Connor and Leon. I like the player and fit but the Oiler organizational pipeline can't afford a one and done with their premium assets.

Part of me wonders about prioritizing 1RD to help stabilize Nurse with an elite shutdown type pushing Ceci, Barrie/Bouchard down to 3RD. A move like Ekholm might give flexibility to move between LD and RD in situational play and able to play down the lineup in last year(s) of his deal though I think his game stays strong. Expensive cap hit wise though and likely possibly costs Bouchard or Broberg + 1st.

Holland is going to use the runway to the trade deadline to see what this team has with Broberg, Bouchard and maybe Desharnais. But it is a quandary and I don't think nibbling around the corners is going to cut it.

Addendum: All the talk of Ekholm's goal suppression skills we can't sleep on the player's durability but also his points per game averages the last five years, .37 (this yr); .41; .48.; 49;. 55.

Ekholm has been the smart play all along IMO. Bouchard and 1st plus JP to make the money work but still need significant salary retention from Nashville and probably a 3rd party (Chicago?) to make it work cap-wise.

Don’t see Holland giving significant assets for a one and done rental either.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
No info at all but it would be smarter than waiving him , Puljujarvi or Foegele to make room.
Also it's not month+ but 10 games /24days. The ones he missed already should count.
Regardless, he’d be needing to miss considerable time to qualifying for LTIR. I haven’t heard anything to indicate this is the case.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

But none if them is a top 6 player. Yamamoto is 3rd line-ish.
But Oilers already got kostin nuge järnmark as one of the leagues best 3rd lines.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Proposal:

To EDM: Jake McCabe @ 50% retention
To CHI: Neimelainen + Puljujarvi/Yamamoto + pick/prospect

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
But none if them is a top 6 player. Yamamoto is 3rd line-ish.
But Oilers already got kostin nuge järnmark as one of the leagues best 3rd lines.
It's more like an avg 2nd line if you consider the RWers on top 2 lines. It's pretty much Hyman-Mc-Drai and Janmark-Nuge-Kostin without Yama.

So if nothing else, crappy guys like Pulju/Yama allow this team to have one of leagues best 3rd lines as you put it

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
It's more like an avg 2nd line if you consider the RWers on top 2 lines. It's pretty much Hyman-Mc-Drai and Janmark-Nuge-Kostin without Yama.

So if nothing else, crappy guys like Pulju/Yama allow this team to have one of leagues best 3rd lines as you put it
I would do a
McLeod McDavid Hyman line
Holloway Leon Fogele line

And Yamamoto Pulj a 4th line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad