Rumor: Rumors and Trade Proposals Thread | Pissing Their Primes Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Bouchard would likely be the best singular asset Arizona could get for Chychrun. You could argue Bouchard alone is worth more than Broberg + 1st. I think you could save the first if you offer Bouchard.
I don't disagree. The idea is very similar to what Chicago traded for Seth Jones. It also kind of parallels the Kadri to Colorado deal where the Avs traded from a position of depth to get a player on a value deal with term left.

But Arizona trading away Connor Timmins for essentially nothing has me wondering what their organization is prioritizing in terms of player additions. Do they want established talent? Or do they want more bullets at the draft table?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don't disagree. The idea is very similar to what Chicago traded for Seth Jones. It also kind of parallels the Kadri to Colorado deal where the Avs traded from a position of depth to get a player on a value deal with term left.

But Arizona trading away Connor Timmins for essentially nothing has me wondering what their organization is prioritizing in terms of player additions. Do they want established talent? Or do they want more bullets at the draft table?
I think it's clearly bullets at the draft table. This is a deep, sustained rebuild by a guy who made his bones as a scout. They want a volume approach at the amateur draft to prime their system to emerge if and when the new Tempe arena is ready to open. Maintain a cheap roster available to take on bad contracts for additional premium assets.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I think if you offered Bouchard + Pulju + 2nd, that’d be too enticing to turn down, even if they are looking for firsts.

They could always flip Bouchard for high picks later too.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think if you offered Bouchard + Pulju + 2nd, that’d be too enticing to turn down, even if they are looking for firsts.

Why trade Bouchard though? Get him a solid LHD partner and his game takes a big step up. If we add Chychrun by trading Bouch we will have Nurse-Chychrun-Kulak-Broberg on the left side and Barrie-Ceci on the right. Even if you play Broberg as the RD he has shown to be a bit injury prone and along with Chychrun that leaves us susceptible to injuries on the blueline. You move Broberg over Bouchard.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Why trade Bouchard though? Get him a solid LHD partner and his game takes a big step up. If we add Chychrun by trading Bouch we will have Nurse-Chychrun-Kulak-Broberg on the left side and Barrie-Ceci on the right. Even if you play Broberg as the RD he has shown to be a bit injury prone and along with Chychrun that leaves us susceptible to injuries on the blueline. You move Broberg over Bouchard.
You save Bouchard for the veteran 1RD they need - hello Parayko. ;)

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I believe Chychrun can play RD.

I’d also move the first for Gavrikov.

Nurse - Ceci
Gavrikov - Chychrun
Kulak - Barrie

This gives you 3 decent pairings that you can distribute ice time evenly between.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Broberg + 2023 1st + Foegele + Puljujarvi for Chychrun + Bjugstad

2024 2nd for Kuzmenko

Kane - McDavid - Kuzmenko
RNH - Draisaitl - Hyman
Janmark - Bjugstad - Kostin
Holloway - McLeod - Yamamoto

Nurse - Ceci
Chychrun - Bouchard
Kulak - Barrie

Skinner
Campbell

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Does Hamonic have anything left in the tank? I haven’t watched many Sens games this year. Austin Watson is also a pending UFA and would be a perfect fit in the Oilers bottom 6.

Hamonic @ 50% and Watson for Puljujarvi would be equal money going in/out. Maybe the Sens would want a draft pick or prospect on top. Then deal Barrie+ for a LHD.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Exactly don’t trade Bouch get him a shutdown partner and watch him flourish

saucesaitl

say cheese
May 5, 2018
Broberg + 2023 1st + Foegele + Puljujarvi for Chychrun + Bjugstad

2024 2nd for Kuzmenko

Kane - McDavid - Kuzmenko
RNH - Draisaitl - Hyman
Janmark - Bjugstad - Kostin
Holloway - McLeod - Yamamoto

Nurse - Ceci
Chychrun - Bouchard
Kulak - Barrie

Skinner
Campbell
Do you think he could be had for that? He's doing pretty well rn.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Because it's going to be either him or Barrie on the bottom pairing. And at least one of those players is going to be playing minutes outside of their comfort zones. You won't be maximizing the value of the assets you have.

Trading Bouchard there is getting the full value of him still on his ELC. There's still uncertainty with the player. Move forward with him and Barrie on $4m+ hits and you're resigning yourself to getting poor value in the instance one has to be moved.

Broberg is not only an unestablished pro. He doesn't bring much to the table in terms of trade value. For Edmonton there's still the potential that he develops into a contributor in the near future. But there's also the opportunity for him to improve his stock as a future trade piece. He's going to be cheap for a while.

I understand the preference to have your cake and eat it, too. But it's a very cost restrictive use of cap and it's a much higher volume of futures that would have to move if Broberg is the main asset being offered.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I'd do that trade. But I'm not sure that a team like LA couldn't top it. They have a lot of enticing prospects and they could easily offer a guy like Sean Walker or Sean Durzi to offset some of the cap.

There's just too much hype around the player. Short sample of high end play getting gravy offensive assignments. Some team is about to get stung.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Because it's going to be either him or Barrie on the bottom pairing. And at least one of those players is going to be playing minutes outside of their comfort zones. You won't be maximizing the value of the assets you have.

Trading Bouchard there is getting the full value of him still on his ELC. There's still uncertainty with the player. Move forward with him and Barrie on $4m+ hits and you're resigning yourself to getting poor value in the instance one has to be moved.

Broberg is not only an unestablished pro. He doesn't bring much to the table in terms of trade value. For Edmonton there's still the potential that he develops into a contributor in the near future. But there's also the opportunity for him to improve his stock as a future trade piece. He's going to be cheap for a while.

I understand the preference to have your cake and eat it, too. But it's a very cost restrictive use of cap and it's a much higher volume of futures that would have to move if Broberg is the main asset being offered.
Last season Bouchard outplayed Barrie. This season he's not. We have Barrie for 1 more year after this one and then he can walk. If we trade Bouch and Barrie walks we are screwed. Or if Barrie plays well next season and we decide to throw him a hefty long term deal we are again screwed. Bouchard has been upping his physical play and in time he will get better defensively. Look at how long it took Barrie to be somewhat respectable defensively and that is without Bouchard's size and strength. Barrie probably has 2-3 good seasons left and then he'll be the 2nd coming of Shattenkirk. While I want to win in the McDrai window, there are certain players that you just don't trade because they can be key players for us even if they walk. Bouchard is one of those players.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Chychrun hasn't played a full nhl.season ever. Dude is hurt every year. I wouldn't trade Bouchard for him straight up.
If Bouchard or Barrie gets traded it has to be for a right shot dman or we are playing the Chris Russel game by playing someone (left) not well on the right side.
Bouchard ain’t half the player Chychrun is.
So what’s more valuable. 82 games of a 4/10 player or 50 games of an 8/10 player. Our left d is a shit “top pairing d” and then various 6/7 d. Our right side is 3 guys who can play on a second pairing.

That said I wouldn’t make that trade cause we need to improve our left and not downgrade our right side.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bouchard ain’t half the player Chychrun is.
So what’s more valuable. 82 games of a 4/10 player or 50 games of an 8/10 player. Our left d is a shit “top pairing d” and then various 6/7 d. Our right side is 3 guys who can play on a second pairing.

That said I wouldn’t make that trade cause we need to improve our left and not downgrade our right side.
Yet. He could be within the next season or two at least offensively.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yet. He could be within the next season or two at least offensively.
Possibly. Defensively? Never. Offensively for sure a possibility. And no level has Bouchard been good defensively and that hasn’t really changed since his draft year. The hope with him is that he might figure out that defence but really I see him as a better shooting less intelligent Barrie. One guy is small and isn’t physical, the other guy is big and isn’t physical.

Chychrun is at least solid defensively and has always sneakily been.

Reactions: Nowotny

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Possibly. Defensively? Never. Offensively for sure a possibility. And no level has Bouchard been good defensively and that hasn’t really changed since his draft year. The hope with him is that he might figure out that defence but really I see him as a better shooting less intelligent Barrie. One guy is small and isn’t physical, the other guy is big and isn’t physical.

Chychrun is at least solid defensively and has always sneakily been.
I call BS on this. He has possibly been our most physical defender lately.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You don't trade Bouchard for Chychrun.
You move Broberg instead.
As others have said, the org feels that Broberg has looked a lot better than he's shown in the NHL, including against NHL comp in practices. So, the idea is that his value to us is much higher than what other teams would value him as. So, I don't think we should trade him.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I call BS on this. He has possibly been our most physical defender lately.
That’s really not saying much. He lays some hits here and there but isn’t all that physical.

Our defence as a whole is quite weak and unphysical by design. Even Nurse barely hits.

As others have said, the org feels that Broberg has looked a lot better than he's shown in the NHL, including against NHL comp in practices. So, the idea is that his value to us is much higher than what other teams would value him as. So, I don't think we should trade him.
Which is so crazy. Broberg is a kid who always “looks better in practice” than he ever does in games. It’s Holland not wanting to admit he made the wrong choice

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Which is so crazy. Broberg is a kid who always “looks better in practice” than he ever does in games. It’s Holland not wanting to admit he made the wrong choice
If Holland felt he made a bad pick on Broberg and wanted to wiggle out of responsibility, the easiest way to do that would be to include him as a piece in a bigger trade for an established D. The value of Broberg would be hard to pin down in that case.

The org likely feels like Broberg is the D that will make us look bad if we trade him

And I get it. This is torture because Bouchard could easily be that D too, and his likelihood is perhaps higher as he is actually NHL tested.

We expect our management to make the right move because they have the experience and they have info we don't have. However I don't think any team gets true certainty. It's always a dice roll and management doesn't get credit for good gambles that go the wrong way.

I totally understand Holland's impulse to keep our best young players and picks. It should be the default answer. So they just got to scout teams and find the right guy. But it should take time. The more time the better really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad