Rumor: Rumors and Trade Proposals | Are the playoffs done yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I guy I keep coming back to who will be a UFA is Belesky. He could be a guy you get for not too much or too long, and, despite what happened this year in Anaheim, could be on the upswing into his prime.

The right guy to be depth at the right time, coming from a good organization.

I'm big on Belesky as well. I have some fears that his solid playoff has turned a potential under the radar value UFA to a bigger money guy a la Bickell, but he's cooled off a bit so he might not cost too much.

I like him because he has proven that he can play in all situations and on all 4 lines. I love players that are versatile.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
well he was on 45pt pace his rookie season (shortened season) . Add in maturity + strength + easier head to head opponents + Eastern conference and it is close.

And he's been regressing ever since, it's also worth noting that it was a small sample size. The problem with Schultz is were going to have to pay him 4M+ to sign him. I just don't know if he's worth that.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
And he's been regressing ever since, it's also worth noting that it was a small sample size. The problem with Schultz is were going to have to pay him 4M+ to sign him. I just don't know if he's worth that.

I'd be in favour of moving Shultz, but at a $4m hit I doubt that he would bring back anything of reasonable value. It probably makes the most sense to try and get him going and either keep him or move him for something valuable if his game catches up to his salary figure.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I'd be in favour of moving Shultz, but at a $4m hit I doubt that he would bring back anything of reasonable value. It probably makes the most sense to try and get him going and either keep him or move him for something valuable if his game catches up to his salary figure.

If we could sign Green, I'd move Schultz for a guy like Polak+pick or L.Schenn+pick. IMO he should be done in Edmonton. We don't have anymore time for this experiment.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If we could sign Green, I'd move Schultz for a guy like Polak+pick or L.Schenn+pick. IMO he should be done in Edmonton. We don't have anymore time for this experiment.

I agree on this point. If we got Green there would be no room on the roster that plays the same type of game but at a much lower level.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
What? Who on our team was top 20 in scoring for dmen? Heck we didn't even have anyone in the top 40. Schultz barely hit 50 with his 31 points. We have no big point shot like Mike Green brings and no one who can move the puck like Green. Green IMO is one of the biggest needs on the team. Sign him and trade Schultz or get him to take a pay cut.

I was referring to the fact that we have one RD who is an offensive defenseman who is a nightmare defensively, and one who is good defensively but has no offense to speak of.

I would very happily move Schultz and replace him with Green. He's better at what he does well and not as bad as what he doesn't, so he's an upgrade all around. But if we're committed to keeping Schultz and using him in the "Mike Green" role on the team, then Mike Green would have to play a role he isn't ideally suited for, and far from the one he occupied in WSH this year that allowed him to finish in the top 20 scoring for defensemen. Conversely, if you add Green, play him against soft opposition and give him 60%+ offensive zone starts with Schultz on the team, then Schultz will have to play tougher minutes with a heavier dose of defensive zone work. That's not good either.

But just as I said with Michalek, we're in no position to turn anybody who's any good away, I just don't think the fit isn't as good as it would be with a player who can handle a tougher role and is better in his own end.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I would rather have Hunt in the lineup then Schultz. At least with Hunt you know he's a weak 3rd paiting defenceman with a great slap shot. Schultz is just a weak third paiting defenceman with zero intensity to his game.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013

Yupp, this is 100% the problem.

The guy got handed easy minutes with loads of gravy powerplay time with the wonderkids. You could say he's good on the power-play, but he has no shot and how much of his points are from just playing with Hall/RNH/Eberle?

He only got 31 points leading the time in ice time (even strength + powerplay) and with 60% offensive zone starts with the teams best player and against the others teams worst lines/pairings. His offensive skills are looking like they're kinda overrated, and I know he's a great skater and he looks like he has all the potential to be that offensive guy, but paying 4M for a guy that should be on your bottom pairing isn't something I would want to do.

Plus, how much more success would the team have if there is someone to actually do something with those primo minutes he had the last couple seasons?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I would rather have Hunt in the lineup then Schultz. At least with Hunt you know he's a weak 3rd paiting defenceman with a great slap shot. Schultz is just a weak third paiting defenceman with zero intensity to his game.

Just going to leave this here.

867969041.0.gif

I get that people aren't in love with Schultz, but Hunt is 10,000% not the answer.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
His [Schultz] value is minimal if not negative right now. A poor season and a very high qualifying offer will scare most GMs away for his RFA rights. Having said that, a strong offseason and good coaching can make him a more valuable Dman than Petry within a year.

Please explain how a player who's an RFA who will make less than 3.6m (QO) or 3.1m (team arbitration) who has no term, has size, is 24, can skate and handle the puck, has put up 91 points in 203 NHL games and 48 points in 34 AHL games suddenly has negative value. Please, explain this. I'll wait.

You want negative value... go look at guys like Scuderi or Hemsky who have meh contracts and haven't fared well over the last year or so. Or Clarkson (despite being traded) or Richards. Those are contracts where the player isn't coming anywhere close to living up to them, and where the player has negative value in regards to his contract. Even Scuderi and Hemsky could probably be traded. Schultz isn't anywhere close to "negative value".

I honestly think people forget what that term actually means. Schultz = negative value. :shakehead LOL.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Pretty sure he thinks he can. He is just stuck behind Niskanen and Carlson in WSH and therefore will test free agency.

Well if he thinks he can then he can sign a cheaper one year deal and prove it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What team is going to take on Schultz making 3.75M\yr after that season? Far too many other options out there. His value is on par with Jake Gardiner if not lower. You wont get much value for him

There is a massive massive difference between "won't get much value for him" and "he has negative value". One means he'll be cheap to acquire (think Bickell). The other means you'll have to pay someone to take him because his contract is so bad relative to what he can do on the ice (think Clarkson/Richards).

McDeathbyCheerios*

Just going to leave this here.

867969041.0.gif

I get that people aren't in love with Schultz, but Hunt is 10,000% not the answer.
He made a rookie mistake as a rookie. He is good enough in the AHL to be a third pairing guy here if he is with a decent partner, aka not Schultz.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Schultz might have 0 intensity, but he's still a #5 dman. Hunt isn't even a #7. He's the offensive version of Plante. An AHL all-star, but useless in the NHL.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
With average defending that shot never get's off.

Meh, hockey is a game where you score because of the opponent's mistakes.

Good teams find ways to have the right teammates step up at the right time to cover for each other's mistakes, or to minimize the frequency of those mistakes.

The issue with the Oilers is that they don't have either.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Tikhonov is returning to north america, his rights to Arizona shouldn't cost much on draft day, he would be a great depth player. Decent two-way forward.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Tikhonov is returning to north america, his rights to Arizona shouldn't cost much on draft day, he would be a great depth player. Decent two-way forward.

Eh....

I kind of want a veteran with a bit more offense, if we're even going to bother bringing in another RW.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Arizona loses his rights come July 1st, and he'll be a UFA.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Eh....

I kind of want a veteran with a bit more offense, if we're even going to bother bringing in another RW.

Tikhonov does provide offense which Edmonton shouldn't have to rely on coming from the third or fourth line. Mainly he is a great two-way forward who is hard to play against which is a necessitty in Edmonton today. Definitely a vet to pro hockey.

If Yak or Eberle get injured then Tikhonov can fill in.

Arizona loses his rights come July 1st, and he'll be a UFA.

That is why I mentioned draft day, he would be easier to acquire. Then they negotiate.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Tikhonov does provide offense which Edmonton shouldn't have to rely on coming from the third or fourth line. Mainly he is a great two-way forward who is hard to play against which is a necessitty in Edmonton today.

Given his production in lesser pro leagues, at 27 years of age, I can't see him being a consistent top-nine guy in terms of offensive production. Maybe I'm wrong.

There are probably 10 wingers in free agency I like better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad