Rumor: Rumors and Proposals: With gravitational waves detected, can the Oilers find some D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
OEL is Arizona's defense. Maloney's job is to win. Historically that has been what has put people in seats in Phoenix. Without OEL the Yote's have virtually no chance to compete.

Not only is OEL by far their best defensive defenseman but he is also the teams leading scorer and by a lot. The closest forward is Boedeker and most believe he is gone this year. Only 38 year old Shane Doan has more goals than OEL.

The situation with Arizona is very fluid. Their best move long term may well be to move the franchise because the team is in danger of losing the $15M per year subsidy they get to run the arena. Without that it is simply not viable to stay in Glendale. So while Matthews being a home town boy may seem like a great story that aspect of the deal is lost if the team ends up in Seattle or Quebec.

Well there is also the fact that they have OEL for 3 years and would have Matthews for 7+. Even if the Yotes move, that could be a deal that a GM would like. If they move it will VERY likely be to another American market and that team can still advertise their American superstar C.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Well there is also the fact that they have OEL for 3 years and would have Matthews for 7+. Even if the Yotes move, that could be a deal that a GM would like. If they move it will VERY likely be to another American market and that team can still advertise their American superstar C.

I got a feeling if Arizona moves, it'd be to Las Vegas. It's not too far from where they are now and they are trying to make a statement to have an NHL team. That or an expansion there.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Dreger had an interesting segment on 1260 this morning where he talked about there being a market for hockey trades at the deadline instead of just the rentals for picks market. I hope he's right about that and not just trying to build up the tsn deadline show, because I've always hated the general consensus around here that Chia has to wait till the summer to make the big move. You never know what other big names might become available by then, which could leave us without a dance partner once again.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The problem is that it will take at least 3-4 years to repair the defense if they are very lucky. So in the extra years what value to you get. Matthews alone is not going to turn the Yotes into a contender. He is a very good player but is at this point at best on the level of Eichel. Oiler fans should know as well as anyone what success you can have with a defense that has Michael Stone as the clear #1. And the Yotes have no one in their system like Klefbom or Nurse to hope for as the saviour. Their forward core would be

Matthews, Domi, Strome, Dvorak, Rieder and Duclair

Compare that the Oilers current group of

McDavid, Hall, Draisait, Nuge and Eberle.

Without any support on the backend why would you expect that team to be any better than the current Oilers any time in the next three to four years. Even if they picked up a guy like Cychrun this year he is proably 4 years away from being anything close to a true first pairing defender.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dreger had an interesting segment on 1260 this morning where he talked about there being a market for hockey trades at the deadline instead of just the rentals for picks market. I hope he's right about that and not just trying to build up the tsn deadline show, because I've always hated the general consensus around here that Chia has to wait till the summer to make the big move. You never know what other big names might become available by then, which could leave us without a dance partner once again.

TSN has talked about it for awhile. They don't expect any 1sts to be moved. 2nds which are normally moved are becoming 3rds this year. Teams are also looking at the cap going down and trying to get more ELC or cheap deals onto the roster.

Whether or not it all plays out that way I don't know, but we've seen costs of UFA's at trade and at free agency drop over the past little bit. Cap going down is just another wild card teams will be forced to deal with.

Someone also was saying that they expect the Oilers to look at hockey moves now. Not sure if we see a blockbuster, but more getting some pieces that PC wants now so that the team can gel. Our training camps have been a waste the past 5 years. Always new coaches and new players trying to figure out new systems and chemistry. The less additions we add after the season the better for this club.

North

Jun 25, 2009
For those people willing to trade Hall, why? Left wing depth in the team is incredibly shallow.

Also, you don't create a hole to fill a hole.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The problem is that it will take at least 3-4 years to repair the defense if they are very lucky. So in the extra years what value to you get. Matthews alone is not going to turn the Yotes into a contender. He is a very good player but is at this point at best on the level of Eichel. Oiler fans should know as well as anyone what success you can have with a defense that has Michael Stone as the clear #1. And the Yotes have no one in their system like Klefbom or Nurse to hope for as the saviour. Their forward core would be

Matthews, Domi, Strome, Dvorak, Rieder and Duclair

Compare that the Oilers current group of

McDavid, Hall, Draisait, Nuge and Eberle.

Without any support on the backend why would you expect that team to be any better than the current Oilers any time in the next three to four years. Even if they picked up a guy like Cychrun this year he is proably 4 years away from being anything close to a true first pairing defender.

Their defense without OEL isn't much different than ours. Stone and Murphy are good dmen. If they trade OEL, and were able to bring Yandle back, that defense is fine

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
For those people willing to trade Hall, why? Left wing depth in the team is incredibly shallow.

Because they hope magic beans 2016 edition will fill that spot:laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I much rather have a hole at LW than Defense. With that being said I highly doubt we move Hall. The guy we'd need in return just doesn't seem like a guy that teams would be willing to give up.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Every year TDL is hyped to no end, then theres nothing

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Every year TDL is hyped to no end, then theres nothing

Actually wasn't there a decent bit of activity last year, except all the good stuff happened in the weeks leading up to the TDL, and when deadline day hit it was just crickets and tumbleweeds?

Or am I remembering wrong? Completely possible that I am. :laugh:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What Dreger is speculating doesn't make sense. A playoff contender isn't going to move a Travis Hamonic or a Kevin Shattenkirk if it makes them worse in the short-term. Sure, teams are worried about the possibility of the cap dropping, but that gets remedied in the summer like it has every single year prior.

Even guys like Yandle and Eriksson are likely off the market. These guys probably walk as UFAs, but they are 'free rentals' for the teams they're currently a part of. Why would they waste assets if they don't have to?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Their defense without OEL isn't much different than ours. Stone and Murphy are good dmen. If they trade OEL, and were able to bring Yandle back, that defense is fine

Stone has 260 NHL games at 25 years of age. He has played half of this year with OEL a good part of the other half with Nick Grossman. Take a look at the statistical difference between those two scenarios. And he is their clear #2 after OEL.

Murphy played the other half of the year with OEL and then with Grossman. Same thing...huge statistical difference between the two.

Would you trade Nurse and Kelfbom for Murphy and Stone?? And who is there Sekera with OEL gone.

OEL is far and away the best defenseman on the Yotes. It's not even close. Would you trade Nurse and Kelfbom for Murphy and Stone?? And who is there Sekera with OEL gone. It's easy to say that they can just sign Yandle but they traded him already because they did not think he was worth what he was looking for salary wise.

If the Oilers were lucky enough to get Matthews the team I would be looking at is St. Louis. They have an excess of defensemen who are at the right age for the Oilers and they also could use a cost controlled top end center as much as any team in the league. Your chances of getting Pietrangelo out of St. Louis for Matthews would be better than you chances of getting OEL.

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Instead of drafting Matthews the coyotes are better off just relocating the team before doan retires.

Gotta do that before he dirts his way into politics somehow.

Voter; yes but who are you
Doan; I was the captain of the pheonix coyotes. I fought against the relocation of the franchise and was determined to retire my hockey career here in Arizona.
Voter; you mean the Las Vegas coyotes?
Doan; ....yes.

McDeathbyCheerios*

What Dreger is speculating doesn't make sense. A playoff contender isn't going to move a Travis Hamonic or a Kevin Shattenkirk if it makes them worse in the short-term. Sure, teams are worried about the possibility of the cap dropping, but that gets remedied in the summer like it has every single year prior.

Even guys like Yandle and Eriksson are likely off the market. These guys probably walk as UFAs, but they are 'free rentals' for the teams they're currently a part of. Why would they waste assets if they don't have to?
That's why they are talking hockey trades. If Pietro is going to come back soon they might look at moving Shattenkirk for a center. Move from a place of strength to a weakness.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Scuderi on waivers.

Was watching Daley yesterday. Really wish we would've went after him. Really moves the puck well and was all over.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I think we will see more UFA's stay on their team i.e Stamkos and then teams trading their negotiating rights for bigger pieces.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think we will see more UFA's stay on their team i.e Stamkos and then teams trading their negotiating rights for bigger pieces.
I doubt it. Unless we are talking about a 4th or something i just don't see it happening. Big name ufas go to ufas to see what teams really want them.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Let me say this, if Schultz and Purcell get traded for a player who has 2 years left and they aren't much better than they are, I'd rather keep them both and just let them walk. I'd rather we fill our needs in the summer in UFA than trades. Korpikoski seemed like a good trade for the Oilers before UFA last year, especially when you look at comparable players like him signing for more. But now he isn't that much of an improvement. More like a lateral or worse than what we had before. I just hope Chiarelli doesn't trade our 1st Round 2016 until after the Lottery. Gotta see where we are then. 2017 however, I'd be ok with moving.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Let me say this, if Schultz and Purcell get traded for a player who has 2 years left and they aren't much better than they are, I'd rather keep them both and just let them walk. I'd rather we fill our needs in the summer in UFA than trades. Korpikoski seemed like a good trade for the Oilers before UFA last year, especially when you look at comparable players like him signing for more. But now he isn't that much of an improvement. More like a lateral or worse than what we had before. I just hope Chiarelli doesn't trade our 1st Round 2016 until after the Lottery. Gotta see where we are then. 2017 however, I'd be ok with moving.

I'd bet that those 2 will be traded for mostly picks. It's a good opportunity to drop a couple of the 49 contracts the team has by getting rid of players that won't be part of the future here at all.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

How has Hall been with McDavid in the lineup? He was lights out when McDavid was out but has been pretty average with him on the team.

If the 2 cant coexist then I am up for trading him away especially if it shores up our D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad