Rumor: Rumors and Proposals | Why You Heff to Sign Vatanen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Honestly at this stage I think Chiarelli might still be terrified of an offersheet option.

It could be Kessel-esque , lose the top pick in every round next year and a high one the year after..

#possibleoutcome

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Chiarelli snuck in a signing while no one noticed.

Good for Oesterle. Think he can be a solid 3rd pair guy this year or simply can provide depth.

Proves he isn't doing nothing. The guy earned a good long look. I think it is pretty accepted to have him in the press box over Nurse or Reinhart.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Well gee maybe if we bring in a center that doesn't get hurt....

How do you control injuries? :shakehead

Good teams don't trade away valuable assets without getting value in return. A guy who is a UFA at the end of the season is not value maximized.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Honestly at this stage I think Chiarelli might still be terrified of an offersheet option.

It could be Kessel-esque , lose the top pick in every round next year and a high one the year after..

#possibleoutcome

Toronto should have just been entering a rebuild. The roster was putrid and they were a bottom feeder even WITH Kessel. That was just Burkes inability to evaluate a roster. If you land Lindholm as a RFA, you land a legit top pairing D with #1 upside. If you get him + healthy Klefbom + Davidson and also top 4 RD, what if you the picks are 10th in 2017 and 16th in 2018?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How do you control injuries? :shakehead

Good teams don't trade away valuable assets without getting value in return. A guy who is a UFA at the end of the season is not value maximized.

So who's saying its a straight deal? Hanging onto RNH with something better in the wings is so Oilers like the whole Bishop non-deal.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You still have a year to sign him.

And there's the very probable outcome that an American from the East plays out the season and then signs in the East on an American team.

There would be zero benefit and incentive for him to sign before becoming a UFA.

North

Jun 25, 2009
So who's saying its a straight deal? Hanging onto RNH with something better in the wings is so Oilers like the whole Bishop non-deal.

Wasn't that when Tambo was in charge?

You don't make a crappy move just to make a move.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And there's the very probable outcome that an American from the East plays out the season and then signs in the East on an American team.

There would be zero benefit and incentive for him to sign before becoming a UFA.
Then we lost RNH. Oh well. RNH hasn't exactly shown us he's a special player.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Unless you get a good deal for Shattenkirk. What did the Stars pay for Russell again?

Why do people consider RNH so valuable? We already have two centers better than him.

He's valuable because GMs think he's valuable, as noted when a few said they would have taken RNH over Johansson when Jones was traded out of Nashville.

Shattinkirk is significantly better player and I would much rather see him on the ice for Edmonton than RNH, but contracts matter. The Oilers can't afford to potentially throw away a highly regarded center locked up to a long term contract at his peak trade value for an impending UFA.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

We didn't get Bishop because MacT wouldn't add a 2nd round pick to Jones. Neither one of those chips hold anywhere near the value of RNH.

nullmeatbag

Jun 16, 2009
Sounds like Kulikov might shake out of Florida as Campbell is expected to re-sign, as per their beat writer.

I like the idea of Sekera-Kulikov as a second pairing.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He's valuable because GMs think he's valuable, as noted when a few said they would have taken RNH over Johansson when Jones was traded out of Nashville.

Shattinkirk is significantly better player and I would much rather see him on the ice for Edmonton than RNH, but contracts matter. The Oilers can't afford to potentially throw away a highly regarded center locked up to a long term contract at his peak trade value for an impending UFA.

And why not? Because we might magically be worse? Can't get much worse than last year although given its the Oilers they very well could.

North

Jun 25, 2009
You don't sit on your ass and worry either. This team needs major upgrades on D unless its content with finishing last again.

You're on an island.

You maximize your trade chips not throw them away on a UFA to be.

I'm not saying hold on to RNH forever but if the choice is a UFA to be or keep him, then you keep him.

If you can find a team willing to provide an established d with term then and only then do you consider pulling the trigger.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Sounds like Kulikov might shake out of Florida as Campbell is expected to re-sign, as per their beat writer.

I like the idea of Sekera-Kulikov as a second pairing.

Me too. I saw him play a few times. Big. Got penalties for being a hard nosed kid in junior.

Boston started with the 29th.
What are Florida's forward needs? Start with the Oilers second and add a roster player?
Yak or Pouliot or what?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You're on an island.

You maximize your trade chips not throw them away on a UFA to be.

I'm not saying hold on to RNH forever but if the choice is a UFA to be or keep him, then you keep him.

If you can find a team willing to provide an established d with term then and only then do you consider pulling the trigger.

And suppose said deal never comes? If this team goes into TC without at least one top pairing or two 3/4 defensemen added we might as well make the 2017 draft thread.

nullmeatbag

Jun 16, 2009
Me too. I saw him play a few times. Big. Got penalties for being a hard nosed kid in junior.

Boston started with the 29th.
What are Florida's forward needs? Start with the Oilers second and add a roster player?
Yak or Pouliot or what?

2nd + Yak?

If we can pull that off and Shattenkirk for non-RNH assets, I'd be okay with keeping our forward core together as is for one more year and see how they do with a D that can actually move the puck.

If you can't re-sign Shattenkirk, get some assets for him at the deadline and swing for the fences (with an Eberle that hopefully has gained some value) for a #1/2 D next offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad