Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Yamamoto Signed, Sceviour on a PTO, Anything Else or All Done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
A Skinner and Hart tandem would be awesome to see. Two local Edmonton players playing net for the oilers would be such a great story.

We would probably have to put one of our Top goalie prospects, a player like Yams and possibly a High draft pick to get Hart though

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
A Skinner and Hart tandem would be awesome to see. Two local Edmonton players playing for the oilers would be such a great story.

We would probably have to put one of our Top goalie prospects, a player like Yams and possibly a High draft pick to get Hart though

Would cost a lot more than that (Wallsteadt would have been a useful asset in this situation)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Don't see why Arizona makes this trade. They'd want a positive asset back. At least a 2nd and a conditional 3rd (turns into a 2nd based on playoff success)
They would do it because they got no goalie.
I don't think Oilers can swap Koski for Kessel straight across anyway.
But yeh, ARI would probably want a Benson instead of Kassian

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Kessel is an interesting option. He is only owned 1 mill in real money this season--he already got his 5mill signing bonus. A few teams could be interesting in him, My guess is Arizona wants a 1st and a prospect for him and at the deadline--they may get it. I am not a fan of Kessel

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
They would do it because they got no goalie.
I don't think Oilers can swap Koski for Kessel straight across anyway.
But yeh, ARI would probably want a Benson instead of Kassian

If they wanted a goalie, they would have signed one in the offseason, whole keeping Kessel. For less money too. What would upgrading their goaltending this year even accomplish?

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We have no one on our team at the defensive numbers as Tanev, not even close.
In general their defence is better defensively than our team is.
Our defence is better offensively theirs is better defensively.

Just because a lot of their defensemen fit the profile of players that should theoretically be good defensively, doesn't actually mean that they are good defensively.

I'll give you Tanev, but Kylington, Gudbranson, Hanifin and probably Zadorov are all varying degrees of not good defensively.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Really guys? Carter Hart? I can see a world where he bounces back but Edmonton is unlikely to be the place that happens given our weak defense and we can't be taking a risk on what's effectively the biggest question mark in all of hockey.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Just because a lot of their defensemen fit the profile of players that should theoretically be good defensively, doesn't actually mean that they are good defensively.

I'll give you Tanev, but Kylington, Gudbranson, Hanifin and probably Zadorov are all varying degrees of not good defensively.
And Ceci, Keith, Barrie, Koekkoek and Bouchard are all varying degrees of not good defensively. If you look at it pair by pair

Nurse - Barrie >>> Zadorov - Tanev
Keith - Ceci <<<< Hamilton - Anderson
Kylington - Gudbranson < Koekkoek - Bouchard

The major difference is the second pair. The difference between the top pair is large but imo that second pair is so much better than ours it’s hilarious. At least Tanev can anchor that top pair defensively, our second pair is just bad. Our defence was worse than theirs last year, both teams defence took a step back but they lost Gio who was on a decline and replaced him with Zadorov, we lost Larsson, Bear and replaced them with Keith and Ceci which is a downgrade

They have stronger goaltending but the big difference between the teams is forwards where we smoke them

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
And Ceci, Keith, Barrie, Koekkoek and Bouchard are all varying degrees of not good defensively. If you look at it pair by pair

The major difference is the second pair. The difference between the top pair is large but imo that second pair is so much better than ours it’s hilarious. At least Tanev can anchor that top pair defensively, our second pair is just bad.

They have stronger goaltending but the big difference between the teams is forwards where we smoke them

Hanifin (they wish they still had Hamilton :D) and Ratmouse are that much better than Keith and Ceci? I don’t buy it

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Apparently Kessel is available.

Could be a time to unload the Kass contract if we attach a good asset or two with him...

Kass + 1st + XXX for Kessel?

That top 6 would be insane.
For Phil the thrill!?!

Is he even playing in the league anymore? Serious question, I haven’t heard his name in years.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

The major difference is the second pair. The difference between the top pair is large but imo that second pair is so much better than ours it’s hilarious. At least Tanev can anchor that top pair defensively, our second pair is just bad. Our defence was worse than theirs last year, both teams defence took a step back but they lost Gio who was on a decline and replaced him with Zadorov, we lost Larsson, Bear and replaced them with Keith and Ceci which is a downgrade

I actually feel a lot better about Keith after watching the last game than I did when the trade was made.

Reactions: gordonhught

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hanifin (they wish they still had Hamilton :D) and Ratmouse are that much better than Keith and Ceci? I don’t buy it
Ratmouse averaged a minute more a game last year, saw tougher matchups and did as good as Ceci did last year, which I think will be the outlier for Ceci. Ceci was also on a much better team.

Hanifin averaged 45 seconds more 5v5 than Keith and his numbers were substantially better across the board. He is also at the age where guys like him take another step forward. Same with Andersson. If by some miracle Ceci can repeat what he did last year in Pittsburgh while playing a much tougher role and more minutes it balances but the chances of that happening are lower than Calgarys chances at the cup

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I actually feel a lot better about Keith after watching the last game than I did when the trade was made.
I mean, I do too but he is full stop a worse player than Hanifin and I don’t think he is good enough to drag Ceci around

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I mean, I do too but he is full stop a worse player than Hanifin and I don’t think he is good enough to drag Ceci around
Yeah, but it makes a difference if Keith is an average second pairing defenseman vs. being one of the worst defensemen in the league like he was in Chicago lately.

Also I'm not convinced Tanev can carry Zadorov for a full season. At some point they'll probably put Hanifin and Tanev together, which leaves Zadorov and Andersson on the second pairing.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, but it makes a difference if Keith is an average second pairing defenseman vs. being one of the worst defensemen in the league like he was in Chicago lately.

Also I'm not convinced Tanev can carry Zadorov for a full season. At some point they'll probably put Hanifin and Tanev together, which leaves Zadorov and Andersson on the second pairing.
True but that’s still quite a jump. Hanifin and Tanev would be as good of a pairing as Nurse and Barrie imo. Definitely not as good offensively but way better defensively. No matter how you chock it they are pretty even defensively unless Bouchard becomes a legit top 4 defender

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Once again we need to stop looking at defenses on paper as being "better defensively". That's just not how it works. It's all part of the same scheme to score more than you allow. It doesn't really matter if your defense surrenders more high danger chances if they also work together w/ the rest of the team to generate more possession, shots, and goals.

To put it another way, the Flames were already in the top-5 for fewest scoring chances and high danger chances against last year. It didn't help them because, untalented and stifled by coaching, they don't convert as much as their opponents do.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
True but that’s still quite a jump. Hanifin and Tanev would be as good of a pairing as Nurse and Barrie imo. Definitely not as good offensively but way better defensively. No matter how you chock it they are pretty even defensively unless Bouchard becomes a legit top 4 defender
They're different types of defences suited for different styles of play.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Ratmouse averaged a minute more a game last year, saw tougher matchups and did as good as Ceci did last year, which I think will be the outlier for Ceci. Ceci was also on a much better team.

Hanifin averaged 45 seconds more 5v5 than Keith and his numbers were substantially better across the board. He is also at the age where guys like him take another step forward. Same with Andersson. If by some miracle Ceci can repeat what he did last year in Pittsburgh while playing a much tougher role and more minutes it balances but the chances of that happening are lower than Calgarys chances at the cup

I think Keith is going to be a lot better in 2nd pairing minutes. He’s already looked pretty good with 0 games prior and minimal practice with the team

For Ceci the expectation is for him to be around the level of what he was last season, we’ll see

On the other hand, like you’ve said, Andresson will be looking to bounce back and Hanafin will be hoping to progress. There’s no guarantee of either happening and early returns appear to be so so. Flames fans are talking up Kylington while mostly ignoring these two, I think that’s pretty telling.

We’ll see what happens in the season but I think “<<<<“ might be a bit much.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
20g and 43pts in 56 games last year. Still playing and still effective.

2 years removed from back to years of 92 and 82 points.

It's shocking to me that he's still got it. But he would be purely a hired gun. I would definitely take him on this team, though I hesitate at Yamomoto being the cost, even if it means moving out salary and Arizona retaining.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I'd give more credit to Koekkoek-Bouchard than one > vs. that pair, but more or less fair enough on the rest.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think Keith is going to be a lot better in 2nd pairing minutes. He’s already looked pretty good with 0 games prior and minimal practice with the team

For Ceci the expectation is for him to be around the level of what he was last season, we’ll see

On the other hand, like you’ve said, Andresson will be looking to bounce back and Hanafin will be hoping to progress. There’s no guarantee of either happening and early returns appear to be so so. Flames fans are talking up Kylington while mostly ignoring these two, I think that’s pretty telling.

We’ll see what happens in the season but I think “<<<<“ might be a bit much.
If Keith had a better partner I’d agree but he has Ceci so that pairing is going to be a net negative almost constantly. If Bouchard can progress and steal Cecis spot then maybe but as long as Ceci is the guy there that pairing is going to be the weak spot every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad