Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Yamamoto Signed, Sceviour on a PTO, Anything Else or All Done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'd give more credit to Koekkoek-Bouchard than one > vs. that pair, but more or less fair enough on the rest.
It’s mostly cause Koekkoek was absolutely abysmal last year and imo I think Gudbranson is better. The > is purely from Bouchard

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If they wanted a goalie, they would have signed one in the offseason, whole keeping Kessel. For less money too. What would upgrading their goaltending this year even accomplish?
If we wanted a winger we would've signed one in offseason too.
Also, 'upgrading' indicates you already got someone. ARI doesn't have an NHL level goalie and would value Koskinen a lot more than Kassian or Turris.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
My buddy has been saying for months that flames are a destination...lol.
Also texted me yesterday to bitch about what a whiner McDavid was. He couldn't really hold up much defense when I broke down the Tanev play. Something tells me he is on CalgaryPuck...
I see Flames fans are back to thinking they can get Eichel for nothing but garbage.

Reactions: Del Preston

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah, but it makes a difference if Keith is an average second pairing defenseman vs. being one of the worst defensemen in the league like he was in Chicago lately.

Also I'm not convinced Tanev can carry Zadorov for a full season. At some point they'll probably put Hanifin and Tanev together, which leaves Zadorov and Andersson on the second pairing.

I know that we had a back and forth in the offseason, but IMO Keith's demise is really overstated. Is he still a stud #1 defenseman? Of course not. But he moves the puck quickly and crisply and his skating is still a strength even in a much faster league. IMO he will be our 3rd best defenseman until Bouchard settles in and really takes off.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Once again we need to stop looking at defenses on paper as being "better defensively". That's just not how it works. It's all part of the same scheme to score more than you allow. It doesn't really matter if your defense surrenders more high danger chances if they also work together w/ the rest of the team to generate more possession, shots, and goals.

To put it another way, the Flames were already in the top-5 for fewest scoring chances and high danger chances against last year. It didn't help them because, untalented and stifled by coaching, they don't convert as much as their opponents do.
Calgary scored 1 less 5v5 goal than us last year and allowed 12 less than us. The only difference between us was special teams. There defence was better last year too.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I know that we had a back and forth in the offseason, but IMO Keith's demise is really overstated. Is he still a stud #1 defenseman? Of course not. But he moves the puck quickly and crisply and his skating is still a strength even in a much faster league. IMO he will be our 3rd best defenseman until Bouchard settles in and really takes off.
He will be our 3rd best defender, but how good he is will tell you how good or bad our team is lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad