Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "Wrong Side of Heaven, Righteous Side of (Salary Cap) Hell"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I still say we do not have as much money as people think once we sign one or two people and the fact that Nurse needs a new contract after next season

We need a couple players. We are closer then we think. I also think our shiny new prospect will be making an appearance and having an impact this season. One can hope we sure need it.

we got the assets to make some trades too. No one wants to hear about us trading any of our shiny toys but I think Holland makes a splash here.

I know I would be trading the first for sure. And all prospects would be on the table. Some more then others just depends on what is being traded for.

Reactions: Proko88

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This is what I think will happen in the offseason:

1. Caleb Jones taken in expansion draft.

2. Hall re-signs with Boston before free agency and then we trade for Debrusk and Frederic (Stauffer has been talking about trading for a 3C and has brought up Frederic on his show). Ship out Kassian and a picks/prospects to even up the salary a bit.

3. Re-sign RNH, Larsson, Kulikov & Smith.

4. Oilers buy out Neal.

5. Oilers sign Tatar, Oleksiak, and Mrazek in free agency.

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Tatar-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Debrusk-Frederic-Archibald
Khaira-McLeod-Shore

Nurse-Larsson
Oleksiak-Bear
Kulikov-Bouchard
Russell

Mrazek
Smith

Is it the greatest lineup? Certainly not. But I think it at least patches up most of the holes on the roster.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'm in agreement with this. I'm probably willing to take the bait in another thread, but these conversations completely highjack threads. It buries all the talk about actual players, which is kind of fun to discuss around this time of year.

Are there lots of rumours being drowned out? It's late June, we're a month away from the expansion draft and free agency, there doesn't seem to be much going on.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I still say we do not have as much money as people think once we sign one or two people and the fact that Nurse needs a new contract after next season

You keep saying this but it isn't true. They will have up to $29M cap space if they buy out Neal. If they sign Nuge, Larsson and Yamamoto to around $12M as expected, that's about $15M-$17M or so to fill out the roster, maybe a little less if they want to leave some in season cushion. Plus there are trade possibilities so there could be some money in, money out situations. They won't fill all the needs but they can fill a few of them with significant upgrades.

Also, people keep talking about this supposed huge Nurse raise as if it's going to be handicap the Oilers. Uh guys, his raise is going to be $2-$2.5M. I think the Oilers will be able to handle that. The Puljujarvi raise if he has a big year could be the bigger issue but then again, he'll still be an RFA so the Oilers will still have some leverage with him either way.

Reactions: The Nuge

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

2. Hall re-signs with Boston before free agency and then we trade for Debrusk and Frederic (Stauffer has been talking about trading for a 3C and has brought up Frederic on his show). Ship out Kassian and a picks/prospects to even up the salary a bit.

4. Oilers buy out Neal.

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Tatar-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Khaira-McLeod-Shore

Nurse-Larsson
Oleksiak-Bear
Kulikov-Bouchard
Russell

Mrazek
Smith

Is it the greatest lineup? Certainly not. But I think it at least patches up most of the holes on the roster.

God I would hate bringing back Kulikov.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

4. Oilers buy out Neal.

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Tatar-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Khaira-McLeod-Shore

Nurse-Larsson
Oleksiak-Bear
Kulikov-Bouchard
Russell

Mrazek
Smith

I don't think Frederic is a #3C.

He barely has 4th line offense and has played almost exclusively at wing.

Reactions: 780il

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Halloway guys… we can’t forget this guy. He played with Caufield. And look at him go.. Halloway gonna get a look and you know he’s itching for it.

imagine watching your linemate ripping up the NHL in the playoffs as a rookie?

I have a good feeling boys.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

4. Oilers buy out Neal.

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Tatar-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Khaira-McLeod-Shore

Nurse-Larsson
Oleksiak-Bear
Kulikov-Bouchard
Russell

Mrazek
Smith

Yuck. Frederic is a 4C at best right now.

Reactions: Smartguy

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I don't think Frederic is a #3C.

He barely has 4th line offense and has played almost exclusively at wing.

Yeah, Ideally he is 4th liner, but Stauffer has name dropped him as a 3C option for us lol
He would really just be a stop-gap until Holloway can step in as 3C imo.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You keep saying this but it isn't true. They will have up to $29M cap space if they buy out Neal. If they sign Nuge, Larsson and Yamamoto to around $12M as expected, that's about $15M-$17M or so to fill out the roster, maybe a little less if they want to leave some in season cushion. Plus there are trade possibilities so there could be some money in, money out situations. They won't fill all the needs but they can fill a few of them with significant upgrades.

Also, people keep talking about this supposed huge Nurse raise as if it's going to be handicap the Oilers. Uh guys, his raise is going to be $2-$2.5M. I think the Oilers will be able to handle that. The Puljujarvi raise if he has a big year could be the bigger issue but then again, he'll still be an RFA so the Oilers will still have some leverage with him either way.

and Nurse next year? Jesse and Bear also will need a new contracts after next season.

When I say we have less money than some think--I am looking at the bigger picture beyond this one off season. I believe the flat cap is for 3 seasons?

And I still have not seen a reasonable transaction for a goalie. I have it pencilled in at about 6 mill

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yeah, Ideally he is 4th liner, but Stauffer has name dropped him as a 3C option for us lol
He would really just be a stop-gap until Holloway can step in as 3C imo.

Ever since Holland has come in, Stauffer hasn't really been right about anything. He never knew we were going to get Barrie for example or that we were going to draft Holloway

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
I'm sure I don't need to remind you of Detroit's current state?
Yes Detroit is no where near what they used to be but neither is any other team that’s won cups in the past. La Chicago oilers islanders Pittsburgh and same will be said for Tampa one day. Holland helped build Detroit into a powerhouse team and now there back to starting over again same as all sports teams go through. I’m willing to give Holland the benefit that this offseason is actually his first season to start building something.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
IMO the only thing they need to knock out of the park is goalie. As per usual.
Secondary is keeping Larsson and RNH or replacing them in FA.

IF they can bring in an FA or two to help push the Benson, Marody, Holloway, Lavoie, McLeod types thats great but thats a decent group of guys to expect a step from next year....plus whatever else they can get for free i guess (ie. Safin).

IMO they just need a goalie and some internal growth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You live in a world where growth doesn't exist. And it's an overwhelmingly pessimistic world where failure is always unavoidable.

The fact of the matter is that McDavid and Draisaitl aren't going anywhere. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are still very young. Our team has the assets to improve the weaker points of the roster this summer and they have a number of emerging prospects next season to look forward to.

Or maybe they'll re-sign everybody and do exactly what they did last season. I don't know. You typed a lot and didn't exactly say anything.

It's not optimistic/pessimistic, it's just reality, this forward group as presently constructed can't even reliably get goals against a mediocre playoff defensive opponent, let alone go up against the cream of the crop teams.

If they want that to change, they are going to need serious upgrades.

Denying that and pretending that's not the case is actually worse than pessimism, at least in that scenario you are realistic and can take action, but if you're living in fantasy land, you delay that for years, which is in part what this franchise has done in the past.

Good organizations are brutally honest.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The forward core that couldn't piss a drop of offence in game 1 and 2 putting themselves behind the 8 ball and completely wiping out their home ice advantage? This was against a defensively mediocre team like Winnipeg, against an actual good defensive team they probably would get blanked for 3+ games.

That forward core is no where near good enough. It's two players and the support players are so poor that we have to keep going back to McDavid + Draisaitl on one line to have even one reliable scoring line.

The forwards as a whole suck and can are very easy to game plan against for a playoff round. The Habs, Leafs, and Jets all were able to just down this forward group successfully for 2-3 game stretches at a time, every team from now on in a playoff round will study exactly that when going into a playoff series against us.

The book is out on this version of the team, if they ever want to actually win a playoff round sometime they are going to have to significantly improve all aspects of it and that includes the top 6 that constantly falls apart and causes Tippett to run back to the 1 line McDrai security blanket.
What home ice advantage? Other than last change the only teams who had an actual home ice advantage were the American teams.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What home ice advantage?

They had last change which should be a tactical advantage even if Tippett is too stupid to realize it half the time.

But you open a series 0-2 and your odds of winning the series plummet dramatically. Sure you can come back, but you mix in a mentally fragile young team and welp ... you see what happens. We can't piss away series' starts like that and we did because Winnipeg exposed our forward group in game 1/2.

They studied what Toronto and Montreal had done in the regular season for stretches and basically just did the same thing and this forward group had no answers until they were already in a 0-2 hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad