Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Trying to Find a Diamond on Sale Among Trays of Cubic Zirconia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Great post. Passion to me are fans cheering and going nuts in the stands and streets. Maybe booing a really bad game. But that’s where it stops.

Online harassment, yelling insults at players when they are in a grocery store, bullying a players wife, this sort of thing is sickening and it seems Oilers fans are leading the charge for being complete :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: when it comes to player abuse especially on Twitter. Oiler Twitter has become a saying among the media and its seen as a major negative.

Time for many to turn the page and stop being such negative pricks both here and on other platforms. We can all critique without being negative.

Everything that you've mentioned should be left at the rink. Actively trying to be an asshole to someone or their family because you don't like the way they do their job is beyond disgusting. I do agree with others that it's best for athletes to not look at social media because of how toxic it is. Same with teenagers, etc. Those places are platforms for assholes to go to another level.

Also, sorry to hear that your child was bullied, I hope that they are doing much better in adulthood and are treated much better by the circles that they run in now. There is no room for that shit in this day and age yet far too much of it still goes on.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
In no way, shape or form do I condone that nonsense. Social media is a disgusting place where more idiots can voice their disgusting opinions. People like that need to be boot stomped.

However, the core of rotten fans have always been there, from bananas being thrown on the ice, to attacking religious beliefs, significant others being slandered, and players even having objects thrown at them. It's brutal.

But I will say IMO Bear weaponized it a bit. The timing of it surely came out when his NHL future sure looked bleak.
And that's not to say he shouldn't have said something or he or his gf are lying about what takes place. We all know that ignorance happens, and is pathetic. However it was timely that this guy was truly teetering on a NHL career and that bumped his value as a player.
I wouldn’t go so far as to say his NHL career was teetering. He was at crossroads where he was going to be either a good 4/5 or a good 2/3. We are betting on a 4/5. We will see what happens.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Pretty sure Bear wanted to be traded. Oilers Twitter got two good players to leave the team lmao

Honestly it sucks but I dont think you can be on twitter these days if you're somewhat famous. Guys like Larsson/Bear hear this stuff and honestly its a pretty small amount of people saying it and you dont even know if its even Oilers fans b/c its anonymous on the internet. Social media is toxic.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
In no way, shape or form do I condone that nonsense. Social media is a disgusting place where more idiots can voice their disgusting opinions. People like that need to be boot stomped.

However, the core of rotten fans have always been there, from bananas being thrown on the ice, to attacking religious beliefs, significant others being slandered, and players even having objects thrown at them. It's brutal.

But I will say IMO Bear weaponized it a bit. The timing of it surely came out when his NHL future sure looked bleak.
And that's not to say he shouldn't have said something or he or his gf are lying about what takes place. We all know that ignorance happens, and is pathetic. However it was timely that this guy was truly teetering on a NHL career and that bumped his value as a player.
Bears NHL future looked bleak?

no

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Just to be clear I am not commenting on mods or specific posters. But the kind of unadulterated bullying, abusiveness and acidic behaviour seen on Twitter carries over here as well on occasion.

Players will say “fans are passionate” but the word passionate, well that’s a euphemism for “assholes who can’t control themselves”.

No agreed, I think we're on the same page. Mods aren't to blame for the current situation.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Cut the bullshit and talk hockey.

Well seeing as Edmonton has had trouble attracting and keeping good players at times, it's good for people to see how it affects some players when they are targeted with hate. We can't undo what the people that harassed Bear did but we can all reflect on ourselves and make sure that we don't take things too far ourselves and call out this kind of crap when we see it.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Honestly it sucks but I dont think you can be on twitter these days if you're somewhat famous. Guys like Larsson/Bear hear this stuff and honestly its a pretty small amount of people saying it and you dont even know if its even Oilers fans b/c its anonymous on the internet. Social media is toxic.

For all we know, it could be Calgary Puck trolls posing as Oilers fans (yes, they would stoop that low)

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Honestly Yes I do, I feel like he'll look around and truly see that open 3LD spot has his best chance for finding success, however it's measured.

That's something I hope for too, but he has other suitors too and we definitely can't compete with money cos our cap situation, but again Barrie took discount to come here.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
As the father of someone who was relentlessly bullied online and in school - and it nearly broke him - I have zero tolerance for the “get a thicker skin” line.

Rather how about “be a better person” and don’t bully, abuse and harrass people online?
Sorry to hear that.

online has made this problem so much worse with how much anonymity there is now days.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For all we know, it could be Calgary Puck trolls posing as Oilers fans (yes, they would stoop that low)

This is true, not so much CP as it could be any trolls, but just fans that hate our team trying to be a holes. I remember those idiots harassing McDavid, Oilers fans would not do that unless they were literally complete tools. Don't look at all of this crap and you're healthier mentally for it unless you get off on proving them wrong and use such crap as motivation, in which case, get your fill.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This is true, not so much CP as it could be any trolls, but just fans that hate our team trying to be a holes. I remember those idiots harassing McDavid, Oilers fans would not do that unless they were literally complete tools. Don't look at all of this crap and you're healthier mentally for it unless you get off on proving them wrong and use such crap as motivation, in which case, get your fill.

Yes, this is one of the many bad aspects of social media. You can literally pose as someone else/another fanbase and give them a bad reputation.

There are features on social media sites such as Instagram and I believe Twitter as well where you can limit the comments to just friends/people you follow so this would allow players to share aspects of their lives with the fans without having to see any negative comments. I don't think many people (like Ethan) are aware of these features sadly.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's something I hope for too, but he has other suitors too and we definitely can't compete with money cos our cap situation, but again Barrie took discount to come here.
Like you get to play, likely, with a young high skill offensive defenseman and gets to play with the 2 best offensive players in the world, he'd get points by accident.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I haven't thought much about it but the topic came up recently because some players mentioned social media hate as a big issue across Canada, and as one of the big reasons why Canadian teams are often avoided. Some examples were brought up where player's family members were getting a lot of hate messages. That's a very obvious case where you can't just ignore it, but I also just don't know what it's like to have online hate directed at me in general. I can't say "oh just ignore it" because I think I'd probably fail at ignoring it and it would drive me bonkers.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Wonder what Buffalo will be like once they trade Eichel. I wouldnt be surprised if the team actually starts to improve. They both need a change or scenery at this point.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I haven't thought much about it but the topic came up recently because some players mentioned social media hate as a big issue across Canada, and as one of the big reasons why Canadian teams are often avoided. Some examples were brought up where player's family members were getting a lot of hate messages. That's a very obvious case where you can't just ignore it, but I also just don't know what it's like to have online hate directed at me in general. I can't say "oh just ignore it" because I think I'd probably fail at ignoring it and it would drive me bonkers.

I know all the 'thought police' arguments, but people should be held accountable for how they treat other people. Online, a clerk at the mall, whatever. I see stuff every day that shouldn't happen.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Say what you will about Barrie and his defensive abilities, or whether you can have success with him on your top pairing, or whether his minutes are better served through Bouchard, but the fact he very clearly took a cut to sign in Edmonton again is strangely not getting any attention at all.

Yes, he got lots of points playing with McDrai, but the reality is that we got the highest scoring dman in the league on a very favorable deal, in both money and term. In an off season where all the defenders are getting over paid it seems. Barrie should get credit for that IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad