Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Trying to Find a Diamond on Sale Among Trays of Cubic Zirconia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
E0BRxONXsAECwbK-610x400.jpg

Make it so

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
You know the wheels are gonna fall off on Chara sooner than later, but it would be fun to see him play a season in Edmonton.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Is the team finally done with Patrick Russell?

Would have been nice to see him score at least one goal in his NHL career... or at least set a record with most career games played without a goal. :)

#1 Steven Halko holds the record with a 155 game career without a goal.

#2 Matt Smaby comes in second with a 122 game career without a goal

#3 Some guy named Dallas Eakins is third with a 120 game career without a goal. Hmmm.... maybe that's why the Oilers team he coached wasn't so successful... he knew a lot about carrying water and chopping wood but not a lot about scoring goals.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The strangest thing about this off-season is that Holland was trying to go all in for a goalie last season with little cap, but not this season with tonnes of cap. Granted, he didn't have Smith locked in then.

The question is... did the mandate from the players to acquire a cup winning vet (Keith) prevent the team from getting a goalie.

What if instead we traded Jones for a pick and signed a cheaper guy like Murray.

Is this team better with Murray/Mrazek or Keith/Koskinen?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm for moving Kassian contract to free up the cap space to address other issues and the irritation he causes with his inconsistent effort, but I will say 2 things about him, first he answers the bell and given how many guys Calgary has now that love to hit and hit often, I don't mind having someone who helps keep them accountable. Second thing despite him mailing it on so many nights, I always feel like he's ready to go and is giving his best come playoff time.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Man we have a toxic fan base. A fella was ripping me on an Oilers site because I think the Oilers didnt do good getting Foegele for Bear. He said he is nothing but a plug. He then went on to say we made the same mistakes with Petry . He said Bear made a mistake in the playoffs so we traded him. He then said Petry made a mistake in the playoffs and that’s why he was traded
The problem here is Petry never played in the playoffs in Edmonton and the guy spelt his name Petrie. MacT and Lowe made that mistake trading Lowe. They wouldn’t pay him. They brought in Nikitin from CBJ. We all know how that went

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I have to say I don't quite get the amount of hate towards Koskinen. For sure the contract is plain terrible and last season was pretty bad. But wasn't he forced to play too much at the beginning of the season and did pretty well for a long while? Or maybe it was a year before.

2019-2020 ten teams had a goalie/goalies with better sv% than Koskinen and he was clearly ahead of Smith. A year before his sv% was worse, but about the same as Talbot had a year earlier in the Oilers and much better than that of Montoya's a year earlier (in Edmonton) or what Smith had the same year.

Like I said the contract is terrible and I understand after the last season a change in that section may be needed. But maybe Koskinen hasn't been quite that bad during the time he's been in the Oilers. Maybe this means the Oilers could find a way to get rid of his contract for a tolerable price.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have to say I don't quite get the amount of hate towards Koskinen. For sure the contract is plain terrible and last season was pretty bad. But wasn't he forced to play too much at the beginning of the season and did pretty well for a long while? Or maybe it was a year before.

2019-2020 ten teams had a goalie/goalies with better sv% than Koskinen and he was clearly ahead of Smith. A year before his sv% was worse, but about the same as Talbot had a year earlier in the Oilers and much better than that of Montoya's a year earlier (in Edmonton) or what Smith had the same year.

Like I said the contract is terrible and I understand after the last season a change in that section may be needed. But maybe Koskinen hasn't been quite that bad during the time he's been in the Oilers. Maybe this means the Oilers could find a way to get rid of his contract for a tolerable price.
He's been every bit as bad, because it's not the numbers it's the how.

If you see he let in 2 goals on 25 shots, one might think, oh not a bad outing, 920 sv%.

However if it's the first shot of the game again, and then the first shot after the team battles to tie it, we get a different trend.

It's not on a spreadsheet, it's on the ice all the ways he lets in goals and demoralizing the team. All "key saves" he doesn't come up with because they're "hard shots"

The team doesn't trust him and they play like it, which just holds everyone back.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Man we have a toxic fan base. A fella was ripping me on an Oilers site because I think the Oilers did good getting Foegele for Bear. He said he is nothing but a plug. He then went on to say we made the same mistakes with Petry . He said Bear made a mistake in the playoffs so we traded him. He then said Petry made a mistake in the playoffs and that’s why he was traded
The problem here is Petry never played in the playoffs in Edmonton and the guy spelt his name Petrie. MacT and Lowe made that mistake trading Lowe. They wouldn’t pay him. They brought in Nikitin from CBJ. We all know how that went

Nothing you can do dude and not your responsibility to change his mind. Lots of what he projecting, all that negativity is a reflection of himself and deep seeded issues that haven't had a proper outlet to be expressed. The only way he can do that is projecting into a subject that he familiar with.

But that doesn' solve the issue because the issue really his own problems of probably been cast off without given a chance, or he made a mistake and someone abandoned him. You can see why he is so vehement about that particular issue.

You just have to walk away, because the only person that can help them is themselves. Some serious reflection and introspection in where that trauma came from and start healing. Self love and self forgiveness and self acceptence so they can leg go. Otherwise it just repeats itself and lashes out to the outside world.

Reactions: McDoused

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Man we have a toxic fan base. A fella was ripping me on an Oilers site because I think the Oilers did good getting Foegele for Bear. He said he is nothing but a plug. He then went on to say we made the same mistakes with Petry . He said Bear made a mistake in the playoffs so we traded him. He then said Petry made a mistake in the playoffs and that’s why he was traded
Forget their surnames, which one of these players do you think should hold more value?

Player A
25 years old
Winger
Shoots left
3 seasons in NHL
0.34 PPG (tops 30 points)
Last year TOI/gm 14:09 (13:43 year before)
73 games in AHL 0.63 PPG
Middle six winger.

Player B
24 years old
Defensemen
Shoots right
2 seasons in NHL
0.25 PPG (Tops 21 points)
Last year TOI/gm 17:58 (21:58 year before)
89 games in AHL 0.55 PPG
2nd pairing defensemen, that kept his head above surface in his rookie year when he was forced to play 1st pairing minutes.

There is no way that Player A holds more value. Middle six wingers are one of the most easiest players to acquire, unlike promising young right shooting defensemen. Player B is younger, has played year less in NHL and 24 is youngish for Dmen, but 25 year old hard working winger is in his prime at the moment. Add the not so nice Ceci deal into the picture and there isn't much to like.

Don't acquire Keith(saving 5mil already), try to trade Jones + pick for Foegele, don't sign Ceci and hold on to Bear.

Reactions: Aerchon

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think (as most fan bases do with their players) a lot of people value Bear more than the rest of the league does.

We had too many middle of the pack dmen, and not enough middle of the pack forwards.

We still have a few VERY promising dmen coming along.

The trade might be a lose in a few years, but it makes the team better today.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He's been every bit as bad, because it's not the numbers it's the how.

If you see he let in 2 goals on 25 shots, one might think, oh not a bad outing, 920 sv%.

However if it's the first shot of the game again, and then the first shot after the team battles to tie it, we get a different trend.

It's not on a spreadsheet, it's on the ice all the ways he lets in goals and demoralizing the team. All "key saves" he doesn't come up with because they're "hard shots"

The team doesn't trust him and they play like it, which just holds everyone back.

I just think the memory of the fans doesn't often go quite far back in time. There were times when fans over here were actually pretty happy with Koskinen, but of course nobody remembers those times now. Only the old messages do :) And now that the Oilers are obviously trying to trade Koskinen I understand the preference to concentrate on the negatives. That's fine, I don't really mind. It'll be interesting to see if the possible new goalie, whoever he might be, will meet the expectations, but I certainly hope he will.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I just think the memory of the fans doesn't often go quite far back in time. There were times when fans over here were actually pretty happy with Koskinen, but of course nobody remembers those times now. Only the old messages do :) And now that the Oilers are obviously trying to trade Koskinen I understand the preference to concentrate on the negatives. That's fine, I don't really mind. It'll be interesting to see if the possible new goalie, whoever he might be, will meet the expectations, but I certainly hope he will.
The team doesn't trust him, you can't (after everything done so far), put that guys back in the room as one of their equals, because its just a slap in the face. They need to move on from Koskinen and they need to find another goalie.

2 things they have to do, not an either or.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
My last Oilers game in Edmonton, Koskinen saved our bacon against the Flyers and somehow made 49 saves on 53 shots.

I wonder where things went wrong with him.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I don’t think Koskinen is a bad goalie. If we trade him, I wouldn’t be surprised if he rebounds and plays well for new team. Problem with Koskinen imo is that the players don’t seem to trust him and I think its very risky starting the year with him. I blame Schwartz more than Koskinen personally.

Reactions: ani and BlackDogg

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Forget their surnames, which one of these players do you think should hold more value?

2nd pairing defensemen, that kept his head above surface in his rookie year when he was forced to play 1st pairing minutes.

There is no way that Player A holds more value. Middle six wingers are one of the most easiest players to acquire, unlike promising young right shooting defensemen. Player B is younger, has played year less in NHL and 24 is youngish for Dmen, but 25 year old hard working winger is in his prime at the moment. Add the not so nice Ceci deal into the picture and there isn't much to like.

Don't acquire Keith(saving 5mil already), try to trade Jones + pick for Foegele, don't sign Ceci and hold on to Bear.

His potential might potentially be 2nd paring defenseman, but I'm still not sold on this after step back last year. And if you're saying he's 2nd paring defenseman, maybe he's to us but if you count whole league, I don't think so. So basically you're overvaluing our players again, stop it and be realistic, we got fair value which is helping us. And he had to go because of Bouchard, Evan needs to paly more and I think he's ready for that. Ceci is on of those complementary players what u need. I'm fine with Foegele as return, he's type middle six winger we need and hard to play against. But your post as whole is like, we need to make a trade, but we made a trade so it's shit because all our players are GOATs.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Why are you assuming Jones gets you Foegele. There's nothing to suggest that.
What has Foegele (career high 30 points and plays wing) done that you think he holds high value? And it doesn't have to be Foegele. Like the player, but sure there are tons of decent upgrades to middle six that Jones + pick would fetch.

I was really on board to fix the bottom six because that has been a issue for years, but our defense wasn't strong and now they went to full mystery box mode to upgrade middle six. Defense is much more important than 3rd and 4th lines. Hope it works out, but I have doubts.

Reactions: Aerchon

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Maybe Holland might sign Svechnikov. He's still available and would only cost league minimum. 8 points in 21 games last season

Reactions: McDoused

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Player A
25 years old
Winger
Shoots left
3 seasons in NHL
0.34 PPG (tops 30 points)
Last year TOI/gm 14:09 (13:43 year before)
73 games in AHL 0.63 PPG
Middle six winger.

Player B
24 years old
Defensemen
Shoots right
2 seasons in NHL
0.25 PPG (Tops 21 points)
Last year TOI/gm 17:58 (21:58 year before)
89 games in AHL 0.55 PPG

We needed to beef up our bottom 6. That’s what we did with a player who can skate, has size, and youth. If that player in a bottom 6 role can chip in with 10-15 goals, that’s another win. This player does that
As for the dman, do u want an undersized dman getting man handled in our zone? That doesn’t work. U know why Montreal did good? They had a big 4 of defenceman that could move players outta the way so Price could see the puck
They play TB and TB has a big team . The bottom 6 in TB man handled lots of teams

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Nothing you can do dude and not your responsibility to change his mind. Lots of what he projecting, all that negativity is a reflection of himself and deep seeded issues that haven't had a proper outlet to be expressed. The only way he can do that is projecting into a subject that he familiar with.

But that doesn' solve the issue because the issue really his own problems of probably been cast off without given a chance, or he made a mistake and someone abandoned him. You can see why he is so vehement about that particular issue.

You just have to walk away, because the only person that can help them is themselves. Some serious reflection and introspection in where that trauma came from and start healing. Self love and self forgiveness and self acceptence so they can leg go. Otherwise it just repeats itself and lashes out to the outside world.
Good points and I respect u for that. Why I respect you is because you were prepared and educated on what you are saying. That fella didn’t have a clue and just wanted to vent. We have to many like that in our fan base

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Good points and I respect u for that. Why I respect you is because you were prepared and educated on what you are saying. That fella didn’t have a clue and just wanted to vent. We have to many like that in our fan base

I think we need an Oilers Anonymous group for those who have to vent like that rofl. Therapy group for Oilers fans hahaha :laugh:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The strangest thing about this off-season is that Holland was trying to go all in for a goalie last season with little cap, but not this season with tonnes of cap. Granted, he didn't have Smith locked in then.

The question is... did the mandate from the players to acquire a cup winning vet (Keith) prevent the team from getting a goalie.

What if instead we traded Jones for a pick and signed a cheaper guy like Murray.

Is this team better with Murray/Mrazek or Keith/Koskinen?
He was literally going for a goalie this off season though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad