Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Trade Deadline Thread 2.0, Trade Deadline 4/12 3PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Toronto spending all its picks.

I am not sure that this is the right year to go all in given the uncertainty of the covid, etc.

like they have not played any American teams. How can they be sure they are not going to get waxed?

They haven't made it to round 2 since 2004? A playoff round win would be a huge monkey off their back.

But furthermore, if the scary unknown is the 3rd round, you take your chance.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Man if Campbell goes down To is in a world of hurt. Rittich has been terrible. He has a super human performance here and there, but not many these days (years)

Campbell has been superb, but even his sample size is not big and it's against the North

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Dubas planning on sleeping in tomorrow. I hate Mondays too.

Why wait until the last minute? Less options left on the table at that point. Yeah you might get some bargain bin deals, but if the quality isn't there you're left choosing between crap and duds.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Oilers have 2 MVP top elite talents. Best player in the world. They have Nurse emerging as a #1.

We are trying to get support players here while some of our players cannot do dik all to help the big guys. Just wasting away.

I never understand this fettish with keeping a ton of draft picks when your window should be opening. What are they going to do during this window? When will we see most of or any of these players? in 4 years? 5 years?

I am not talking about going after some big rental. I am saying use picks/prospects, etc if you can land a solid supporting player.

It's insane that we have the top 2 scorers in this league for years, Nurse playing how he is now, etc, and a lot of people cry over DRAFT PICKS.
Take a look at the Oilers' current prospect cabinet and imagine how poor of a situation they'd be in moving forward if the team didn't prioritize draft and development.

Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Holloway, Lavoie, Benson, McLeod, Savoie, Tullio, Broberg, Bouchard, Samorukov, Skinner, Rodrigue.

All within the past five drafts. These prospects and young players will provide a significant amount of future depth and valuable trade capital over the next three to five seasons. If you're not continually adding to that list, your competitive window is shrinking.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If this is a "developmental year", then the Oilers should be selling their pending UFA's (Barrie) and playing younger players (Bouchard). At least that's a strategy.

Going into the playoffs and standing pat would be a mistake. I don't think that's what they're going to do even if the media thinks it's the right thing to do.
It's no more of a 'developmental year' than 2016-17 was when the Oilers were a goal from making the Conference Final.

Who brought more to the table last season? Athanasiou or Ennis?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Serious question but do ppl think that Hall will move the needle on this team? Maybe I am too much of a pessimist but I don’t think he really will.

If there was a dream scenario where we could package Neal with the first, I would do that because I would like to clear some cap without having to buy him out.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Big Sieve Dave in TO. Pleeeeeease let us watch the Leaves have no choice but to play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad