Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Slow days of summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I think I'd rather have Buff at his possible cost than Weber (yes I know who Weber is). I just think the assets spent for Weber would be too extreme imo. Either are unlikely though.

But I hold Buff higher than most probably do as I think when he is good and in shape, he's on Weber's level.

Higher than me, for sure. My impression is that Buff puts himself ahead of the team with undisciplined penalties, shows no commitment to system play and is generally out of shape.
He may or may not improve the oilers, but in no way is he ever on Weber's level. In my opinion anyway.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I was chocked when TO drafted Marner, becuae I hate the Leafs. The Yotes should have taken him, not sure what they were thinking. They got memorized by the big C and missed the 3rd best player in the draft.

I dunno... a big center who projects to be a top 6C? No surprise they selected him over Marner. Good centers are just so hard to find, you pretty much have to draft them. Plus they already have a bunch of good winger prospects.

And while Marner is likely going to be a very good player in the future, I do not think he's so much better that it makes sense to pass on a center like Strome.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
McQuaid is the defenceman Oilers need. He is nasty to play against. You can tell his strength when he took John Scott down fast. What a mentor he would be for Nurse and Reinhart + the other big defensive defenceman prospects Oilers have in the system.

Oilers are definitely in need of some more muscle in this lineup today.

I would fire up a blockbuster trade for him no problem.

I thought that's why they acquired Gryba ?? It's not like McQuaid is any better (or worse) of a player than Gryba is.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
McQuaid is another 5/6, maybe a #4 on Edmonton. Brings zero offence or puck moving ability. While he is not soft, he sure isn't real rough to play against. Seen him get knocked on his ass multiple times.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have to be honest, I'm very surprised Tomas Fleischmann doesn't have a contract, he's basically a #2 or 3 center on most teams in the NHL, easily a top-9 forward.

Someone is going to suffer an injury in camp and get a hell of nice replacement.

This free agent offseason has been one of the strangest in memory.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I have to be honest, I'm very surprised Tomas Fleischmann doesn't have a contract, he's basically a #2 or 3 center on most teams in the NHL, easily a top-9 forward.

Someone is going to suffer an injury in camp and get a hell of nice replacement.

This free agent offseason has been one of the strangest in memory.

It is strange.
Stranger still is that the Oilers don't need to clamor for another centre anymore. One hole filled.
Goaltending looks to be filled as we.

This is a nice change

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
True, that said I'm still not sure if I add RNH to that trade package right now. I would move Draisaitl ++ but not RNH.

Draisaitl + Fayne + '16 1st unprotected, is that enough?

Oh yeah Hopkins is a non starter, we can get a quality top pairing RHD without giving him up that's for sure. I said as much just a few pages back actually. You're offer is similar to mine. I said Draisaitl, Fayne, Simpson, 2 1st's if you really wanted to go all in. Weber should be effective till 40, he's that good, but effective might just mean a quality bottom 4 dman around the time he's 40. I think a player of his calibre is likely to be elite or close to it until 37ish so i wouldn't be too scared by the contract. In 7 years i have a feeling 7.8 million is going to be 2nd pairing money so the cap hit in the later years doesn't worry me too much either. In saying that Weber isn't the only guy out there and i'd might even prefer his teammate Jones just for the fact he'd fit in perfectly with the age and needs of our core, he may even be cheaper. Would you add a 1st or Fayne to Draisaitl for Jones? Personally i'd really like to keep Fayne but he's not untouchable either. I'd try to offer as much as Draisaitl, 1st, and a decent prospect. Of course we could just hope one of Johnson/Seabrook/Byfuglien becomes a UFA.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It is strange.
Stranger still is that the Oilers don't need to clamor for another centre anymore. One hole filled.
Goaltending looks to be filled as we.

This is a nice change

Though one of those defensemen at the right price would be nice...if there were space.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
NSH trading Weber makes less and less sense as time goes on.

1) The return probably gets significantly worse each year they hang onto him
2) Being a budget conscious team, almost done paying the $14 and $12m years, he becomes somewhat of a bargain in 3 years - and Nashville is exactly the kind of team that won't mind a higher cap hit lower salary player.

He's the face of that franchise - the only reason they would trade him is money, and they've almost paid out the bulk of it already. Might as well hang on to him now.

Weber is the face of the franchise, and that is apt because that is a team that lives off it's defense. As long as they are built this way, without game breakers up front and without a 1C, they won't have a good chance to win the cup with their current core. Maybe their ownership is happy with that, to make the playoffs and a decent amount of money each year. Maybe they want to try for more.

If they want a 1C, the only pieces they could trade for one are Jones or Weber. Otherwise, an opportunity has to fall into their laps. Most Nashville fans consider Jones to be the most untouchable piece on their team. So for sure, trading Weber as the face of the franchise would revolutionize that team, but maybe that's the point. They would immediately become a more balanced squad with a new identity.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I thought that's why they acquired Gryba ?? It's not like McQuaid is any better (or worse) of a player than Gryba is.

Very true. I just want one more physical player added to this team. I don't want people taking runs at McDavid or Talbot mainly. This team is very soft for a physical conference.

At the same time I believe we will see Reinhart and Davidson get a few games in this season which will be great.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Any hypothetical proposal for Weber would have to include at least 5 million dollars moving out of Edmonton.

The Oilers have around 2.8 in cap space and Weber's contract is about 7.8.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Any hypothetical proposal for Weber would have to include at least 5 million dollars moving out of Edmonton.

Acquiring Weber would all but seal the deal on one of Hall/RNH/Ebs being shipped out of town.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Not so sure? I'd say it goes without saying that we'd be better. Weber is unreal but the cost has to make sense, we don't need arguably the best dman in the world to fix our defense. Really we only truly need that top pairing RHD and we should be good long term.

I tend to agree.

There's no question Weber is better than Seabrook, one of the few RHD I think are clearly better. Trading Nugent-Hopkins and something for Weber creates a hole to address a hole, and I know people here are fond of counting their chickens with Draisaitl, but your top-two centres can't be an 18 year old rookie and a 20 year old sort-of sophomore.

Doesn't matter. Weber won't be moved.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I tend to agree.

There's no question Weber is better than Seabrook, one of the few RHD I think are clearly better. Trading Nugent-Hopkins and something for Weber creates a hole to address a hole, and I know people here are fond of counting their chickens with Draisaitl, but your top-two centres can't be an 18 year old rookie and a 20 year old sort-of sophomore.

Doesn't matter. Weber won't be moved.
Like someone said earlier Tomas Fleischmann is still available. #2C hole is a lot easier to fill than a #1D hole especially when Draisaitl is coming down the pipe line in a couple yrs.

For Weber I would be willing to trade Nurse + Draisaitl + Caleb Jones\pick without thinking twice. He is going to cost a lot if ever put on the market but EDM certainly has a lot of quality trade chips.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Like someone said earlier Tomas Fleischmann is still available. #2C hole is a lot easier to fill than a #1D hole especially when Draisaitl is coming down the pipe line in a couple yrs.

For Weber I would be willing to trade Nurse + Draisaitl + Caleb Jones\pick without thinking twice.
He is going to cost a lot if ever put on the market but EDM certainly has a lot of quality trade chips.

Well, that deal doesn't work cap-wise for the Oilers and I think they'll want something with NHL experience. Also think they'll do better than that from other teams. I was thinking more like RNH and a first round pick myself.

Thomas Fleischmann is not a top-six player or anything close to it at this stage. Not sure he'll even play.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

For Weber I would be willing to trade Nurse + Draisaitl + Caleb Jones\pick without thinking twice. He is going to cost a lot if ever put on the market but EDM certainly has a lot of quality trade chips.

Value wise this trade might be close, but practically speaking it would never work because the Oilers's cap wouldn't allow it. I'm in agreement with ChaoticOrange: Any trade for Weber would likely include one of Hall, RNH, or Eberle. You could imagine a trade where something like Yakupov+Draisaitl+Fayne/Schultz would work salary wise, but I'm not sure that it would grease the wheels of Nashville's GM. The Oilers do have a lot of valuable trade pieces; it would just be a matter of finding the right combination that works salary wise. Oh, and it would have to be remotely realistic that Weber is on the block, which is just a fantasy. But there's no harm in speculating!

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
At this stage in his career, I'm not interested in Weber for the cost both in terms of assets going to Nashville and his cap hit.

I'm still in favour of a Nurse for Shattenkirk type swap. But most people around here I think hate that idea.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

When was the last time Fleischmann actually played center? He's been playing as a winger for years now. I think you'd be looking at Roy if you wanted to sign a vet C at this point.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Oilers have a little less than 5.5 in cap space. Generalfanager has them with 2.8 but that's with 3 players too many on their roster.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
McQuaid is the defenceman Oilers need. He is nasty to play against. You can tell his strength when he took John Scott down fast. What a mentor he would be for Nurse and Reinhart + the other big defensive defenceman prospects Oilers have in the system.

Oilers are definitely in need of some more muscle in this lineup today.

I would fire up a blockbuster trade for him no problem.

Gryba is McQuaid

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If the Preds want RNH for Weber you make that deal in a heartbeat. This isn't about the team next season its about the team in 2-5years from now and what gives them the best chance to win. To me adding Weber makes us an almost lock to win a cup.

Team in 2-3 years:

Pouliot-Mcdavid-Eberle
Hall-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Lander-?
?-?-?

Sekera-Weber
Klefbom-Fayne
Nurse-Reinhart
?

Talbot
?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Oilers have a little less than 5.5 in cap space. Generalfanager has them with 2.8 but that's with 3 players too many on their roster.

But it does not include bonuses and McDavid is close to a lock to earn his full bonuses if he does not get hurt. Moreover, depending on who makes the team they may exceed the allowable bonus cushion so part of his bonus may become hard cap money anyway.

If need be they could clear space quickly though.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
At this stage in his career, I'm not interested in Weber for the cost both in terms of assets going to Nashville and his cap hit.

I'm still in favour of a Nurse for Shattenkirk type swap. But most people around here I think hate that idea.

I think Nurse is at least a Shattenkirk in 3-4 years. I dont overvalue guys often, but i think Nurse has the potential to be a top flight NHL All Star DMan. Please, lets not trade him as hes going to be a force once he matures and gets stronger.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Having put close to eight hours combined into three articles about the future cap situation, I can say without much doubt we can't add 8 million in committed salary for, what, 8 more years? without moving some out.

Unless you'd like an entire bottom six,bottom 4 defence, and both goalies on ELC's or league min in three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad