Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers shopping for 1LD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Vegas just sent a guy to the minors... (basically an unknown... Jonas Rondbjerg)... who was 18th on that team among forwards in TOI per game... averaging 10:12 per game in his 13 games... and he has 4 pts in those games.

So what?... you might say... well my point is that a team like Vegas gets decent production from a guy like that... scoring 2 goals and 2 assists in limited time and still sends them to the minors.

Oilers are definitely a tier below being able to compete with decent teams in terms of depth scoring (duh you'll all say... we already know that)... but I thought this one transaction was a good overview that really highlights how far ahead other teams are in terms of those 7-12 forwards.

Vegas withstood early season injuries and sure they didn't do that well to begin with... but I think with depth forwards being much better... they'd likely stumble to a playoff spot regardless even if injuries to key players continued all season.

Oilers lose both McDrai for any length of time and it's obviously all over rover... there isn't even a momentary question what happens to this team in that situation.
Yes everything you have said is obvious. Is the reason your deliniating this is to suggest that we vacation McDavid and/or Drais for the Xmas season in an experiment and bring up some extra prospects on defense and forward. Yes we dont have the depth....what is the path forward that you suggest?
Patience is a virtue.? Pick up one small fix before the deadline to give the boys hope this year and wait for depth? Or do you make a couple of bigger changes soon?

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
His last year in Pit he put up an .899 Save%, he's really fallen off a cliff.
I think there is an argument to be made that, outside of Hutton, he’s the worst goalie in the NHL. Injuries and a loss of confidence have derailed his Career. If this is the end at least he got his cup early.

I remember many people on here wanting to acquire him over Ottawa, even more so when they saw Ottawa didn’t have to give up much. Most people who watched that last season in Pitt pointed out some major red flags, obviously that he still hasn’t corrected

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I think there is an argument to be made that, outside of Hutton, he’s the worst goalie in the NHL. Injuries and a loss of confidence have derailed his Career. If this is the end at least he got his cup early.

I remember many people on here wanting to acquire him over Ottawa, even more so when they saw Ottawa didn’t have to give up much. Most people who watched that last season in Pitt pointed out some major red flags, obviously that he still hasn’t corrected
Ottawa gambled big that they could fix him and that there was a goalie there with great basics. It turned out to be a very bad gamble.
Edmonton's garage has very bad mechanics. Not something we should touch.
Holland likely sticks to his MO. He will wait till the off season ...go in big after a couple of starters but not quite pay the price and pick up an aging guy with good numbers from the past.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
I like the goalie chat. The boys could play a little harder for them, ya know tighten things up a bit. Missed out on the Markstrom prick.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we're going for a replacement goalie, I think Driedger should be the target. Especially if it's a deadline deal.

They'll have to make a decision on him by next year anyways because Daccord is waiver eligible.

I'd make two trades with Seattle this year. One more for Fleury and Jarnkrok. And the other at the deadline for Driedger.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If the Oilers had a trio of

Murray (1 mill cap hit)
Smith (2.2 mill cap hit)
Skinner (750k cap hit)

To call upon for cheap, I mean ... you could just ride which ever one has a hot hand at any given time.

Koskinen's salary then becomes valuable at the trade deadline because it allows for the Oilers to acquire a 4.5-9 million (if the other team retains) player at the deadline.
Murray hasn’t been good in any way shape or form in years

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006

This interview is a bit of a doozy. Someone posted it on the Seattle forum. They might need a bit of a shake up in the short term. I think Francis mismanaged his position at the expansion draft and didn't put a ton of guys that he selected in positions to succeed.

At this point he might be better off using some of these extra skaters to do the side deals he avoided at the draft.

Man, I can't believe he said that his career was trending up in Anaheim and "I'll leave it at that"; you gotta think he's already asked for a trade if you're going to say something like that

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Ottawa gambled big that they could fix him and that there was a goalie there with great basics. It turned out to be a very bad gamble.
Edmonton's garage has very bad mechanics. Not something we should touch.
Holland likely sticks to his MO. He will wait till the off season ...go in big after a couple of starters but not quite pay the price and pick up an aging guy with good numbers from the past.
I don’t see this happening at all. I think Skinner is getting a true audition the rest of the year, he’s been great to this point also. IMO it will be Skinner and veteran 1B next year if he can kee his play up.

Its not out of the realm of possibility we are talking about Skinner as the starter at seasons end this year.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I keep reading this. It’s just not true. You let me know when Bouchard starts scoring goals like this one.

So what? Bouchard is playing nearly two minutes a night more at 5v5, kills penalties, is putting up comparable numbers despite getting basically no PP time and is clearly the better all around player at this point already.

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Our first rounder this year should be closer to a high second, if there was ever a time to deal it it's this year.
For a rental?
I would trade it for Giroux, Lindholm or Hertl but Ben friggin Chiarot?

Also, isn't this supposedly one of the better drafts? A late 1st would be considered a mid first compared to previous drafts giving us a chance to draft someone better than Bourgault and Holloway

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
So what? Bouchard is playing nearly two minutes a night more at 5v5, kills penalties, is putting up comparable numbers despite getting basically no PP time and is clearly the better all around player at this point already.

I think Barrie has generally outplayed him since the Philadelphia game. Barrie and Bouchard were swapped again before Nurse's injury. Bouchard has had some really tough games in the last 3-4 weeks.

I do think Bouchard's play overall has made Barrie expendable this summer but it was bad hockey to count on it happening this past offseason. Barrie at 2 x 4.5 is movable for assets. The only way to look at what was done as a net negative is to think that Ethan Bear would still be here. He wouldn't. Maybe if Adam Larsson had stayed.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Why is HFOil always obsessed with picking up negative value goalies? Jesus christ. First it was Korpisalo, then it was Fleury, and now we're hitting a new low and wanting to pick up Matt Murray off waivers? It's not 2016 anymore.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Bouchard of course isnt there yet....but he is projectable. One way Barrie is on his way out. Berglund might replace him next year.
Holland probably finds out what Skinner can handle before he searches elsewhere.
Holland probably continues to stick to his plan. He rents a third pair LD and maybe brings in a upgrade to the fourth line RW with Turris and Perlini going their respective ways.
The goalie problem he will address in the off season. Likely he sees what he has in Holloway late this season but sends him back to AHL. Maybe Bourgault steals a job in training camp. Management Keeps its first.
If you scribble out the top 9 for next year with both Holloway and Bourgault (part time anyways) it becomes more obvious who will be used to fix the other problems. Maybe the second move is made after Xmas next year or January '23.
This year we should be top 8. Next year we should contend.
Depth is coming from within.
The solution is simple: Tyson Barrie to right wing, he has the speed and puck skills for it and it's much easier to shelter him as a 2nd line forward than as a defenseman. It would also serve as our "trade deadline top 6 forward acquisition", bump Yamamoto to the bottom 6, while simultaneously opening up room to get a low event 3rd pairing RHD like Pysyk or something. You can even keep Barrie on the 1st powerplay unit like this.
here is a quandrum for you fine gentleman

if rnh gets 3c duty down the stretch and playoffs----who is the ideal TDL winger/or if perchance in house winger?
Tyson Barrie.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If it's for the purpose of a buyout I would consider signing him to a 2 year deal on the cheap and bury him in Bako if he shits the bed here with us.

They can't buy him out right now. My guess is that they hope someone will take his contract off them. He makes more than his cap hit which is not something Ottawa typically likes.

A buyout costs them 66% of his money owed. They would save money (almost $5M) by dealing him now at 50% vs buying him out in the summer. They save almost $20M if someone claims him.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I'm not sold on all the anti Tipp and Holland stuff

For the first leg of the season they are doing fine---clearly they still need to adjust to playoffs--
they cant do that without players and goalies doing their thing---and they cant add players because Gary
No the reason we can't add players isn't because of Bettman it's because Holland has zero ability to manage assets and cap space. 2 2nd round picks for AA while other teams get Devon Toews/Pavel Buchnevich for comparable prices. Jones+2nd or 3rd (both tied up) for Keith when other teams get Keith esque contracts+2 2nds or a 1st for nothing. Ethan Bear for Warren Foegele when other teams get 1sts for Rasmus freaking Ristolainen? 5538462 on Keith. 3.2 mil on Zack Kassian (at least he's decent at hockey when he tries I guess). 9.25 mil on Nurse starting next year b/c Holland felt the need to bridge him to... UFA? Kyle Turris to an actual NHL contract. We also could've just not bought out Sekera, tanked the last 2 years of his contract, and not have an extra 1.5 mil in dead cap.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
No the reason we can't add players isn't because of Bettman it's because Holland has zero ability to manage assets and cap space. 2 2nd round picks for AA while other teams get Devon Toews/Pavel Buchnevich for comparable prices. Jones+2nd or 3rd (both tied up) for Keith when other teams get Keith esque contracts+2 2nds or a 1st for nothing. Ethan Bear for Warren Foegele when other teams get 1sts for Rasmus freaking Ristolainen? 5538462 on Keith. 3.2 mil on Zack Kassian (at least he's decent at hockey when he tries I guess). 9.25 mil on Nurse starting next year b/c Holland felt the need to bridge him to... UFA? Kyle Turris to an actual NHL contract. We also could've just not bought out Sekera, tanked the last 2 years of his contract, and not have an extra 1.5 mil in dead cap.

I guess--I just cant remember the last time the Oilers were able to "manage assets" like some of the other teams youve described.

Perron trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad