Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers shopping for 1LD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Fluery because then we have flexibility to make sure we can sign important expiring contracts after the season.

Getting Gibson would definitely make us lose one of Pulujujarvi or Bouchard.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Fluery because then we have flexibility to make sure we can sign important expiring contracts after the season.

Getting Gibson would definitely make us lose one of Pulujujarvi or Bouchard.
Well no for 2 reasons. 1. He doesn't cost that much, not even close. 2. The Contracts can be figured out in the offseason.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Mackenzie Blackwood plus one of Zacha/Wood make roughly 5.5 per. Blackwood is under contact next year and the wingers are RFA. Perfect package to throw Koskinen plus futures at because the players are not rentals and don’t break the bank like Gibson.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Fleury cause he'll come for pretty much Free (Hawks spent a 5th round floundering prospect on him) and has just as good a chance as Gibson to rebound back to form. And there's no guarantee that Gibson's top form is even better than Fleury's. Also, Gibson's "going rate" is LUDICROUS.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Would much rather have Gibson than fluery comparing them straight up.

Still think we need to give Skinner a good look this season to know whats up.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I threw a bunch of the highest correlative stats from data for the 62 goalies that played the most NHL minutes over the past 2 seasons... MDGAA, MDSV%, SV%, GAA and goals saved above expected (so 5 different stats) and accounted for the different levels of correlation strength to future GA/60 for goalies and this is the final ranks of the top current NHL goalies that this correlative method predicts (keeping in mind of course that at these correlation levels... they can only predict at best about 29% of future performance)...

Here's how the ranks shake out:

1Chris Driedger
2Semyon Varlamov
3Pavel Francouz
4Tuukka Rask
5Anton Khudobin
6Juuse Saros
7Connor Hellebuyck
8Ben Bishop
9Robin Lehner
10Jake Allen
11Philipp Grubauer
12Andrei Vasilevskiy
13Jack Campbell
14Darcy Kuemper
15James Reimer
16Marc-Andre Fleury
17Tristan Jarry
18Petr Mrazek
19Antti Raanta
20Jaroslav Halak
21Linus Ullmark
22Jordan Binnington
23Igor Shesterkin
24Thomas Greiss
25Ilya Samsonov
26Elvis Merzlikins
27Vitek Vanecek
28Corey Crawford
29Thatcher Demko
30Cam Talbot
31Jonathan Bernier
32Laurent Brossoit
33Jacob Markstrom
34Malcolm Subban
35Mike Smith
36Mackenzie Blackwood
37Cal Petersen
38Kevin Lankinen
39Alex Stalock
40Jonathan Quick
41Carey Price
42Mikko Koskinen
43Frederik Andersen
44Carter Hart
45John Gibson
46Alexandar Georgiev
47Joonas Korpisalo
48Sergei Bobrovsky
49Brian Elliott
50Braden Holtby
51David Rittich
52Carter Hutton
53Martin Jones
54Kaapo Kahkonen
55Aaron Dell
56Pekka Rinne
57Curtis McElhinney
58Craig Anderson
59Ryan Miller
60Matt Murray
61Marcus Hogberg
62Devan Dubnyk
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So again that's the 62 goalies who played the most minutes who had the best combined stats in those most highly correlated stats to future GA/60 for goalies. This is only good at predicting anywhere from ~20% to 29% of future performance but I thought I'd throw it out there out of curiosity.

The other 70-80% of future performance comes from other factors that can't be readily predicted by looking at past stats... so basically "seen him good" still has some value as well as other forms of analysis that are outside of statistical AND visual analysis... ie what other players the goalies play with (and against) will do in the next 2 seasons as well as injuries, regressions, aging etc etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNumber4

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
@McSuper

You smart
Me dumb

Don’t know what I was thinking……….that whole he’s not under contract come summer thing

My apologies sir

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
I threw a bunch of the highest correlative stats from data for the 62 goalies that played the most NHL minutes over the past 2 seasons... MDGAA, MDSV%, SV%, GAA and goals saved above expected (so 5 different stats) and accounted for the different levels of correlation strength to future GA/60 for goalies and this is the final ranks of the top current NHL goalies that this correlative method predicts (keeping in mind of course that at these correlation levels... they can only predict at best about 29% of future performance)...

Here's how the ranks shake out:

1Chris Driedger
2Semyon Varlamov
3Pavel Francouz
4Tuukka Rask
5Anton Khudobin
6Juuse Saros
7Connor Hellebuyck
8Ben Bishop
9Robin Lehner
10Jake Allen
11Philipp Grubauer
12Andrei Vasilevskiy
13Jack Campbell
14Darcy Kuemper
15James Reimer
16Marc-Andre Fleury
17Tristan Jarry
18Petr Mrazek
19Antti Raanta
20Jaroslav Halak
21Linus Ullmark
22Jordan Binnington
23Igor Shesterkin
24Thomas Greiss
25Ilya Samsonov
26Elvis Merzlikins
27Vitek Vanecek
28Corey Crawford
29Thatcher Demko
30Cam Talbot
31Jonathan Bernier
32Laurent Brossoit
33Jacob Markstrom
34Malcolm Subban
35Mike Smith
36Mackenzie Blackwood
37Cal Petersen
38Kevin Lankinen
39Alex Stalock
40Jonathan Quick
41Carey Price
42Mikko Koskinen
43Frederik Andersen
44Carter Hart
45John Gibson
46Alexandar Georgiev
47Joonas Korpisalo
48Sergei Bobrovsky
49Brian Elliott
50Braden Holtby
51David Rittich
52Carter Hutton
53Martin Jones
54Kaapo Kahkonen
55Aaron Dell
56Pekka Rinne
57Curtis McElhinney
58Craig Anderson
59Ryan Miller
60Matt Murray
61Marcus Hogberg
62Devan Dubnyk
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So again that's the 62 goalies who played the most minutes who had the best combined stats in those most highly correlated stats to future GA/60 for goalies. This is only good at predicting anywhere from ~20% to 29% of future performance but I thought I'd throw it out there out of curiosity.

The other 70-80% of future performance comes from other factors that can't be readily predicted by looking at past stats... so basically "seen him good" still has some value as well as other forms of analysis that are outside of statistical AND visual analysis... ie what other players the goalies play with (and against) will do in the next 2 seasons as well as injuries, regressions, aging etc etc.

I think this is a classic case of stats not telling the whole story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oh look, MAF puts up a .955 save percentage with 40+ shots against with a new coach.

Whodathunkit.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, I’m sure a 1 game sample size is enough to decide on.

was the old coach telling him to not stop the puck?

As opposed to writing on the reigning Vezina Trophy winner and 3 time Cup champion because of 8 games?

The old coach sucked balls.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And his 2 years before that were mediocre behind a very good team defensively

18-19 season was fine. MAF can elevate his play in the playoffs, Koskinen ... no chance, he doesn't have that tier.

Guys like Price and MAF do. Price had a mediocre regular season, several of them actually, but put the guy in the playoffs he's been able to drag the Habs to several playoff round wins.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
18-19 season was fine. MAF can elevate his play in the playoffs, Koskinen ... no chance, he doesn't have that tier.

Guys like Price and MAF do. Price had a mediocre regular season, several of them actually, but put the guy in the playoffs he's been able to drag the Habs to several playoff round wins.
MAF has elevated himself in the playoffs 4/18 seasons.

he’s much more likely to let your team down in the playoffs than he is to carry them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad