Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers shopping for 1LD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
MAF has elevated himself in the playoffs 4/18 seasons.

he’s much more likely to let your team down in the playoffs than he is to carry them

I think people forget that MAF lost the net to Murray. Penguins also left him exposed instead. I think he’s probably better than Koskinen but he has had some awful meltdowns as well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
MAF has 4 playoff years worse than koskinen and 2 around the same.

If you're going back like 9 years.

7/8 years MAF has better than Koskinen's mediocre numbers in the Chicago play in.

Anyone who would chose Koskinen over MAF in a playoff round is a moron, plain and simple.

Reactions: MuzzaFuzza

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is there anything linking Blackwood and the potential of a trade? He's in Carter Hart territory. New Jersey should have no interest in moving him.

Reactions: Staghorn

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My suggestion would be to hope like hell the Leafs have a bad season and Jack Campbell is available at the deadline.

The guy is literally Roloson 2.0

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
As per DNB on The Athletic:

“What I believe: The Oilers will upgrade their top nine before the trade deadline.
This is the best top three lines Edmonton has had in years. Many, many years. The coaching staff can load up the top line with Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, and Jesse Puljujarvibecause Zach Hyman gives Ryan Nugent-Hopkins a legitimate linemate to round out the second line. Draisaitl can also centre a second trio and move up with McDavid after penalty kills and late in periods and games, too. The third line started off strong before experiencing a dip over the last few outings. The Oilers are now being outscored with Warren Foegele, Derek Ryan, and Zack Kassian on the ice at five-on-five. There has been, and could still be, an effective grouping there, even if Kassian and Kailer Yamamoto are expected to be flipped for Tuesday’s game in Detroit.

So, what’s the problem? At worst, they could use more depth in the event of injury or underperformance down the stretch. An upgrade is another way of thinking.

Yamamoto is a useful player — an effective forechecker and penalty killer. He has two goals in his last three games, but that came after a horrendous goal-scoring slump last season and in the playoffs. Derek Ryan mostly skated as fourth-centre last season in Calgary. Both Yamamoto and Ryan make just over $1 million against the cap, so they represent the types of players who could be pushed down the lineup or moved out if needed.

What I know: Aside from in net, and possibly a depth blueliner, this is the target area management wants to address.

This comes from an industry source. Again, replacing Yamamoto is in the top six is the most obvious play. Though he’s only 23 and a recent first-round pick (2017), the offensive output hasn’t been good enough. Then there’s that whole issue of the Oilers being in a salary-cap crunch and Yamamoto and Puljujarvi needing new contracts. If they have to prioritize one, the smart money is on the bigger and more productive Puljujarvi.

Now, there’s a possibility Dylan Holloway and Ryan McLeod can establish themselves as difference-makers by the deadline. (McLeod was called up Monday because Devin Shore is out four-to-six weeks with a lower-body injury.) Holloway could play second-line left wing and move Hyman over to the right side. McLeod could battle Ryan for No. 3 centre or at least provide more depth and push Shore over to the port side. Otherwise, the Oilers might need some reinforcements.”

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Deadline deals

Barrie + Benson for
Giordano @50% retained

Mark Pysyk for EDM 3rd

Yamamoto + Koskinen + EDM 2nd
for
Strome (extended 1 year 3 mill but 50% retained) + MAF @50% retained

Post deadline lineup

Strome McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Hyman
Foegele Ryan Kassian
Perlini Shore Archibald

Nurse Bouchard
Giordano Ceci
Keith Pysyk

MAF
Smith
Skinner

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

“What I believe: The Oilers will upgrade their top nine before the trade deadline.
This is the best top three lines Edmonton has had in years. Many, many years. The coaching staff can load up the top line with Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, and Jesse Puljujarvibecause Zach Hyman gives Ryan Nugent-Hopkins a legitimate linemate to round out the second line. Draisaitl can also centre a second trio and move up with McDavid after penalty kills and late in periods and games, too. The third line started off strong before experiencing a dip over the last few outings. The Oilers are now being outscored with Warren Foegele, Derek Ryan, and Zack Kassian on the ice at five-on-five. There has been, and could still be, an effective grouping there, even if Kassian and Kailer Yamamoto are expected to be flipped for Tuesday’s game in Detroit.

So, what’s the problem? At worst, they could use more depth in the event of injury or underperformance down the stretch. An upgrade is another way of thinking.

Yamamoto is a useful player — an effective forechecker and penalty killer. He has two goals in his last three games, but that came after a horrendous goal-scoring slump last season and in the playoffs. Derek Ryan mostly skated as fourth-centre last season in Calgary. Both Yamamoto and Ryan make just over $1 million against the cap, so they represent the types of players who could be pushed down the lineup or moved out if needed.

What I know: Aside from in net, and possibly a depth blueliner, this is the target area management wants to address.

This comes from an industry source. Again, replacing Yamamoto is in the top six is the most obvious play. Though he’s only 23 and a recent first-round pick (2017), the offensive output hasn’t been good enough. Then there’s that whole issue of the Oilers being in a salary-cap crunch and Yamamoto and Puljujarvi needing new contracts. If they have to prioritize one, the smart money is on the bigger and more productive Puljujarvi.

Now, there’s a possibility Dylan Holloway and Ryan McLeod can establish themselves as difference-makers by the deadline. (McLeod was called up Monday because Devin Shore is out four-to-six weeks with a lower-body injury.) Holloway could play second-line left wing and move Hyman over to the right side. McLeod could battle Ryan for No. 3 centre or at least provide more depth and push Shore over to the port side. Otherwise, the Oilers might need some reinforcements.”
Holland sees the same needs as everyone else, so that's good. Let's see what he has planned.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

So goalie, top 9, and another d-man. All in-season after the most active off-season in a very long time. That’s gonna be costly and risky. Also, Holland at the trade deadline and pro scouting does not garner lots of confidence.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
How about Kravstov from Rangers? Big, skilled, fast, and plays RW. What's the ask?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rumor: - Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers Looking at Lawson Crouse?

last one blew through 100o posts awhile ago and since the latest talk is about goalies--new thread time

Question for Oiler fans

Fluery or Gibson. Who would you rather have?
Doubt either of these guys are actually available anytime soon. CHI just fired their coach. ANA is doing better than expected and just placed their GM on leave.

If ANA can keep playing well up until the trade deadline I don't see any reason they look at moving Gibson

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Doubt either of these guys are actually available anytime soon. CHI just fired their coach. ANA is doing better than expected and just placed their GM on leave.

If ANA can keep playing well up until the trade deadline I don't see any reason they look at moving Gibson
Which is why I circle back to Varlamov, he's an expensive backup at $5M, and they could use all the cap space they could get. There's a way to make this deal with a 3rd party.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Which is why I circle back to Varlamov, he's an expensive backup at $5M, and they could use all the cap space they could get. There's a way to make this deal with a 3rd party.
I really don't know what the options are going to be.

Maybe Jake Allen, although who knows what Price's long-term situation is going to be.

Pittsburgh seems to always be looking at moving Jarry and they aren't doing well, but he is. So is he someone that gets moved anymore?

Matt Murray is probably available, but he just sucks and that contract is no good.

Dallas has too many goalies, but I don't think Khudobin is the answer. Holtby could be a guy that might be worth a pickup closer to deadline.

Craig Anderson was playing well, but will it last?

Samsonov could be someone as well that becomes available, but I really question if he'll ever live up to the hype. Seems to have some character flaws that aren't helping him make that next step.

Beyond that I haven't looked, but maybe there is a newer young guy that is going to make someone expendable?

I honestly think our best hope for the long-term is that Skinner can continue to develop.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
You can stop with Mac black devils are absolutely not giving him up

the cheapest and best option that I’m hoping for you guys to get is snagging karel Vejmelka from Arizona

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You can stop with Mac black devils are absolutely not giving him up

the cheapest and best option that I’m hoping for you guys to get is snagging karel Vejmelka from Arizona
I just don't see why they move him.

His value right now isn't going to be that high and who knows what else actually develops for them in net.

At some point they have to start keeping some guys. Continuing to make their team worse is just going to have far too much damage.

I'd suggest Koskinen and a pick for him, as that would probably be not bad for them with regards to some stability. However, I highly doubt Koskinen is waiving to go to Arizona.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

His value right now isn't going to be that high and who knows what else actually develops for them in net.

At some point they have to start keeping some guys. Continuing to make their team worse is just going to have far too much damage.

I'd suggest Koskinen and a pick for him, as that would probably be not bad for them with regards to some stability. However, I highly doubt Koskinen is waiving to go to Arizona.
I disagree, they won't win, but he's smart enough to know the weather is nice there and he would probably be moved at the deadline, plus a no risk starting job in Arizona is more likely to lead to a contract as a starter somewhere, that won't happen if he finishes in Edmonton as the 2 or 3 goalie.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

That trade makes no sense IMO but that deal could be made despite the NTC as the Oilers could waive him with a handshake agreement that Arizona take him off waivers.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
How about Kravstov from Rangers? Big, skilled, fast, and plays RW. What's the ask?

He’d be a stud. Unfortunately it looks like he and the Rags are going to try the Pulju method and just take a break, circle back later.
That being said, if he’s still on the block, try floating McLeod and a second. They’re pretty thin on C prospects.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad