Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "Monkey Wrench"

Status
Not open for further replies.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
is Blackwood worth the gamble? I know his play has suffered but given his age, cap and the team he plays for, I wonder if a change of scenery is what’s needed.

New Jersey needs a goalie and Binnington is being shopped around. Wonder if a 3 way trade sending Blackwood to Edmonton, Binny to New Jersey and M.Smith + prospects/picks + cap relief this off season to extend Husso for the Blues would work.

Chance of this happening is 0, just thought it would be interesting :laugh:

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Would like to see: Barrie and Archibald for Soucy and Appleton

Lagesson and 2023 4th round pick for Robert Hagg

2023 3rd for Nick Paul

Nurse Ceci
Keith Soucy
Hagg Bouchard
Russell

Kane 97 Yamo
Hyman 29 Jesse
Foegele Nuge Kassian
Paul McLeod Ryan
Appleton Shore

Appleton and Paul can both also play C.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
It'd be a great trade deadline deal to move Smith and his extra contract year for me.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I still want John Gibson.
the problem there is that Anaheim is one of many non-playoff teams that want to jump right back into it. They have some great young players. They have some great win-now players as well like Fowler.

However, what makes this interesting is Lindholm leaving, and to a lesser extent Manson and Rakell.

I'd say that IF Anaheim management is looking a few years ahead now, there might be an opportunity. However, they would have an overwhelming preference to trade him out East. Manson did stay out west but he's lower profile.

And then there's the risk factor. When you ignore an important position like goaltending you have an uncomfortable risk to take. It's better to care about the position enough to have a healthy rotation of interesting FAs and prospects, which our org does not do even a little bit (I thought that changed with adding Forsberg but that was a mirage). Let a starter emerge who gels with the team and ascends. Like wow, look what teams like Washington and Toronto do. It's such a healthy and active ongoing competition.

If you go from a failing organization at goaltending like ours, and want to leapfrog ahead by adding Gibson, you have to pay through the nose in assets, and Gibson might not even mesh with us because he was not part of a healthy competition for the job within the org. It might be an awkward start like how Calgary slapped in Markstrom, and there's no guarantee that Gibson would eventually mesh. Heck, there are many outside fans who even doubt if Gibson is truly great anymore, as his stats have slumped as a result of the Ducks slumping. I believe Gibson would be an amazing add, but it could end up badly.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It'd be a great trade deadline deal to move Smith and his extra contract year for me.
This is a case where it depends on info that Holland has. If Smith and Holland have a handshake understanding that Smith collects his cash on the LTIR next season, then spending assets to move him doesn't make sense. But I agree that if that isn't understood, then yeah I love the idea especially if it's done as part of another move that sends another player here

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Should have traded for Manson even if the cost was a 1st + salary

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
1 Skinner

2 Mrazek (bounce back candidate)
3 Quick
4 Binnington
5 Grubauer (another bounce back candidate)
6 Hart

7 Koskinen

8 Gibson
9 Blackwood

10 Mike Smith

11 Murray

That's how I'd rank those 8 in comparison to what the Oilers already have.

Skinner is better than all those choices though since he's already on the team and costs nothing in assets to retain.

I'd actually target either Stolarz or Driedger if they are available as I think both those goalies are good youngish goalies capable of becoming starters (even though Driedger is having a poor season this year).

Going forward with Skinner-Stolarz would be a great young duo imo.
Skinner is only better due to cost and really that’s it

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Would like to see: Barrie and Archibald for Soucy and Appleton

Lagesson and 2023 4th round pick for Robert Hagg

2023 3rd for Nick Paul

Nurse Ceci
Keith Soucy
Hagg Bouchard
Russell

Kane 97 Yamo
Hyman 29 Jesse
Foegele Nuge Kassian
Paul McLeod Ryan
Appleton Shore

Appleton and Paul can both also play C.

If they go with Soucy-Ceci pair and rehire Kevin Quinn everything will fall into place.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Kane - McDavid - Yamamoto
Hyman - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Holloway - RNH - McLeod
Foegele - Paul - Ryan

Nurse - Bouchard
Soucy - Ceci
Keith - Barrie

Not sure how to swing this, but Paul and Soucy would be awesome deadline acquisitions.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
is Blackwood worth the gamble? I know his play has suffered but given his age, cap and the team he plays for, I wonder if a change of scenery is what’s needed.

New Jersey needs a goalie and Binnington is being shopped around. Wonder if a 3 way trade sending Blackwood to Edmonton, Binny to New Jersey and M.Smith + prospects/picks + cap relief this off season to extend Husso for the Blues would work.

Chance of this happening is 0, just thought it would be interesting :laugh:
Blackwood has such a low cap hit that he would be a great option as a 1B. I wouldnt overpay for him but if you could move Smith out and bring Blackwood in that would be a great move. You can try him as a starter next season if we dont have the cap or still use him as a backup if we do.

Reactions: McIce Whole

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Kane - McDavid - Yamamoto
Hyman - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Holloway - RNH - McLeod
Foegele - Paul - Ryan

Nurse - Bouchard
Soucy - Ceci
Keith - Barrie

Not sure how to swing this, but Paul and Soucy would be awesome deadline acquisitions.
Seems to be lots of smoke from Edmonton media about Soucy and Paul. Someone posted they heard one of them say to expect Holland to pull the trigger on Sunday, not Monday. Makes sense considering they play in Colorado Monday night so that gives acquired players a day to get there and be in the lineup.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Blackwood has been on the IR since late January. Looking into it, he had offseason heel surgery and is out with a heel injury right now. I'm not sure if he injured the repaired one or if it's the other one. I'd stay away from him for the time being. He doesn't help the team any being on the IR.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Blackwood has been on the IR since late January. Looking into it, he had offseason heel surgery and is out with a heel injury right now. I'm not sure if he injured the repaired one or if it's the other one. I'd stay away from him for the time being. He doesn't help the team any being on the IR.

Perfect time to get him. Put him on LTIR with no cap implications and is a RFA got 2 years with arb rights. If hes available at the start of the post season that's just an added bonus.

Reactions: yakcity1064

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
the problem there is that Anaheim is one of many non-playoff teams that want to jump right back into it. They have some great young players. They have some great win-now players as well like Fowler.

However, what makes this interesting is Lindholm leaving, and to a lesser extent Manson and Rakell.

I'd say that IF Anaheim management is looking a few years ahead now, there might be an opportunity. However, they would have an overwhelming preference to trade him out East. Manson did stay out west but he's lower profile.

And then there's the risk factor. When you ignore an important position like goaltending you have an uncomfortable risk to take. It's better to care about the position enough to have a healthy rotation of interesting FAs and prospects, which our org does not do even a little bit (I thought that changed with adding Forsberg but that was a mirage). Let a starter emerge who gels with the team and ascends. Like wow, look what teams like Washington and Toronto do. It's such a healthy and active ongoing competition.

If you go from a failing organization at goaltending like ours, and want to leapfrog ahead by adding Gibson, you have to pay through the nose in assets, and Gibson might not even mesh with us because he was not part of a healthy competition for the job within the org. It might be an awkward start like how Calgary slapped in Markstrom, and there's no guarantee that Gibson would eventually mesh. Heck, there are many outside fans who even doubt if Gibson is truly great anymore, as his stats have slumped as a result of the Ducks slumping. I believe Gibson would be an amazing add, but it could end up badly.
Gibson would have to want out. Which I think he will if they lose lindholm. He’s been there a long time I don’t think he wants to wait around for a rebuild.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Theres no way Holland could make a trade like that happen. We have to accept that we are Oiler fans and our destiny is to suffer
To obtain Gibson our cost would be so high we wouldn't either make playoff or not get past the 1st round.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If the Leafs end up swinging a deal for one of the big fish like Lindholm or Giordano, I wouldn't mind bringing in McDavid's buddy, Dermott, for the third pairing.

I think he'd be a smarter pickup than Soucy.

Reactions: McDoused

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Gibson would have to want out. Which I think he will if lose lindholm. He’s been there a long time I don’t think he wants to wait around for a rebuild.
There have been some high profile cases of players demanding a trade lately, Debrusk and Tarasenko, and the team did not do it. Perhaps they tried, but they can always tell the player that they didn't agree with the return, and the best thing you can do is play great and boost your value. If Anaheim thinks they can retool instead of rebuild, they might just force Gibson to stay. At least, I'd think they might wait until the summer. You never know. Maybe they can finish the season strong, made a couple adds in the summer, and be competitive again. There's so much unknown right now.

Reactions: belair

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To obtain Gibson our cost would be so high we wouldn't either make playoff or not get past the 1st round.
I disagree. We have a stocked cupboard of assets that aren't NHL assets. The trade would be something like Skinner, Holloway, and draft picks. Although we would have to make room, so perhaps Koskinen or Smith going the other way, and maybe Archibald and Kassian.

Reactions: McDoused

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If the Leafs end up swinging a deal for one of the big fish like Lindholm or Giordano, I wouldn't mind bringing in McDavid's buddy, Dermott, for the third pairing.

I think he'd be a smarter pickup than Soucy.
I was thinking about that, too. I don't know a lot about his game though. Early on he had some upside, but they went out and got Muzzin and his opportunities became limited.

That's an option that's closer to being free. Soucy will cost you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad