Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Last Call to Shed Cap Before Free Agent Frenzy, Neal & Koskinen Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Under absolutely no circumstances can we have Smith/Koskinen as our 2 goalies heading into next year… NONE

Stauffer seems to think it's a very real possibility. Kind of sketched out about it. Every team that went far into the playoffs had a solid reliable goalie that you could depend on for key saves. We can't even trust koskinen to save the first shot. I know people will say "goalies are hard to come by" but this is our first year with actual cap space in a long time, if Holland comes back with the same two goalies we can probably make the playoffs but we can't assume we will outscore all our problems. Sure Smith was great last year but you never know with goalies his age, plus he got hurt last year, and even if he plays well but then gets hurt what are we gonna do?

Reactions: Faelko

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com

Stauffer seems to think it's a very real possibility. Kind of sketched out about it. Every team that went far into the playoffs had a solid reliable goalie that you could depend on for key saves. We can't even trust koskinen to save the first shot. I know people will say "goalies are hard to come by" but this is our first year with actual cap space in a long time, if Holland comes back with the same two goalies we can probably make the playoffs but we can't assume we will outscore all our problems. Sure Smith was great last year but you never know with goalies his age, plus he got hurt last year, and even if he plays well but then gets hurt what are we gonna do?

And unfortunately Koskinen seemed like he lost all confidence as the season progressed. The team couldn't trust him, several people on here have commented at how scared the team looked in front of him. Also we have to replace Larsson and also Bear shouldn't be in the top 4 yet, he is still developing. Crucial free agency period.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

I pray that it’s a PR thing to downplay that they are looking to replace Koskinen to a) underpromise and over deliver for the fanbase or b) for leverage purposes in a potential trade or signing

Holland said he doesn’t expect Mike Smith to start as many games this season. If Koskinen is still here, good f***ing luck with that

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I pray that it’s a PR thing to downplay that they are looking to replace Koskinen to a) underpromise and over deliver for the fanbase or b) for leverage purposes in a potential trade or signing

Holland said he doesn’t expect Mike Smith to start as many games this season. If Koskinen is still here, good f***ing luck with that

If we do start with that duo, let's hope that it is remedied by the trade deadline.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holland should tender his resignation come Aug.15th if he still has Smith-Koskinen as his tandem.

3 summers of work and $5 million/year for a GM who is nothing but Tambellini gifted McDavid + Draisaitl? GTFO.

Get something reasonable done. Enough is enough.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
The “reading between the lines” impression I got from that video is they might be planning to spend more on the RD they’re bringing in than they planned to spend on Larsson. They kept bringing up how important it was and how Larsson leaving may have changed plans with goaltending. Not sure what exactly that would mean. Maybe I’m reading too much into it

We’ll find out soon enough

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
The Hockey Guy on YouTube was saying Oilers might be offering Nick Foligno a 4 year deal. :ha:

Minnesota, Columbus, Toronto and Edmonton are interested in him.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
The Hockey Guy on YouTube was saying Oilers might be offering Nick Foligno a 4 year deal. :ha:

Minnesota, Columbus, Toronto and Edmonton are interested in him.

Maybe he saw that same fake Pagnotta tweet

Makes 0 sense to overpay for Foligno

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Donato/Ritchie/Suter would be a good way to revamp the bottom 6.

Could they get all 3 for ~$6 million cap?

I'd re-sign Kahun for cheap as well as I think he has a bounce back year.

Haula would be a good pick up as well.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Donato/Ritchie/Suter would be a good way to revamp the bottom 6.

Could they get all 3 for ~$6 million cap?

I'd re-sign Kahun for cheap as well as I think he has a bounce back year.

Haula would be a good pick up as well.
Lots of time for Donato. He would be a great add.

Edmoiler13

Feb 21, 2014
Detroit
Suter would be a great add as he's like a swiss army knife and played well regardless of where he was in Chicago's lineup. Ritchie would be a nice add as well, especially on the PP

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Seravalli on the DFO podcast was saying Edmonton could get Barrie at $5.25M x 3/$5M x 4/$6M x 2.

I think he's going to get some better offers tomorrow. Nashville comes to mind after moving Ellis. Barrie could man their PP1 with left shooting Josi. That had the 23rd ranked PP % last season. Calgary was 21st, NJ 29th. Could see both of those clubs having some interest too. I just think other teams will need him more and he'll get a 4 x 5M deal from one of them. Focus on defensive improvement and replacing Larsson. Bouchard on our PP1 will do just fine. Nurse, Bear and Keith can take some minutes too.

Reactions: Cypress

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Ullmark: 3 consecutive seasons of winning more than he has lost...in Buffalo!!!

.912 career SVP...in Buffalo!!! Identical to Smith btw, and better than Mrazek's .910. Jacob Markstrom has a career .910 too.

About to turn 29. 6-4, 215 lbs. Some injury concern (like Raanta, Bishop, Kuemper, Mrazek...), but a guy who can play a lot when healthy.

He's looking for 5 x 5M. His options will be few, the cellar dwelling Buffalo Sabres being one. Maybe Colorado considers him if Grubauer is asking for the moon...

I'd certainly get in there with 4-5 yr offers around 4.5-5M AAV. Buffalo will probably offer more term and $, so it will come down to whether he wants a chance to win something. Colorado would be the only better spot than Edmonton in that regard.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
RD has become a priority. I am not sure about Barrie as he seems to bring the same thing we hope Bouchard does. A trio of Bouchard, Barrie, and Bear is fairly one dimensional.

Some UFA targets I would be happy with are Hamonic, Ceci, Hakapaan, or Vatanen. All were in the top 10 of TOI/gm for the ufa options this summer

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If Holland goes big... trades one if Koski/Neal and buys out the other.

If he gets a 1a goalie, Barrie, Hamonik or Murray, Hyman and a 3C... will you be happy with his off season?

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Holland should tender his resignation come Aug.15th if he still has Smith-Koskinen as his tandem.

3 summers of work and $5 million/year for a GM who is nothing but Tambellini gifted McDavid + Draisaitl? GTFO.

Get something reasonable done. Enough is enough.
Yeah gave him some slack due to no cap space and thin roster he inherited but this is a do or die offseason for him imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad