Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "JJ" - Jokinen signed. Any further moves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We don't have the money to keep RNH, and I'm not confident he'll have that great of a season because McLellan is too stupid to play him with McDavid.

We're screwed with his contract, he has to go. Honestly we need to hope Strome has a average season too because we can't afford him at 6 per if he has like a 55-60 point season.

It's just sad.
Based on Strome's prior two seasons, even if he put up 55-60 points I don't think he can command $6M per, too far removed from draft potential and you can point to his one 50 point season followed by two 30-ish point seasons and say he is too inconsistent. We can likely force a bridge deal on him, if he doesn't want to do that we just abuse the fact that he is an RFA, qualify him and let him sit. I also don't think he is the type of player to draw a significant offer sheet off of one strong year and if he does I'd likely just take the picks.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If Nurse gets 4M he will be a top4 dmen, so We can cut one of the others loose to free up cap space to sign Talbot to a extension.

If Pulju pans out, we can move RNH, problem solved.

No contending teams get to keep all their players every year. Life of being sucessful. Im more excited to have 2 top 10 scorers on our team for the next decade. Wow cant actually believe how lucky we are.

This. So much this.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom and Larsson. Our core for a while. Other pieces will come and go. We always contend with that core.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A year ago most people would be howling in laughter at Draisaitl for 8 ... Oiler fans always on this board underestimate the actual cost for many of these players. Even my estimates which usually get called out for being "too high" end up being far lower than the actual numbers.

I remember I have Leon at 7 a few months ago and fans were saying "no way, what has he done to earn 7?! It will be lower than that, relax".

There is also a substantial gap between a player who posts back to back successful offensive campaigns and two inexperienced depth players.

Fans on this board have a tendency to overestimate certain players' actual abilities.

If these guys play as well as these expected contracts are suggesting, the team is in a far better position than you're alluding to.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Based on Strome's prior two seasons, even if he put up 55-60 points I don't think he can command $6M per, too far removed from draft potential and you can point to his one 50 point season followed by two 30-ish point seasons and say he is too inconsistent. We can likely force a bridge deal on him, if he doesn't want to do that we just abuse the fact that he is an RFA, qualify him and let him sit. I also don't think he is the type of player to draw a significant offer sheet off of one strong year and if he does I'd likely just take the picks.

I think the days of $2.5-$3 mill budget RFA deals are over. You're talking about $4-$5 million now for these guys being the "cheap rung" and in part the McDavid/Draisaitl deals are going to push things up for everyone.

What will probably happen is there will be a certain bunch of UFA players every summer that have to sign on cheap "show me" deals, the Oilers will have to hope so anyway.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I think the days of $2.5-$3 mill budget RFA deals are over. You're talking about $4-$5 million now for these guys being the "cheap rung" and in part the McDavid/Draisaitl deals are going to push things up for everyone.

What will probably happen is there will be a certain bunch of UFA players every summer that have to sign on cheap "show me" deals, the Oilers will have to hope so anyway.

RFA's normally dont finish #1 in scoring, and #10 in scoring.

We have 2 special players, that drug a 29th place team to within 1 win of the WFC in one year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RFA's normally dont finish #1 in scoring, and #10 in scoring.

We have 2 special players, that drug a 29th place team to within 1 win of the WFC in one year.

The salary cap doesn't really care about that, it is what it is and it isn't going anywhere.

We're going to see league wide escalation in salary I think it's inevitable. Guys are not going to take 2.5 "bridge deals" like people are hoping for IMO, if people think Nurse for example will sign for that, I think they are going to be disappointed here in 12 months time.

At least I'm not really choked that hard about not getting Laine now. No way we could have afforded that for even more than 3-4 years, it would've been heart breaking to either see that team ripped apart before they ever got going or to have 3 guys and then a forward group of AHL players around them.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The salary cap doesn't really care about that, it is what it is and it isn't going anywhere.

At least I'm not really choked that hard about not getting Laine now. No way we could have afforded that for even more than 3-4 years, it would've been heart breaking to either see that team ripped apart before they ever got going or to have 3 guys and then a forward group of AHL players around them.

RFA's will be tiered. Exceptional will get paid as so, great ones get paid as so, good ones will be paid as so, average will be paid as so, etc

We just happen to have a exeptional, and a great one. No different then Pittsburgh really.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RFA's will be tiered. Exceptional will get paid as so, great ones get paid as so, good ones will be paid as so, average will be paid as so, etc

We just happen to have a exeptional, and a great one. No different then Pittsburgh really.

We don't have two Connor McDavid players unfortunately though. Pittsburgh does. I'd be leery of just assuming because Pittsburgh has won that we will too. We are not exactly the same and they benefitted tremendously I would say from back loaded contracts that aren't allowed today.

If they had to sign Crosby/Malkin without the back loading they did, I don't think they can afford Phil Kessell and probably don't have the last 2 Cups they have.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Without question this will happen. Plug and play veterans are on every competitive team's roster. Look at Pittsburgh's defense this year. No team can load its entire depth up internally. It will happen this summer.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
We don't have two Connor McDavid players unfortunately though. Pittsburgh does. I'd be leery of just assuming because Pittsburgh has won that we will too. We are not exactly the same and they benefitted tremendously I would say from back loaded contracts that aren't allowed today.

If they had to sign Crosby/Malkin without the back loading they did, I don't think they can afford Phil Kessell and probably don't have the last 2 Cups they have.

One McDavid is better than no McDavids.

Let's take up the $13 million with one Patrick Marleau and one TJ Oshie. Oh yeah they wouldn't sign here anyway unless McDavid were here.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I still don't understand what Chiarelli was doing with the Pouliot buy out. Just use the guy for a year and then buy him out afterwards.

Was kinda weird. Honestly I don't think management felt like Pou came ready to play and decided to move on from him. Think Chia wants to give himself more cap space for trade deadline if he needs it:

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Check in tomorrow when the face of the NHL signs a max term contract with our team and some fans still **** all over it.

I'm sure there's more than a few posters on the board who would rather the team be the same pile of dog crap they were for the past 10 years....would probably make them feel better.:shakehead

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw it on my Twitter TL earlier today.
Stauffer had mentioned the oilers signing a forward still all show. Could that be somebody like Jagr, Iginla, or Doan?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

The days of 1st line players taking bridge deals for that amount might be over e.g. Ryan Johansen, but complimentary pieces, like Strome would be for us could get stiffed quite easily. Just play hardball and be patient, even is Strome has a good season points wise I find it hard to believe he would outperform someone like Rakell who is a more complete player and signed for $3.8M. Strome getting $6M off one good season would be worse than MacT give Gagner that $4.8M contract. I also think you are overestimating or being overly optimistic in how you think our young players will perform and thereby asserting overly inflated contracts based on unlikely levels of production.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw it on my Twitter TL earlier today.
Stauffer had mentioned the oilers signing a forward still all show. Could that be somebody like Jagr, Iginla, or Doan?

I guess anyone like that, who would sign for 1 year only. Also, reasonable AAV below 4 ideally

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Without question this will happen. Plug and play veterans are on every competitive team's roster. Look at Pittsburgh's defense this year. No team can load its entire depth up internally. It will happen this summer.

I expect another forward to be signed or traded for and possibly another Dman once the Drai/McD contracts are done. Maybe they wait till the end of summer and see who's still without a job and get someone on a real cheap 1 year deal. Honestly wouldn't mind seeing Jagr on a 1 year deal if he could be coaxed here, he'd add a lot of experience and skill to RW corps that could use it. Lots of talk that he's done but the guy lives hockey and I don't think he's ready to quit. He's probably getting stem cells in Panama and doing legs all summer lol.

Would love to see Jagr in Oilers silks playing with McDavid and Draisaitl.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Skating is an all-time premium in the NHL and the Oilers are NOT a fast team.

If other teams are worried about that, I would think the Oilers are too. I'd be good with it for the novelty, and because we have zero depth on the wing, but I can see the logic in targeting someone else.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Skating is an all-time premium in the NHL and the Oilers are NOT a fast team.

If other teams are worried about that, I would think the Oilers are too. I'd be good with it for the novelty, and because we have zero depth on the wing, but I can see the logic in targeting someone else.

not sure about that... Oilers' speed is one of their strongest points.
They pretty much had a speedster on every line. McD, Slepy, Pulju, Kassian..
Even guys like RNH and Caggiula are fast enough. Lucic and Maroon doesnt make us a slow team just like having Caggiula and DD didnt make us a small team. Oilers team is well balanced with a little bit of everything sans a PPQB on D.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
not sure about that... Oilers' speed is one of their strongest points.
They pretty much had a speedster on every line. McD, Slepy, Pulju, Kassian..
Even guys like RNH and Caggiula are fast enough. Lucic and Maroon doesnt make us a slow team just like having Caggiula and DD didnt make us a small team. Oilers team is well balanced with a little bit of everything sans a PPQB on D.

McDavid aside, the Oilers are probably one of the slowest teams in the conference.

Maybe quick would be a better term than fast, because guys like Lucic and Draisaitl are strong once they're in motion, but their first three steps aren't the hottest.

Jun 9, 2011
Vegas has no D signed beyond this year, I think we can send Kris Russell to them next summer but will have to give them a pick to do so.

Russell + EDM 2nd or 3rd 2018 to Las Vegas.

Lucic and Sekera have to go eventually too I think, we can keep them for another 2 years maybe, but are likely going to have to move them as well.

The problem with using picks to move bad contracts is we need to replenish a pool of cheap players.
There are too many NMC given out and it's more difficult to move guys in a salary cap league. Double whammy.
What do we do if Jones, or Bear, is better than Russell this year?

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
Vegas has no D signed beyond this year, I think we can send Kris Russell to them next summer but will have to give them a pick to do so.

Russell + EDM 2nd or 3rd 2018 to Las Vegas.

Lucic and Sekera have to go eventually too I think, we can keep them for another 2 years maybe, but are likely going to have to move them as well.

Pretty sure they both have NMC.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
McDavid aside, the Oilers are probably one of the slowest teams in the conference.

Maybe quick would be a better term than fast, because guys like Lucic and Draisaitl are strong once they're in motion, but their first three steps aren't the hottest.

I would have to disagree with that and counter by saying I think Oilers are one of the fastest in the Pacific. Every team has a slower player like Looch. But most of the players on our roster can boogie, even Pouliout (rip) was pretty quick.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I would have to disagree with that and counter by saying I think Oilers are one of the fastest in the Pacific. Every team has a slower player like Looch. But most of the players on our roster can boogie, even Pouliout (rip) was pretty quick.
McDavid makes everyone look slow . He made Mackinnon look slow at the all star game when in Mackinnon's rookie season he was already being touted as the fastest in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad