Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Free Agent Frenzy "I'd Buy That For a Dollar!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
For the record, Alan Mitchell had an article on the Athletic that speculated the Oilers going after smaller, less sexy free agents (he used Koivu, Duclair and Dell as his examples).
I thought this was the general expectation as we have little cap and a few holes to fill

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Other GMs are getting work done dumping salary for tomorrow. Yzerman owes Holland a favor after the whole AA and Green debacles. Chiasson and Koskinen for a 2022 5th.
Honestly, just Russell and I'm happy. It's too much to ask a team to pay tons of real dollars now. Koskinen and Chiasson are real dollars. Not doable.

I don't see any excuse on keeping Russell. Klefbom being out is not a good excuse. Even retain on Russell a little (although I'm not sure how that works. If we retain 500k do we take on 1.5-ish cap space?

Reactions: DropTheGloves

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Honestly, just Russell and I'm happy. It's too much to ask a team to pay tons of real dollars now. Koskinen and Chiasson are real dollars. Not doable.

I don't see any excuse on keeping Russell. Klefbom being out is not good. Even retain on Russell a little (although I'm not sure how that works. If we retain 500k do we take on 1.5-ish cap space?
Unless Holland signs a top 4 goalie Russell stays. I don't think he moves him until he he signs a replacement (if at all)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Unless Holland signs a top 4 goalie Russell stays. I don't think he moves him until he he signs a replacement (if at all)
That is possible.

It's also possible that maybe our team wants to cut costs too. We might be underestimating this situation. If that is the case, I'm fine with just going with Koskinen with a lesser back up. If it hurts to spend that bad, spend at forward. Koskinen is a good goalie.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That is possible.

It's also possible that maybe our team wants to cut costs too. We might be underestimating this situation. If that is the case, I'm fine with just going with Koskinen with a lesser back up. If it hurts to spend that bad, spend at forward. Koskinen is a good goalie.
Holland said we aren't trying to cut costs.
He said we are a cap team and that's not changing. It's clear that he has the go ahead to keep on business as normal.
They probably made bank from the long term rental of all the OEG owned facilities.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Holland said we aren't trying to cut costs.
He said we are a cap team and that's not changing. It's clear that he has the go ahead to keep on business as normal.
They probably made bank from the long term rental of all the OEG owned facilities.
that is encouraging, but Holland is a true GM who recognizes that his job has a massive PR element to it. We would be a cap team just by keeping Russell and not using Klef's LTIR cap space, and re-signing our guys, and adding some lesser FAs.

And just like PR, he could say that we want to keep Russell because of Klef's injury and that we love his game, and you could say that you don't want to use Klef's LTIR because you expect him to be back mid season

edit: but I will add that I didn't hear that quote so that is good. Hopefully it translates into some great additions

Reactions: CycloneSweep

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I think Koskinen is a good goalie, from what I've seen over the years, he's been serviceable at a premium price. I know that is an eye sore for some.

He's gotten better, and IF you can add a talented starter to this team at a price that you can keep Koskinen...

I will be very excited for next season!

Holland. I think he has more room then he had last year? It seems so.
And we had a good season. Don't deny this! That was a fun season! So he made more good decisions to get us that good season.

Tampa bay 2018/19 lost in the first round in 4 games and they were supposedly the team to win it all that year and now they are the Stanley Cup Champions. We know, as oilerfans, there are good years and bad years, But ever since we finally got into the playoffs, it's becoming fun to watch again!

We fell flat on our face in the play-ins against a team that still had a core that recently won 3 Stanley Cups. I think we will be better prepared this year.

You have to thank Holland for putting together something that works in one year.

Trading players and assets, it's a gamble. Each side wanting to win the trade in getting the best player in the transaction. But hopefully in the end, there is a win-win trade. A gentlemen trade.

I look forward to seeing Hollands work in free agency. I believe he is going to make us better.

This is the first time I felt in free agency, that we might actually sign, a premier player that wants to be here.

Enjoy free agency guys!! I think this going to be a fun one! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks and subnet

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
If I was calling the shots tomorrow it would go something like this.
Sign Markstrom
Trade Koskinen and a sweetener to replace Klefbom
And kick some tires on Granlund and Hall.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Clearing cap for Pete. Not sure why the Jets are doing them a favour though

They tried to sign him after the playoff run but he chose Vegas. They need a second line centre. Makes sense.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Clearing cap for Pete. Not sure why the Jets are doing them a favour though

Winnipeg still needs a second line center and Stastny had a great run with the Jets his first time in the org. They probably didn't pay a whole lot to fill their biggest need, so good for them.

Reactions: North

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If I was calling the shots tomorrow it would go something like this.
Sign Markstrom
Trade Koskinen and a sweetener to replace Klefbom
And kick some tires on Granlund and Hall.
Throw in Kahun instead of Granlund and we're in business. Kahun is a younger, better and cheaper version of Granlund. Similar in size too - both are lefty's so it's a wash. I think they'll go after Barrie, but I'm curious to see what happens if Brodie shakes loose. I'd rather have him if possible..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad