Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Expansion Draft Edition, Unleash The Salary Cap Kraken's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Take it for what its worth but on Spittin Chiclets, Biz brought up Hall back to Edmonton and Whit shot it down immediately. He said he texted with Hall about it and he said no truth to the rumor. But I doubt he would say anything different if he was thinking about coming here.
Thanks for sharing.

I have no clue where Hall is going, but players always deny where they are going until it's official.

It reminds me of 2016 when a bunch of local media and a few posters on here (@duul was one of them) said Lucic to Edmonton was 99.9% done three days before July 1st when he toured the arena with Demers. A media guy from Boston texted Lucic to confirm it, and Lucic just responded with "Bullshit." Of course, the speculation was bang on.

Edit:

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Thanks for sharing.

I have no clue where Hall is going, but players always deny where they are going until it's official.

It reminds me of 2016 when a bunch of local media and a couple posters on here (@duul was one of them) said Lucic to Edmonton was 99.9% done three days before July 1st when he toured the arena with Demers. A media guy from Boston texted Lucic to confirm, and Lucic just responded with "Bullshit." Of course, the speculation was bang on.

Edit:

Exactly this.
Also Whitney's a f***ing douche. I remember him mocking Smytty when Smytty was crying leaving Edmonton. Smytty has more heart than your punk ass ever will, Whitney.

Sportsnet Mocks Ryan Smyth

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Did Vegas actually take on any terribad contracts in their expansion draft?

I think with how Vegas has been so successful so quickly, it will discourage Seattle from taking players who will intentionally make them a worse team. Expansion is currently set up so that the new teams, who’s owners just paid a ton of money, are able to ice winning teams very quickly.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Exactly this.
Also Whitney's a f***ing douche. I remember him mocking Smytty when Smytty was crying leaving Edmonton. Smytty has more heart than your punk ass ever will, Whitney.

Yeah Whitney is a douchenozzle

Anyone know what Stauffer meant when he said that 'that' website was born from a false story? I think he was referring to Oilersnation and the Smytty leaving thing

Reactions: Proko88

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Did Vegas actually take on any terribad contracts in their expansion draft?

I think with how Vegas has been so successful so quickly, it will discourage Seattle from taking players who will intentionally make them a worse team. Expansion is currently set up so that the new teams, who’s owners just paid a ton of money, are able to ice winning teams very quickly.

They took a ton!! Carier, Nosek, Thorburn, Garrison, Berube, England(who Calgary begged to get off the team), Schlemko, Reinhart, etc

People choose to omit the Vegas hangover. They played alot of plugs yet won based on intangibles and people equate it to great GMing.

I watched that draft and ppl were LOL at McPhee and his picks...but once they started winning due to Vegas hangover and the Bad News Bears vibe the predominantly scrub team bought into, , people quickly turned it into "draftin genius" and "great coaching"

Follows suit with the sentiment that fans ONLY look 1 step ahead, and will make whatever conclusion suits their narrative.

Spittin Chicklets confirmed the "Vegas Hangover" yet most ppl thought Vegas drafted intelligentially and were coached to excellence. Most teams didn't even take them seriously and their draft picks caught up quick

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
They took a ton!! Carier, Nosek, Thorburn, Garrison, Berube, England(who Calgary begged to get off the team), Schlemko, Reinhart, etc

People choose to omit the Vegas hangover. They played alot of plugs yet won based on intangibles and people equate it to great GMing.

I watched that draft and ppl were LOL at McPhee and his picks...but once they started winning due to Vegas hangover and the Bad News Bears vibe the predominantly scrub team bought into, , people quickly turned it into "draftin genius" and "great coaching"

Follows suit with the sentiment that fans ONLY look 1 step ahead, and will make whatever conclusion suits their narrative.

Spittin Chicklets confirmed the "Vegas Hangover" yet most ppl thought Vegas drafted intelligentially and were coached to excellence. Most teams didn't even take them seriously and their draft picks caught up quick
You missed David Clarkson and Mikhail Grabovski.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

The only bad contract there though is Garrison. Engelland was going to be a UFA so he was already gone from Calgary when Vegas signed him.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

A lot of those are minimum contracts, not bad contracts. Nosek + Carrier still play for them and have for a long time.

The only real "bad contracts" were Garrison, Grabovski (LTIR) and Clarkson (LTIR)

Tampa Bay paid a good amount for Vegas to even take Garrison - all for Tampa to keep Dotchin and Koekkoek (!)

Their draft picks have not caught up quick at all. Cody Glass isn't there yet. They dealt Suzuki + Brannstrom.

Gallant is a good coach.

Their draft went well because of McPhee being shrewd combined with awful, awful GM decisions. Anaheim should be forever ashamed for giving up Theodore, that was obviously bad from day 1. Dale Tallon has rocks in his brain. Those were just garbage.

They had a bit of luck - Karlsson turned out after a good CBJ playoff showing. Tuch developed (a good trade by McPhee there), and Pittsburgh went with Murray over Fleury before Murray became a concussion case.

They kept it going because of the Stone trade and the Pacioretty move (which both teams ended up enjoying) and now Pietrangelo. They've been aggressive and are rewarded for it yearly, except for a cup.

You can spin it however you want though, like saying Vegas hangover is everything. It's like when Oiler fans pretend the rest of the team is anywhere close to what McDavid and Draisaitl provide on a nightly basis. You can spin that "this guy looked good" and "wow he was key" but frankly those two carry the team 85% of the time higher than they should be.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
A lot of those are minimum contracts, not bad contracts. Nosek + Carrier still play for them and have for a long time.

The only real "bad contracts" were Garrison, Grabovski (LTIR) and Clarkson (LTIR)

Tampa Bay paid a good amount for Vegas to even take Garrison - all for Tampa to keep Dotchin and Koekkoek (!)

Their draft picks have not caught up quick at all. Cody Glass isn't there yet. They dealt Suzuki + Brannstrom.

Gallant is a good coach.

Their draft went well because of McPhee being shrewd combined with awful, awful GM decisions. Anaheim should be forever ashamed for giving up Theodore, that was obviously bad from day 1. Dale Tallon has rocks in his brain. Those were just garbage.

They had a bit of luck - Karlsson turned out after a good CBJ playoff showing. Tuch developed (a good trade by McPhee there), and Pittsburgh went with Murray over Fleury before Murray became a concussion case.

They kept it going because of the Stone trade and the Pacioretty move (which both teams ended up enjoying) and now Pietrangelo. They've been aggressive and are rewarded for it yearly, except for a cup.

You can spin it however you want though, like saying Vegas hangover is everything. It's like when Oiler fans pretend the rest of the team is anywhere close to what McDavid and Draisaitl provide on a nightly basis. You can spin that "this guy looked good" and "wow he was key" but frankly those two carry the team 85% of the time higher than they should be.

Nope. Vagas hangover got them over a hump.. It's been well documented.

Fans trying to romantiising it is a fools errand.

That team still doesn't have Cs.

You can believe what you want or you can actually listen to real life testimony. Your choice

Kinda makes my point tho. Fans on forums like these will always create their own narrative and die on that hill.

Just listen to SC and they address this full measure.

Last edited:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Vegas who has made the final once and conference finals twice in 4 years of playoffs (existence)?
Decent coached good team I would say. (And I know a bit about winning my back office gm has 6 rings)

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hey guys, I saw the report that the Oilers were interested in Georgiev from the Rangers and I know some in the last thread mentioned Kassian, but what about something along the lines of:

Georgiev for Khaira + Koskinen + picks (say 2nd '22 + 4th '21) or something along those lines.

Here is my thinking:

The Rangers could use a big bodied winger for their 4th line. Some insiders on the Rangers board have mentioned Khaira in the past going all the way back to when McDonagh was traded and rumored to be part of the package offered. He is a RFA and someone the Rangers could sign to a medium term deal at a reasonable contract to grow with the team at 26 years old.

The Rangers could use Koskinen in a back-up role to Shesty for a season while he works with Allaire (Rangers goalie coach). If he works out, they can look to re-sign him at a much lower cap figure for a year or two. It also gives the Rangers a veteran Finn in the room with Kaako and someone who has played quite a few games in the NHL as a back-up.

The picks are mainly for taking Koskinen's contract and to off-set the value from Georgiev to Khaira.

From Edmonton's POV, they get a cost controlled young goalie, probably suited right now to be a 1B and jettison Koskinen to help with the cap issues this year.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Exactly this.

I’m not a fan of him either or his booze. I bought a bottle of that Pink Whitney and drank it. Man I was hungover for 2 days. I’ll never drink it again

Reactions: Proko88

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Stauffer and Spector were talking about Hyman vs Hall at the same price (6x6) yesterday and they somehow both pick Hyman. Halls average season is 72 points and Hymans best is 41 it’s really not close

Reactions: iCanada

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hey guys, I saw the report that the Oilers were interested in Georgiev from the Rangers and I know some in the last thread mentioned Kassian, but what about something along the lines of:

Georgiev for Khaira + Koskinen + picks (say 2nd '22 + 4th '21) or something along those lines.

Here is my thinking:

The Rangers could use a big bodied winger for their 4th line. Some insiders on the Rangers board have mentioned Khaira in the past going all the way back to when McDonagh was traded and rumored to be part of the package offered. He is a RFA and someone the Rangers could sign to a medium term deal at a reasonable contract to grow with the team at 26 years old.

The Rangers could use Koskinen in a back-up role to Shesty for a season while he works with Allaire (Rangers goalie coach). If he works out, they can look to re-sign him at a much lower cap figure for a year or two. It also gives the Rangers a veteran Finn in the room with Kaako and someone who has played quite a few games in the NHL as a back-up.

The picks are mainly for taking Koskinen's contract and to off-set the value from Georgiev to Khaira.

From Edmonton's POV, they get a cost controlled young goalie, probably suited right now to be a 1B and jettison Koskinen to help with the cap issues this year.

I would say Rangers or Pittsburg have to be interested in Kassian. They need something to counter Wilson

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would say Rangers or Pittsburg have to be interested in Kassian. They need something to counter Wilson

I don't think Kassian is a deterrent to Wilson. I get the sense that the Rangers are looking to build a team that is more difficult to play against. Some of that will come with time, the Rangers were the youngest team in the NHL last year.

Khaira is scrappy, younger and will come at a better cost (cap hit).

Although I wouldn't be surprised to also see the Rangers try to snag Ryan Reaves out of Vegas this off-season...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Stauffer and Spector were talking about Hyman vs Hall at the same price (6x6) yesterday and they somehow both pick Hyman. Halls average season is 72 points and Hymans best is 41 it’s really not close
I don't see much of an argument for Hyman over Hall at the same money. I really like Hyman, but you can find guys like him playing for $3-4M on teams. His game is driven by dogged effort moreso than skill. His salary will be bouyed by numers that are more to do with who he plays with than his own ability to generate offense. But I don't see an upside on those numbers even if he was to play with McDavid. He's just not good with the puck so it limits his offensive potential.

Now would he help the Oilers. Absolutely. If they sign him, I'll hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad