Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Come on Chia, Throw Hitch a Bone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Not sure why Berglund would have any interest in Edmonton, or why any team would have any interest in him at this point.

If he truly failed to report because he wasn't happy with his usage as a bottom 6 forward, is he expecting to be handed a top 6 spot somewhere? He's a 30 year old grinder with average at best skating, and has 20 goals three times in his entire career, including two time almost 10 years ago. Anyone who banks on him filling a top 6 role is looking to be disappointed.

All of that mixed with whatever the hell is going on now... I'd be surprised if his NHL career isn't over.

The fact that he seems willing to give up almost 4m a year for this year as well as the next 3, because he seemingly can't accept a lesser role is seriously concerning.

Maybe he's holding out for Seattle where he hopes he can step in and take a top 6 role

Lots of whispers he’s dealing with depression. I’m sure more than a few of posters here have encountered, or had someone close to them battle with that affliction. It can really derail everything in your life. I know I’ve lost a job or two over it.

Point being, we don’t know what’s going on. Maybe he’s being a primadonna. Maybe its something much more.

Can’t label or judge without the deets.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not sure why Berglund would have any interest in Edmonton, or why any team would have any interest in him at this point.

If he truly failed to report because he wasn't happy with his usage as a bottom 6 forward, is he expecting to be handed a top 6 spot somewhere? He's a 30 year old grinder with average at best skating, and has 20 goals three times in his entire career, including two time almost 10 years ago. Anyone who banks on him filling a top 6 role is looking to be disappointed.

All of that mixed with whatever the hell is going on now... I'd be surprised if his NHL career isn't over.

The fact that he seems willing to give up almost 4m a year for this year as well as the next 3, because he seemingly can't accept a lesser role is seriously concerning.

Maybe he's holding out for Seattle where he hopes he can step in and take a top 6 role
That seems like it might be an overly simplistic way to view this, because he's actually walking away from his contract, not just dogging it in the minors still collecting the cheques.

It seems to me the more likely scenario is he's unhappy with his new role, but also with the new organization and city, he's personally unhappy with his whole situation to the point where he's walking away from a lot of money. I would be very surprised (at his age) that his career would be over and I would be very surprised that his representation didn't get phone calls from teams (including this one honestly) the day his suspension was first announced.

He's not the first guy to be unhappy with the new role, a less role, but he would be one of the to walk away from more then $10M because of it.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Just throwing something out here

On HockeyCentral @ noon today Burke was saying how him and Chuck Fletcher think alot alike, about how teams should play 'heavy' and have some snarl, and that Philly has sort of lost their "DNA" as he put it. (Fletcher is the new GM of Philly for anyone who wasn't following that)

Edmonton desperately wants to lose the Lucic contract off the books. But that is a real anchor of a contract. To make it more appealing for Philly to take, how much would you feel comfortable retaining to get rid of it?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

On HockeyCentral @ noon today Burke was saying how him and Chuck Fletcher think alot alike, about how teams should play 'heavy' and have some snarl, and that Philly has sort of lost their "DNA" as he put it. (Fletcher is the new GM of Philly for anyone who wasn't following that)

Edmonton desperately wants to lose the Lucic contract off the books. But that is a real anchor of a contract. To make it more appealing for Philly to take, how much would you feel comfortable retaining to get rid of it?

He is playing a good role right now and is a glue type guy--look at the Pens since they traded Reeves?

No one likes his contact--but sometimes it goes beyond what he gets paid an looking at just pts--Him and Kass are forming a Crash line that keeps other teams honest

we can replace him with an fringe 4th liner--who does not bring the intangibles that Lucic does

How often does McDavid get run? How often has Crosby or Malkin been run since the reeves trade?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
That seems like it might be an overly simplistic way to view this, because he's actually walking away from his contract, not just dogging it in the minors still collecting the cheques.

It seems to me the more likely scenario is he's unhappy with his new role, but also with the new organization and city, he's personally unhappy with his whole situation to the point where he's walking away from a lot of money. I would be very surprised (at his age) that his career would be over and I would be very surprised that his representation didn't get phone calls from teams (including this one honestly) the day his suspension was first announced.

He's not the first guy to be unhappy with the new role, a less role, but he would be one of the to walk away from more then $10M because of it.

Then he could have mutually terminated the contract and moved on. Instead he refused to report and dragged it out until buffalo was forced into doing something.

No team is going to force a guy whos put up 4 points to continue to accept his 3.85m salary for the next 4 years.

Its hard to look at this in any way that doesn't reflect poorly on him, unless it's a mental health thing in which case buffalo is about to face the NHLPA in full force.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
He is playing a good role right now and is a glue type guy--look at the Pens since they traded Reeves?

No one likes his contact--but sometimes it goes beyond what he gets paid an looking at just pts--Him and Kass are forming a Crash line that keeps other teams honest

we can replace him with an fringe 4th liner--who does not bring the intangibles that Lucic does

How often does McDavid get run? How often has Crosby or Malkin been run since the reeves trade?
Hopefully we free up 4-6 million and sign a real good player like Radulov (I know he's signed) as a UFA. Maybe try for Panarin.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Id retain up to 1.75-2 mil max if it meant getting him off the books for nothing.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Lots of whispers he’s dealing with depression. I’m sure more than a few of posters here have encountered, or had someone close to them battle with that affliction. It can really derail everything in your life. I know I’ve lost a job or two over it.

Point being, we don’t know what’s going on. Maybe he’s being a primadonna. Maybe its something much more.

Can’t label or judge without the deets.

In which case, buffalo is going to get what they deserve.

It just seems incredibly odd that instead of taking a leave of absence or something like that, he has just refused to be part of the team.

I deal with depression every day, and come from a family riddled with it, but the world is becoming more accommodating about mental illnesses and time off every day, especially the NHL, where not only is it a major topic, but you have an entire peer run organization to make sure you're protected from discrimination due to things like mental illness.

If Berglund is dealing with mental illness, then I wish him the best, but by all accounts he's in contact with former teammates and friends about his situation, why would he be unable to fill in his employer? The nhl has come a long way since pos came to the PoS' in the oilers front office as far as mental health support goes.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

You can only retain 50%. Lucic at $3M per for the next 4 years at 2 goals / 82 is still an overpay. I would rather give as many draft picks as necessary to the Flyers for them to take the entire contract. Either way I dont think that contract is moveable until after July 1 2020 when his signing bonus comes in and he is owed 10M on an 18M cap hit. Then the high cap hit/low actual salary makes him a tangible trade chip for a budget team needing to make the salary floor. I think with the CBA coming up more than half the teams in the league would want a freebie buyout or two. That I think is our best hope and not eat any contract with Lucic.

Reactions: Znith

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Lucic with 1 mill for Andrew MacDonald
Nurse for Nolan Patrick
I wouldn't trade Nurse or Lucic this year. Nurse is on an upward curve with a good contract and Lucic is worth more here than any possible return we can get for him right now. Lucic will have something to prove come playoffs... if we get there

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I wouldn't trade Nurse or Lucic this year. Nurse is on an upward curve with a good contract and Lucic is worth more here than any possible return we can get for him right now. Lucic will have something to prove come playoffs... if we get there
Based on the log jam at LD, I would trade Nurse for Nolan Patrick when everyone is healthy

Reactions: McLovin

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
The person who should be on the trade block right now is Talbot. But again, he has zero value with the year he is having and isnt he ufa this year?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Koskinen can sign an extension on January 1, can he not? I expect him to be extended between then and the deadline.

I think Chiarelli *could* be okay with losing Talbot for nothing because the Oilers dont have a (better) capable backup option to call up if Talbot is dealt, unless they get one in a separate deal.

If it's the separate deal route, if Minny is out of it by the deadline, I'd try to get Stalock if Talbot is dealt to another team on that day. He knows his role is to be the backup and is on a dirt cheap expiring contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: McLovin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad