Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Are We Good Enough at 2RW?

Are We Good Enough at 2RW?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO as people have ripped on the likes of Koskinen and our new defensive additions, my concern at the moment is 2RW. Do we have someone that can internally fill that spot in Foegele or Perlini? Do we stick with Yamamoto and hope that he finds his mojo again? Do we take a run at a guy like Kessel if he is indeed on the block? Next season we could see Bourgault filling that spot, but for right now IMO not having a solid 2nd line is a big worry especially if we are a team with a suspect defense and goaltending.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Perlini doesn’t do enough well outside of goalscore to be a good fit in the top 6. Yamamoto isn’t getting it done.
Foegele does everything but score.

at forward it’s honestly our only real hole

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If we wanted a winger we would've signed one in offseason too.
Also, 'upgrading' indicates you already got someone. ARI doesn't have an NHL level goalie and would value Koskinen a lot more than Kassian or Turris.

No, we couldn't have. We didn't have any capsapce left. Arizona is clearly trying to tank, you don't think they could have done better than Carter Hutton @ 750K with $10m+ capspace if they wanted a better goalie?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Perlini doesn’t do enough well outside of goalscore to be a good fit in the top 6. Yamamoto isn’t getting it done.

Lol you're judging these guys in preseason man

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lol you're judging these guys in preseason man
Or if you took more than 2 seconds and remembered literally anything about players……. You would realize it’s more than just preseason

Foegele is a guy who has stone hands and struggles to score. That’s who he is. It’s why he isn’t a top 6 guy yet and has been only a third line forward. It’s not knocking him or insulting him it’s him as a player.

Perlini fell out of the league because when he wasn’t scoring there wasn’t much else to his game. He is most likely improved from that but going from that to top 6 player is a big jump.

Yamamoto we have his entire last season of play to go off of. Can that change, sure. But until he starts showing different, people will be down on him.
Just because you like a player doesn’t make them good

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What? BBO takes issue with Yamamoto?

Well this is news!

He looked great in the back half of Draisaitl's Hart season. Since then he hasn't looked good at all. You'd think that after signing a cheap "show me" deal, that he'd be coming out with a chip on his shoulder. Yet his pre-season has shown anything but.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Why was Stauffer hinting at us possibly getting Brett Connolly with salary retention on Oilers Now?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Or if you took more than 2 seconds and remembered literally anything about players……. You would realize it’s more than just preseason

Foegele is a guy who has stone hands and struggles to score. That’s who he is. It’s why he isn’t a top 6 guy yet and has been only a third line forward. It’s not knocking him or insulting him it’s him as a player.

Perlini fell out of the league because when he wasn’t scoring there wasn’t much else to his game. He is most likely improved from that but going from that to top 6 player is a big jump.

Yamamoto we have his entire last season of play to go off of. Can that change, sure. But until he starts showing different, people will be down on him.
Yeh Foegele is pretty much exactly as advertised so far. The eye test really does have value still as even Canes fans could tell us pretty much exactly as he’s shown. I knew the finish may not be there but it’s also little plays where his hands seem to fail him, like flubbing or mis-aiming 10 ft passes and such. As a bottom 6 winger it’s fine and with his tools there’s hope for improvement.

Didn’t read up too much on Perlini cause didn’t expect him to be making it. But I could see it.

And Yamo while looking good in game 1 of the preseason hasn’t shown much that would indicate a different performance from last year this far. His shot may be better though as he’s worked on it and it looked good on his goal, but he hasn’t been a position to get much shots.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I think that they'll wait for 5 regular games to see what Yamamoto has to offer as a winger for Drai and then we'll see some shuffling; both he and the Oilers need him to get back to top form.

My gut feeling is that he's been playing much more timidly after taking more damage to his body; teams have honed in on him physically after the DRY line caught fire.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think our RW is 'good enough' but would be a great position to look at upgrading at the deadline if we had the capspace.

McDrai/RNH/Hyman/Puljujarvi are enough that you can easily get away with whoever's hot in the top-6, it's not an uncommon practice. Pittsburgh won cups this way.

Reactions: LTIR and K1984

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

When did I say that me liking them makes them good? I'm saying why are you making judgements before the season even begins? Look at how JP changed last year. Look at how Nurse broke out.

We can even look at this negatively. Look at how Kassian sucked in the stink. Look at how Bear went down so quickly.

Unpredictable lol. That's why I'm saying wait until the season starts

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

RNH and Draisaitl take care of the defensive side of the puck well enough to have a guy that isn't great defensively on their wing. Part of me wonders if we shouldn't try to add Dylan Strome on the cheap and play him with Connor and Jesse and then run RNH-Draisaitl-Hyman as our 2nd line.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Why was Stauffer hinting at us possibly getting Brett Connolly with salary retention on Oilers Now?

It better be enough retention to make the entire amount buriable if true.

He has another year left after this, zero point in taking that risk especially considering how tight the cap situation is projected to be next year.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
With Broberg, Samorukov, Holloway and Bourgault all making the team soon, I wouldnt be surprised if we are an even better team next year.

I think this trade deadline will be very interesting and you gotta think that one of those plus our 1st rounder are potentially available for a playoff push. Alhough, I dont see a whole lot that needs to be added. I think Holland will just add some cheap veterans in case of injury.

Reactions: K1984
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad