Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "Ahead By A Century"...And By "Century", I Mean Roughly $20 Million Dollars in Cap Space Going Into Free Agency!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Marchment should be priority number one if there's mutual interest and he's coming in below 5 million. If you could get him, Strome, and one other piece at forward that would fill out the group really nicely. Obviously I would like the third player to be someone like Perron or Giroux, but I guess that would depend on Strome's number.

This team won two playoff series on the backs of basically two strong lines (maybe one depending on who you talk to). If they can add potentially 3 60 point scorers to the team, I think they'll be pretty much unstoppable offensively.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Exactly my thought too.

Let him see what the dollars are like out there, because once noon hits on July 13, if he isn't an Oiler, we are calling Giroux

I never wanted Kane back unless it was on a sweet-heart deal, which we were never going to get with his money problems. A fully-priced Kane had no appeal to me. He shot the lights out in Edmonton, and will simply NOT repeat that performance again, so let some other team pay him as if he will repeat it.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
It would be interesting if their offer to Kane was 4.5 million, because to me that means they have a read on how the league values Kane, or they have plans with the rest of that cap space. Might be a situation where that money is earmarked for Kane or Giroux, and if Kane doesn't take it they move on?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
D7A01082-E566-451D-BC06-B6590E91829B.jpeg

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Pulju is not a better player than Brown at this point in his career. The bulk of Pulju's scoring came alongside elite of the elite players and he barely outscored Brown last season, Brown also penalty kills. Obviously he has upside on his side but right now, I'm fairly confident that Brown would make the Oilers a better team today.

In any event, I think it would be Foegele for Brown if it happened.

Not sure why either team would make a Foegele for Brown trade though. They are essentially the same player are they not? We would save about $1 million in cap I suppose, and Brown is a little better of a player I guess (more scoring touch). But it seems very "meh" to me for both teams.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

I think in a vacuum this is probably the appropriate strategy for the Oilers. Offer a solid but obviously team-friendly deal (given the circumstances), and allow him to shop around. There will be enough GM’s with apprehension for myriad reasons, including outstanding arbitration/settlement concerns…. BUT, BUT, BUT… Calgary is going to be flush with cash and desperate, and will for sure 100% guaranteed be willing to wait around for Kane, for sure offering more than a 4x4. A lot more.

So, just be prepared for that situation to play out….

• Haha
Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah well last year we spent a fortune and what did we wind up with aside from Hyman? I can’t remember.

Ceci was the other big addition and a re-signed RNH. Honestly, I've been a huge "fire Holland" guy for a long time now, but he actually did okay with the cap space last season. Hell, he even lucked out with the ridiculous Keith trade due to the retirement.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Kane isn't going to get the 7x7 he's apparently looking for on the open market, but he will do better than what Peel claims we've offered him. Someone will risk it.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think in a vacuum this is probably the appropriate strategy for the Oilers. Offer a solid but obviously team-friendly deal (given the circumstances), and allow him to shop around. There will be enough GM’s with apprehension for myriad reasons, including outstanding arbitration/settlement concerns…. BUT, BUT, BUT… Calgary is going to be flush with cash and desperate, and will for sure 100% guaranteed be willing to wait around for Kane, for sure offering more than a 4x4. A lot more.

So, just be prepared for that situation to play out….

If Kane is the Flames best player (after Johnny walks), that’s a good thing. And I’m a big fan of Kane

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The more I hear about Giroux.. the more I think he's going to Ottawa.
It's a nice idea, but it's pretty unlikely we could sign him.

That Kane offer is what we can afford to spend at the very most on a top six forward. You would have to think that Giroux is in the high 6s on a four year deal.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
It's almost as if the players themselves aren't the problem and the brain damaged general managers are. Why should I, as a NHL goaltender, not take millions of dollars more than I'm worth if someone is dumb enough to offer it to me?
Agreed but, if Holland doesn’t overpay and come out of the off season with what the media preceives as a legitimate goaltender he’s f***ed. It matters not what anyone on here feels about Campbell or anyone else really.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Honestly great work by Holland offering Kane 4. We'll see what happens.
Honestly if he gets a payout from SJ, he'd be paid handsomely with 4.5 + whatever it is. I know that money is needed by him for his financial issues, but being on a legit cup contender has to be a thing to right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad