Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "Ahead By A Century"...And By "Century", I Mean Roughly $20 Million Dollars in Cap Space Going Into Free Agency!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Probably a good move for the Oilers too.

He can find out if the fantasy $7x7 deal is out there for himself, then if it isn't it might give us the ability to get something done that's more reasonable.
Exactly my thought too.

Let him see what the dollars are like out there, because once noon hits on July 13, if he isn't an Oiler, we are calling Giroux

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I would probably see if there are other options on the market before paying assets to get Connor Brown.

Unless it’s something around Foegele for Brown with a pick to even things out.

Reactions: McDrai

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I keep hearing this narrative that Campbell and Koskinen are similar goaltenders and I'm genuinely curious what the similarities are between the 2. You certainly can't be referring to their stats as Campbell has put up way better numbers than Koskinen has in the NHL. Campbell is North American whereas Koskinen is Finnish. Campbell is a fair bit smaller than Koskinen. Their styles are different. What is the similarity?

There are no similarities. He's whistling dixie out of his bum

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I guess a Pulj trade would maybe make sense to some degree. Ottawa would be getting the better player IMO, by a fair margin in fact. Pulj is younger, produces around the same offense with less PP time, is better defensively, and is significantly bigger. If this is the type of return we can expect from the Pulj trade, the team would be quite a bit better off just keeping the player.
Pulju is not a better player than Brown at this point in his career. The bulk of Pulju's scoring came alongside elite of the elite players and he barely outscored Brown last season, Brown also penalty kills. Obviously he has upside on his side but right now, I'm fairly confident that Brown would make the Oilers a better team today.

In any event, I think it would be Foegele for Brown if it happened.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Probably a good move for the Oilers too.

He can find out if the fantasy $7x7 deal is out there for himself, then if it isn't it might give us the ability to get something done that's more reasonable.

I think Gaudreau leaves Calgary and as a result, Calgary offers Kane a huge contract.

Evander won't be signed until a few days after the opening day of free agency as he and his agent will be waiting around to see which club will be desperate enough to offer them a massive contract.

Just my two cents.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Why are Oiler fans so afraid of the concept of having two genuine offensive D-men on the backend?

I keep seeing everyone saying that Bouchard makes Barrie a redundancy. For years we bemoaned having a backend that was incapable of transitioning the puck up the ice or contributing offensively. We finally have guys who can do it and people want to dump them and sign the likes of Chiarot or Manson to replace them?

No more Adam Larssons.
Our d corps is way too slow. If Barrie was a good skater like Girard or Makar you might have a point.

The only good skaters on our backend are Nurse and Kulak and one of them is a UFA.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lets get really funky: . If Kane goes elsewhere JVR and one Provorov or Sanheim in a bigger deal could make sense.

After July 1 JVR has only $4M in salary:

To Philly: JP, Samorukov,

To Arizona: JVR, Edmonton's 2023 second Foegele

TO Edmonton: JVR (40% retained on JVR from Arizona), Provorov
I don't see why Philly shops Provorov unless the market for JVR is nonexistent. The whole premise of them clearing salary has to do with Gaudreau, no question. So I can't see them being too interested in taking salary back.

I think you could take advantage there by taking something like their '23 2nd and a significant young player for taking JVR's salary. I can't see them moving Provorov unless they miss out on their plan A.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I think Gaudreau leaves Calgary and as a result, Calgary offers Kane a huge contract.

Evander won't be signed until a few days after the opening day of free agency as he and his agent will be waiting around to see which club will be desperate enough to offer them a massive contract.

Just my two cents.
With Kanes history, and calgary having rumoured lockeroom issues between Johnny and Tkachuk, I wonder if they’d really throw their cap away at taking a risk on kane producing like that away from Mcdavid.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
Got to admit, I'm a little nervous. I thought Holland did a wonderful job freeing up salary but it's where he allocates that cash is all that matters.

All the talk was that Holland was freeing up the money to make a big splash in the market and make this team a true cup contender. As we sit right now, we're looking at overpaying an unproven netminder in Campbell, we don't appear to be the favorites in the Giroux sweepstakes, and our biggest addition from last season, Kane, who was a beast in the playoffs, will be testing the market.

I can see us adding Dylan Strome, maybe a Deslaurier or Brown and resigning Kulak, but unless we see a huge surprise addition then I'm not so sure we're gonna see a much improved roster from this past season.

Reactions: Oilers88

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
With Kanes history, and calgary having rumoured lockeroom issues between Johnny and Tkachuk, I wonder if they’d really throw their cap away at taking a risk on kane producing like that away from Mcdavid.

They for sure would. And a Tkachuk - Lindholm - Kane line would be a serious handful, and while it might produce less regular season points I think it would be much more effective in the playoffs when things tighten up. It wouldn’t be ideal for Edmonton to have to play a bunch of games against that line over the next several years. Not so much in terms of points in the standings but in terms of bumps and bruises.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Just my two cents.

As much as it would pain me to watch Kane sign with them after how much I enjoyed watching him dummy them in the playoffs, it would also be hilarious if they signed him to a massive ticket in hopes he'll replace Gaudreau.

He does not, and would not fit on that team. He needs a gifted playmaking centre to play with in order to maximize his effectiveness and the Flames don't have that. He would probably be an instant problem in the room as well.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Got to admit, I'm a little nervous. I thought Holland did a wonderful job freeing up salary but it's where he allocates that cash is all that matters.

Yeah well last year we spent a fortune and what did we wind up with aside from Hyman? I can’t remember.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

All the talk was that Holland was freeing up the money to make a big splash in the market and make this team a true cup contender. As we sit right now, we're looking at overpaying an unproven netminder in Campbell, we don't appear to be the favorites in the Giroux sweepstakes, and our biggest addition from last season, Kane, who was a beast in the playoffs, will be testing the market.

I can see us adding Dylan Strome, maybe a Deslaurier or Brown and resigning Kulak, but unless we see a huge surprise addition then I'm not so sure we're gonna see a much improved roster from this past season.
Seems like Campbell and Brown are 100% coming. Brown is a big upgrade on Pulju who will be leaving.

I think we can add two more scoring forwards to the group. Strome and someone else. Say Kessel. That's a bigger improvement than what we had last year for forwards.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They moved Barrie, but they still had Makar, Toews, Byram and Girard on this run. That team is built on fast transitions. Manson is the only person one on their blue line who wasn’t a puck moving dman.
I don’t know why people bring up Girard he he played less than half the games. Girard has been a brutal playoff performer for the Avs. Johnson took his spot. They had

Toews Makar
Byram Manson
Johnson Johnson

Yeah well last year we spent a fortune and what did we wind up with aside from Hyman? I can’t remember.
Ceci was huge. Keith was solid but overpaid for sure. Foegele up and down.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
If we sign Giroux why not see what Jesse can do in the top 6 for the year with out be yelled at.

Marchment McDavid Draisaitl
Hyman Giroux Puljujarvi
RNH McLeod Yamamoto
Holloway Ryan Foegele

Lots of flexibility as there 6 C in that line up + Holloway can also play C.
That actually looks like a deep set of forwards. Third line is butter soft thought. Actually they are all pretty soft now that I look at it….

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If we sign Giroux why not see what Jesse can do in the top 6 for the year with out be yelled at.

Marchment McDavid Draisaitl
Hyman Giroux Puljujarvi
RNH McLeod Yamamoto
Holloway Ryan Foegele

Lots of flexibility as there 6 C in that line up + Holloway can also play C.
switch Puljujarvi with Brown

North

Jun 25, 2009
People understand that Calgary doesn’t actually have the cap space to offer a massive deal to Kane right?

Even if Gaudreau walks, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, and Kylington are going to take up a huge chunk of what they have available. Also, They have several other signings to make to fill out their roster.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Awesome, we finally get rid of Koskinen and his horrible contract only to replace him with a similar goalie for probably more money. Embarrassing to say the least

I kinda agree with you. Although I do actually think that Campbell is a slight upgrade on Kosk, but not a major one.

The problem is that we don't really have non-trade options. Like, ideally we could trade our first rounder next year (because who cares about that when we only have 3 McDrai years left) for a legit starter. However, that trade simply isn't out there to be had. The goalie UFA market isn't great, so you are left to trades or praying that Skinner is the real deal, which is a bet (as much as I like Skinner) that would be foolish to make.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Really curious to see where Evander Kane gets what he's looking for. His weird contract situation makes it even more difficult. Even if you sign the guy it might just get voided.

I just can't see it.

4x4.5mil seems like a bit of a lowball for him though.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I don’t know why people bring up Girard he he played less than half the games. Girard has been a brutal playoff performer for the Avs. Johnson took his spot. They had

Toews Makar
Byram Manson
Johnson Johnson

Ceci was huge. Keith was solid but overpaid for sure. Foegele up and down.

Thats right I forgot about Ceci, not because he is forgettable, but because we paid him so little. Don’t think of him as a “big money addition”, but was definitely a big impact addition. Obviously if we can sign 3 Ceci’s instead of 1 Gaudreau we’ll be winning a cup sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad