WJC: Rumor: Russia might be allowed to participate in the next WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
According to Match TV that’s sourcing an IIHF executive, Russia might be allowed to participate in the next WJC.

The decision will be made in May, currently the Baltic countries, Finland, Sweden and Czech Republic are against, but majority of the IIHF members including Canada and USA are for it. This will depend on how the voting will go, simple majority will likely let Russia participate.

I guess a lot will depend on whether Sweden, Czech or Finland will boycott the tournament as it might hurt it financially.

Reactions: 23Monahan

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The whole tournament will implode if the Europeans boycott it, quite possibly with lasting damage to international hockey as a whole.
I feel they should start with women or juniors and gauge the response and outcome.

Should be a bit easier to persuade the Europeans to let women or young players participate, potentially under a neutral name..

Reactions: ORRFForever

Joka12

Apr 13, 2022
I think all the other teams that are going to participate in next WJC (except USA, Canada and maybe Switzerland or Slovakia) will boycott if this happens.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
A coup, a peace treaty, an agreement on reparations, could all happen quickly enough for this to be possible. I just didn't think we'd see predictions of a Russian collapse coming through this soon.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
A coup, a peace treaty, an agreement on reparations, could all happen quickly enough for this to be possible. I just didn't think we'd see predictions of a Russian collapse coming through this soon.
This looks more like Russian victory, not collapse, don’t know what you’re on

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
This looks more like Russian victory, not collapse, don’t know what you’re on
I don't see how a conquering nation invading and oppressing its neighbors could be welcome back in international tournaments.

The only way Russia is welcome back is if they've thoroughly collapsed. So I take any prediction of a return as a prediction of Russian collapse, change of government, and acceptance of peace terms.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I don't see how a conquering nation invading and oppressing its neighbors could be welcome back in international tournaments.

The only way Russia is welcome back is if they've thoroughly collapsed. So I take any prediction of a return as a prediction of Russian collapse, change of government, and acceptance of peace terms.
Stop with this nonsense, there’s been a lot of precedents with nations invading other nations and continuing to play in all of the international sports competitions.

Reactions: Realgud

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
This is not going to happen, as the boycotting nations represent a much bigger market share than Russia and it would cause a shake up of the IIHF governing council.

0% this happens in 2023.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Stop with this nonsense, there’s been a lot of precedents with nations invading other nations and continuing to play in all of the international sports cocompetitions.
A bit hypocritical, yes, but there is no point in arguing with them. The war in Ukraine is a new norm. Hence no Russia for many years, if not for decades.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I feel they should start with women or juniors and gauge the response and outcome.

Should be a bit easier to persuade the Europeans to let women or young players participate, potentially under a neutral name..
The thing in juniors is that the WJC is mostly Hockey Canada's cash cow, the key European sponsors won't care all too much if the federations choose to boycott it and the general public in major European hockey countries will be in favor of such action, but it will likely also sour relations between North American and European federations with long-term consequences.

Finding majorities at IIHF meetings with representatives from Kyrgyzstan and Hungary is one thing, but the power balance in international hockey is such that without sufficient consensus between a handful of major hockey powers nothing is going to work in practice.

Even if the North Americans are in principle more open to Russia's inclusion they too have few to gain and much to lose in open conflict with major European federations like Sweden, Finland, Czechia. Maintaining the current status quo ultimately serves everyone better.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
That would only make sense when the war was over or the Russian troops would disappear from Ukraine. Then Russia can take part in sporting events again.

Reactions: Jussi

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
That would only make sense when the war was over or the Russian troops would disappear from Ukraine. Then Russia can take part in sporting events again.
Germany needed to take break after WW2. Russia shouldn't be treated with kid gloves.

Banned until reparations are made and those responsible for war crimes are brought to justice.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017

My question is, what has any of what's going on over there have to do with the junior aged kids who just want to compete and play hockey like any other kid their age?

They didn't start the war they shouldn't be punished continually for what some NPCs would call the great sin of being born in Russia.

Dafuq are they supposed to do?

Reactions: Cowumbus

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
The source is not credible. Just nonsense. I know I will contacting Hockey Canada and telling them what I expect them to do if the IIHF makes this idiotic decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese