Rumor: Rumor & Proposal Thread: "Weekend at Kenny's"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Double retention on Klingberg, full retention on Henrique, send Foegele and Puljujarvi back to Anaheim with the pick return.

I can't see it costing much more than the package teams have been throwing out for the two rentals.

Trade for Nyquist in another deal and you've upgraded on Foegele and Puljujarvi and you've added the puck-moving D you may not even need.

I'm not even going to acknowledge the Karlsson deal because there's nothing to compare it to. It's absolute chaos in terms of what you'd need teams to do to make the finances work. An extra year of Henrique is as easy as retention and sending a single contract back.
You have Anaheim eating almost $5M in real money retention in that circumstance. That's going to cost you a 1st at least . I suspect you would be looking at 2 1sts + to make that deal.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Now that both Chych and Karlsson deals are basically off the table (hopefully) maybe Holland can get on to the things he is capable of putting together,

ST Louis, Columbus and Anaheim all willing to deal and have assets we could use.
Maybe even circle back on Provorov. His last game shows him activating and scoring in a give an go.

Last edited:

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
Honestly I am kind of at the point where you pay the assets for chychryn and if they agree to a deal in merit you turn tell SJ now or never in 3 hours we won’t have the assets to pursue EK here is the final offer for him at 40% take it or leave it you have 2 hours and give them a very compelling deal
The thing you gotta remember about a contract like Karlsson’s is that it can’t be traded until the last minute. Karlsson makes something like $36,000 USD every single day. You need as much of that contract already paid as you possibly can, so even if there is a deal in place, it won’t be executed until the last minute purely for cap reasons.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Why not only 1 defenceman? Make the other team retain salary to bring in 2 defenceman. Kilingberg + Ekholm would be one I would consider. Trade Barrie away add two top 4 defenceman if possible. Klingberg would be a decent rental defenceman. Any combinations of adding two top 4 defenceman, doesn't have to be Ekholm or Klingberg.

Trade Barrie away and that shakes up the defence.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't think there is much out there. I think if anyone is going to get moved it'll be Bouchard as he's not one of Holland's "guys". The rest of the defence Holland has brought in. In saying that it'll have to be one hell of a defender coming back if we're moving Bouch. Most of the dmen available don't seem much better than what we already have.
An asset like Bouchard has the added benefit of being an enticing enough chunk of bait that a team would probably retain on a veteran player and/or accommodate a three team transaction or something of the like. Management will have to get creative.

At this juncture I'm sort of glad we aren't going after the big fish. It's not the popular opinion but we need big two-way players at all the positions if we want to make it out of the West.

Reactions: Raab

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The thing you gotta remember about a contract like Karlsson’s is that it can’t be traded until the last minute. Karlsson makes something like $36,000 USD every single day. You need as much of that contract already paid as you possibly can, so even if there is a deal in place, it won’t be executed until the last minute purely for cap reasons.
What are the cap reasons. From the Oilers perspective his cap hit is the same today as it would be on Friday.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Why not only 1 defenceman? Make the other team retain salary to bring in 2 defenceman. Kilingberg + Ekholm would be one I would consider. Trade Barrie away add two top 4 defenceman if possible. Klingberg would be a decent rental defenceman. Any combinations of adding two top 4 defenceman, doesn't have to be Ekholm or Klingberg.

Trade Barrie away and that shakes up the defence.
Why would you trade Barrie? He’s been outstanding this year and part of our historic PP. If you are not upgrading on him why would you trade him?

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I think Ceci is still not playing 100%, he got hurt in preseason and was just sort of shoved into the season opener. I think you can (and should) LTIR him for the rest of the season and grab Jensen, Dowd, and upgrade on a winger

Reactions: Oilhawks

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
What are the cap reasons. From the Oilers perspective his cap hit is the same today as it would be on Friday.
If karlsson’s pro-rated cap hit for this season is $3.9 million today (~1/3 of 11.5) and it will be $3.7 million on the deadline than you wait because it lowers this seasons cap hit by ~$200,000.

Reactions: Oilmageddon

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If karlsson’s pro-rated cap hit for this season is $3.9 million today (~1/3 of 11.5) and it will be $3.7 million on the deadline than you wait because it lowers this seasons cap hit by ~$200,000.
It does not work that way for the Oilers since they are in LTIR and have not accrued cap space. To add Karlsson at full cap they need $11.5M in cap space today or on Friday.

Reactions: TB12

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Trust me I'm as pro Bouchard as anyone you're preaching to the choir. He's probably our smartest/most gifted even strength offense dman on the team. I'm all for giving him more opportunities with the big boys and hopefully the consistency will improve as he gains experience.

I'm very anti Broberg/Bouchard trade. They're playing great in their role, they have the talent, and they'll keep improving. Barrie/Kulak are finished products/finished stories and they just aren't a fit for the team's needs.
Holland is not shipping out a guy he just signed to a 4 year contract. Kulak should be the 3rd pairing guy for what he's getting paid. Barrie could be moved, I just don't see any upgrades in the same price range. To me I think we see a hockey deal this summer dependent upon what Bouchard is asking for. The more I watch Quinn Hughes, the more I am disappointed we could not move up in the draft.

The current pairings are:

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Barrie
Broberg-Bouchard

I don't see how we really improve that without a substantial upgrade. Kulak would ideally be on the 3rd pairing, and Broberg playing with a vet. It seems they're trying to shelter the young guys a bit.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
A team we could see a move with depending how their week goes is Detroit. They have 4 games between now and the deadline. If they're 6 points out of a wildcard spot maybe we see a deal. Something like Hronek+Bertuzzi for Bouchard+Yamamoto+pick could make some sense with Detroit retaining on Bertuzzi. Then move Puljujarvi+ to Philly for Tippett.

RNH-Mcdavid-Bertuzzi
Kane-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-Mcleod-Tippett

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Hronek
Broberg-Barrie

Seems like a well balanced team. Just my spitballing fantasy hockey trades lol

An asset like Bouchard has the added benefit of being an enticing enough chunk of bait that a team would probably retain on a veteran player and/or accommodate a three team transaction or something of the like. Management will have to get creative.

At this juncture I'm sort of glad we aren't going after the big fish. It's not the popular opinion but we need big two-way players at all the positions if we want to make it out of the West.
I agree we are too small. In the playoffs our offence will get shutdown when the checking gets tighter. Need a team that can grind through that. Which is why I think Tippett and Bertuzzi could be guys we target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad