Rumor: Rumor & Proposal Thread: "Weekend at Kenny's"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston Butterworth

Feb 7, 2008
Edmonton
This keeps up ill have to dust off my old Bruins hat .

download (1).jpeg

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I generally agree with this and I usually hate burning assets on rentals BUT this is a unique circumstance. The clock is ticking on the McDrai contracts, the west is right there to be had and the players with term are either too pricey or the trades too complicated because of contract so if it's the rental market they need to dip into to bring in an impact players, just give up the 1st and make a run. The 1st isn't likely to contribute in a meaningful way until well after the McDrai contracts expire, just look at top 10 picks like Broberg and Bouchard that are still not established 4-5 years in.
The Oilers will trade their 1st this year. But I'm not convinced that it'll be on a rental.

The Oilers with or without a big add are going to be in the mix in the West. I haven’t seen any teams in our conference make a noticeable jump ahead of everyone else. And the teams that we're concerned about facing are having the same reservations about the market as Holland is. He has to be concerned about how they can be ahead of those teams next year as well.

The fact of the matter is that anyone that is removed from this roster to clear cap has to be replaced. I think we're probably looking at a trade that sees someone tangibly improved upon versus the excitement of a flashy name coming in for a one-off.

That being said, I'm on record pushing pretty hard for a look at a Toews or an O'Reilly and understand the potential benefits of certain rental trades. I'm not completely against them.

North

Jun 25, 2009
@Fourier to clarify I believe SJ would retain, I don’t believe a third team would facilitate a trade by retaining as well.

Reactions: Faelko

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So both Toronto and Boston can get double retention to make something work, Holland won’t be able to

The Oilers will trade their 1st this year. But I'm not convinced that it'll be on a rental.

The Oilers with or without a big add are going to be in the mix in the West. I haven’t seen any teams in our conference make a noticeable jump ahead of everyone else. And the teams that we're concerned about facing are having the same reservations about the market as Holland is. He has to be concerned about how they can be ahead of those teams next year as well.

The fact of the matter is that anyone that is removed from this roster to clear cap has to be replaced. I think we're probably looking at a trade that sees someone tangibly improved upon versus the excitement of a flashy name coming in for a one-off.

That being said, I'm on record pushing pretty hard for a look at a Toews or an O'Reilly and understand the potential benefits of certain rental trades. I'm not completely against them.
I don’t think we trade our first till the draft, and only to trade down a few picks.

Reactions: Macheteops

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
@Fourier to clarify I believe SJ would retain, I don’t believe a third team would facilitate a trade by retaining as well.
Getting a third party to retain on multiple years is admittedly going to be tougher. But it depends on what you pay and what the circumstances of the team are. In the case of Karlson a 4 year retention of $1M costs $3.4M in real dollars. That is less than Chicago is paying for Zaitsev who is barely and NHL player right now. The cost was a second and a 4th. Now multi-year retention would cost more because of the opportunity cost to ty up a slot. But there is no reason the Oilers would have to pay the full price. SJ may not want to retain more but to make the deal happen they could throw in part of the cost of the third teams retention. The Oilers give a 2nd and a 4th. Sj throws in a third. If you are the Ducks with $43M in cap space and likely a 3-5 year rebuild would 3 draft choices be enough to ty up a retentions slot? The Oilers could also take back a guy like De Leo.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Feels like we're running out of options a week before the deadline, assuming Kane goes to the Rangers and Karlsson stays put.
Who cares about Kane. Only Canadian teams where he would fit in would be in Calgary or Toronto. Adding Kane does nothing to this team.

Reactions: Darkwinter

North

Jun 25, 2009
Getting a third party to retain on multiple years is admittedly going to be tougher. But it depends on what you pay and what the circumstances of the team are. In the case of Karlson a 4 year retention of $1M costs $3.4M in real dollars. That is less than Chicago is paying for Zaitsev who is barely and NHL player right now. The cost was a second and a 4th. Now multi-year retention would cost more because of the opportunity cost to ty up a slot. But there is no reason the Oilers would have to pay the full price. SJ may not want to retain more but to make the deal happen they could throw in part of the cost of the third teams retention. The Oilers give a 2nd and a 4th. Sj throws in a third. If you are the Ducks with $43M in cap space and likely a 3-5 year rebuild would 3 draft choices be enough to ty up a retentions slot? The Oilers could also take back a guy like De Leo.

I actually think SJ has skewed perception of Karlsson’s value at this point. He’s putting up Norris level numbers so SJ probably thinks he’s more valuable than he is.

Last edited:

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I actually SJ has skewed perception of Karlsson’s value at this point. He’s putting up Norris level numbers so SJ probably thinks he’s more valuable than he is.

With the year he is having, Karlsson's value has increased to "tradeable with retention," up from "arguably the worst contract in the league."

I also don't think San Jose is going to have access to an expanded market for Karlsson in the summer to the extent that some think. If they're going to trade him, now might be the best possible time.

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
Look how many times Ceci got the puck and literally shot it wide into an Oilers chest in the o zone. I dream about Karlsson getting a puck like that and actually walking the line and getting a shot on net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad