Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
last one hit 1000

National Hockey League trade deadline looming

Team A | Acquired | Team B | Acquired
:flyers|Huskins | :wings |conditional 7th 2014
:blues|Leopold| :sabres|2nd 2013 and conditional 4th** Blues need to win one round in playoffs--if not it is a 5th rounder
:sharks|4th rounder| :hawks|Michael Handzus
:ducks|Harry Zolnierczyk| :flyers| Jay Rosehill.
:kings|regehr| :sabres|2 second round picks
:flames|2013 first rounder, Reto Berra and Mark Cundari| :blues|Jay Boy
:nucks|Roy| :stars|2nd + Kevin Connauton
:nhl|TBA| :nhl|TBA
:nhl|TBA| :nhl|TBA

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
It's time to start identifying who isn't going to be here in the future, and jettisoning those players. We are only 3 points out of a playoff spot, but we have a lot of D-men and we have Harty in OKC, so we can probably move a forward and a D-man regardless.

I think we hold onto Hemsky, it seems like teams want to rip us off a bit for that contract.

I'd be trying to move Belanger or Petrell to make room for Harty. I'd also consider moving Ryan Jones if he garnered a good draft pick.

I'd be trying to move Whitney, maybe Fistric if he garners a good draft pick.

I'd be selling instead of buying, but depth selling, so we still have a shot at playoffs.

Maybe Khabibulin if we get a good draft pick.

If I'm Tambo, I let Olczyk handle the phones on this minor stuff until deadline day, while me and Lowe hammer hard on getting the Smid extension done.

In the summer, we can keep our eyes and ears open for that big forward or that No.2 D-man, but we can also fix the bottom six, which is VERY important.

Last edited:

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
i dont get why people are impatient for tambo to do something.

The only thing I'm impatient to see Tamblowe do is file for unemployment. We're impatient because there's a lot of work to be done but nervous about the men who are in the position to do it.

Or do you really think that youth alone will turn this team around...?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I was compeltly fine with Tambo sitting back in years 1-3 of the rebuild, trading some vets and collecting picks. That is what Chi and Pitt both did.

He didnt help the team in the short run but he did saddle us with any bad contracts (Feaster) or trade away picks for a short term gain (Burke). He got a whack of high picks and prospects.

But as the rebuild progresses so does his need to bring in vets or established players. Chicago was able to bring in pieces to surround Toews, Kane, Seabrook and Barker (lol but he was a top 3 pick) They brought in Sharp, Hossa, Campbell and some other pieces.

The Oilers have to build around the big 5 and hope Klefbom turns out strong like Keith did. I would be ok with one big trade that addresses our need.

But I hope he makes some trades. He may win some, he may lose some, but the team cant get much worse, but it can get much better from bringing in a surrounding cast.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
On the condition:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 26m

BUF gets 2nd round pick and conditional 5th round pick for Leopold. 5th rder becomes a 4th if STL wins a playoff series.

Matt Ryan

Falcons Rise Up
Oct 4, 2011
San Francisco
I was compeltly fine with Tambo sitting back in years 1-3 of the rebuild, trading some vets and collecting picks. That is what Chi and Pitt both did.

He didnt help the team in the short run but he did saddle us with any bad contracts (Feaster) or trade away picks for a short term gain (Burke). He got a whack of high picks and prospects.

But as the rebuild progresses so does his need to bring in vets or established players. Chicago was able to bring in pieces to surround Toews, Kane, Seabrook and Barker (lol but he was a top 3 pick) They brought in Sharp, Hossa, Campbell and some other pieces.

The Oilers have to build around the big 5 and hope Klefbom turns out strong like Keith did. I would be ok with one big trade that addresses our need.

But I hope he makes some trades. He may win some, he may lose some, but the team cant get much worse, but it can get much better from bringing in a surrounding cast.

I mean yeah but that's the offseason, and my comment was generally referring to the trade deadline. I dont think we should be quick to make moves because at this point we are neither buyers nor sellers. I would be perfectly OK if we continued with the roster we have and played out the season (unless an offer too good to refuse comes but meh).

The way I see it is everyone wants us to sell Whitney so we dont lose him to UFA. Well I think it's justifiable to keep him. He has been playing well, and there's a small chance we can sneak into the playoffs. It's not like a late second rounder will amount to anything anyway. It also sends the message to the team that "this is not our year" which may be true, but if you become sellers, you've already admitted defeat.

Let's just deal with it in the off season

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I mean yeah but that's the offseason, and my comment was generally referring to the trade deadline. I dont think we should be quick to make moves because at this point we are neither buyers nor sellers. I would be perfectly OK if we continued with the roster we have and played out the season (unless an offer too good to refuse comes but meh).

The way I see it is everyone wants us to sell Whitney so we dont lose him to UFA. Well I think it's justifiable to keep him. He has been playing well, and there's a small chance we can sneak into the playoffs. It's not like a late second rounder will amount to anything anyway. It also sends the message to the team that "this is not our year" which may be true, but if you become sellers, you've already admitted defeat.

Let's just deal with it in the off season

Deep draft, so that late second rounder may have early second rounder value, which is great as long as we aren't drafting Moroz.

I agree with the message comment (Craig Button told his story of how he didn't trade Tommy Albelin because of that), maybe Tambo attempts to trade some of these rentals, like Whitney, for players that can play now.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
2nd and 4th for Leopold and another defenseman off the market. It's looking like we can get some nice value for Whitney.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

same here. If there's a deal that can benefit us moving forward, do it, but we're not competing this year. Make a splash in free agency this offseason if possible, but don't waste assets just for the sake of appearing active

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Anyone else think it peculiar that every year right before the deadline the Canucks put someone on LTIR, freeing up cap space where they would otherwise have none.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
We will know after the game on Monday where we will be. If we are 5 points or more out then there is no way we will make the playoffs. There is too many teams to climb over, not many games left and too many three point games.

If we can't sign Smid you have to deal him.
Whitney if we can get what dmen are going for at this time you have to do it.
Hemsky, I would keep him, having his skill is very nice. See what he is worth in the off season.
Jones I would move him as Harti can replace what he has brought.
Fistric I like him but if he is not going to be resigned we can get at least what Murray got from PIT.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
There is no way that Petry get moved, he is a puck moving dman and we don't have enough of those dmen as is. I see Whitney and Smid as the dmen moving.

This. Unless we can package Petry with Whitney and something to get a #1 dman (extremely unlikely), I don't see why we would possibly move him. He's turned into a whipping boy this year, but he's still a good 2 way player with a good breakout pass and easily the best skater out of all our dmen

Koto

May 3, 2011
why would we trade petry?

tambo: well because potter is emerging in that role. one is enough.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Oilers won't trade Petry. They value RHD big time.

If MacT is watching Habs it's for Tinordi. There was that rumor a while back from RDS that said Tinordi for Smid (maybe). Or at least they sort of hinted at it. Maybe we can get a 1st and Tinordi for Smid in the current market. Yeah yeah I know we need actual players and not picks or prospects but it would be smart asset mgmnt if they have deemed Smid to expensive to retain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad