Rumor: NBA to announce expansion to Las Vegas and Seattle

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Yeah. The NBA is a bad product, but expansion makes so much sense financially.

The NBA has 15 guys max per roster, the smallest of all the big sports leagues. The NBA by "percentage of talent pool" could easily have 40+ teams and be fine.
Agreed

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yeah. The NBA is a bad product, but expansion makes so much sense financially.

The NBA has 15 guys max per roster, the smallest of all the big sports leagues. The NBA by "percentage of talent pool" could easily have 40+ teams and be fine.
then why have the WNBA and the G-League at all, Kev, ever notice why the majority of NBA teams now outright own an affiliation, sound familiar to why the NHL owns the majority of the AHL since the last trend in the last decade or so.....

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
then why have the WNBA and the G-League at all
Completely ignoring the fact that saying this makes you sound utterly silly:

- G-League teams are very clearly needed because the NBA has had basically no minor league system for years, and it serves as a good place to stash talent that's not good enough to crack an opening night roster, or are subbing in for injured players, while also serving as good constant tenants for smaller arenas in suburban cities

- WNBA teams serve effectively different demographics and ideals, why you brought them up while basically ignoring the fact that for years, high level women's talent had no professional league for generations and instead had only international play and the college ranks to play in, I have no idea

ever notice why the majority of NBA teams now outright own an affiliation, sound familiar to why the NHL owns the majority of the AHL since the last trend in the last decade or so.....

It's almost like the minor leagues, by a simple process, across all sports are being designed in a top down mold to serve as stepping stones to the big league parent club. The time of independent minor league teams are effectively dead, with a few stragglers still holding on.

Why you think this is a smoking gun argument to the point about the (frankly, correct) assumption that the NBA could support many more expansion teams considering the relatively small roster sizes, I do not know.

Reactions: roccerfeller

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

This week on Vegas PBS' Nevada Week (starting ~midway through episode), a discussion on potential expansion to Las Vegas by the NBA. Silver has admitted that Seattle and Las Vegas are attractive destinations for expansion. Need to finish new CBA negotiations and TV deals (which could be double the last deal) before the league will look at expansion. Possible starting point for expansion fee: $4B. Might it be Foley entertainment group, perhaps teaming up with others to submit bid?

Seattle and Vegas probable locations.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

This week on Vegas PBS' Nevada Week (starting ~midway through episode), a discussion on potential expansion to Las Vegas by the NBA. Silver has admitted that Seattle and Las Vegas are attractive destinations for expansion. Need to finish new CBA negotiations and TV deals (which could be double the last deal) before the league will look at expansion. Possible starting point for expansion fee: $4B. Might it be Foley entertainment group, perhaps teaming up with others to submit bid?

Seattle and Vegas probable locations.

The league is certainly priming the pump with the summer league and now in season tournament being here in town

Reactions: Voight

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That was a massive mistake by the nba when they expanded into Canada. Got into a fit when Orlando landed back to back lottery wins to get Shaq and the pick that they moved that was Webber. Set them up.

Even with without top picks LV is going to be a destination city.

Yeah, the Raptors and grizzlies were not allowed to pick #1 overall for the first 5 years of their existence, if I recall correctly.

Not only that, but in the first year, the Grizzlies and raptors picked 6th and 7th respectively.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yeah, the Raptors and grizzlies were not allowed to pick #1 overall for the first 5 years of their existence, if I recall correctly.

Not only that, but in the first year, the Grizzlies and raptors picked 6th and 7th respectively.

All because owners got mad that the Magic were able to draft Shaq and went from being garbage to one of the leagues best teams.

They thought the Magic didn't "pay their dues" :facepalm:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
All because owners got mad that the Magic were able to draft Shaq and went from being garbage to one of the leagues best teams.

They thought the Magic didn't "pay their dues" :facepalm:

This rule likely prevented Tim Duncan from going to vancouver.

The raptors did well to hit big on their first round picks despite the handicap. Guys like stoudamire, carter, and McGrady were great selections. Carter especially got that franchise off the ground and running.

Vancouver.... Not so much. Shareef was the best of the lot, but not a superstar. Bibby was fine, but again, not a franchise changer. Big country was a flash in the pan. Steve Francis demanded a trade as soon as he was drafted.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think that will happen in the NBA. I’d think enough owners, especially ones involved with the NHL too, have seen the rewards Vegas and Seattle have given them, that they won’t turf them in the beginning because that helps no one.

On the other hand, there’s going to be guys currently in the league who see both places with a blank canvas on the salary cap and an obvious opportunity, especially in Vegas.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I don’t think that will happen in the NBA. I’d think enough owners, especially ones involved with the NHL too, have seen the rewards Vegas and Seattle have given them, that they won’t turf them in the beginning because that helps no one.

On the other hand, there’s going to be guys currently in the league who see both places with a blank canvas on the salary cap and an obvious opportunity, especially in Vegas.

I won't pretend to understand the NBA's thinking since I'm really not invested in the league like baseball or hockey.

But the NBA's nature is that of a "mercenary" league where groups of players go where they can win. It's by far the lowest level of "home grown, drafted" teams, and more about whom you lure or trade for; and players pick their teams in NBA far more than any other league.

I think that the NBA could go either way with the expansion draft rules, because CAP SPACE is far more important than the #4 guy on any team's roster.

An expansion team has nothing but cap space. Seattle and Vegas will be great places to play. It really doesn't matter how the NBA sets their rules, because Seattle and Vegas will have way more of an advantage in building a team in today's game than Vancouver ever did simply because of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad