Rumor: Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 2: It's not how big you are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The problem is he is a 5th defence man this year... Where when he is healthy he is a #2... So with him struggling we basically traded a #2 dman for a #5...

So if he continues to play how he is playing we need another top 4 dman.. If he can get back to form than he can fill that hole...

Playing Potter every night because Whitney is sucking is a problem

Hence why some of us said to build a defense that didn't have Whitney in it at all this year.

Our top 4 need to be better, our offense needs to be better in two-way play. Blaming the bottom pairing is just a small part of the issue.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
CGY claims MacDonald off Waivers from DET, Ellis clear Waivers, and EDM places Hordichuk on Waivers.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Whitney will always be hurt. His injury is chronic and it has shown over the past two seasons. He may get you a few points here or there but he isn't a #2 anymore.

If you can get an 82 game defenseman for him, you don't even think, you just do.

At this beginning of the year a lot of people (Bob Stauffer, Gregor, Spec) said that the Oilers chances of making the playoffs won't be determined on how well the kids play, it will most likely be determined on how well Dubnyk, Hemsky and Whitney play...

Dubnyk has been unreal, Hemsky is playing good this year and great in his last 5 games, Whitney has been an absolute disaster..

He is diminishing his value by the way he is playing as well so it is a bad situation for both him and the team, he is on a contract year and the team can't get any value for him in a trade..

I really hope they figure something out...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Normally I would agree but given the Flyers' struggles this year.

If we could give them Hemsky + a defensive prospect, someone that has a decent breakout - their transition game sucks right now because they lost Pronger & Carle.

Would you trade Hemsky & say Petry for Schenn?

Schenn and Couturier are cheap players though. They'll sooner move Voracek for help.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At this beginning of the year a lot of people (Bob Stauffer, Gregor, Spec) said that the Oilers chances of making the playoffs won't be determined on how well the kids play, it will most likely be determined on how well Dubnyk, Hemsky and Whitney play...

Dubnyk has been unreal, Hemsky is playing good this year and great in his last 5 games, Whitney has been an absolute disaster..

He is diminishing his value by the way he is playing as well so it is a bad situation for both him and the team, he is on a contract year and the team can't get any value for him in a trade..

I really hope they figure something out...
Problem is you waive Whitney and then what? Really think Potter is going to be a better option?

I guess one could hope for Peckham to get back into things.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Problem is you waive Whitney and then what? Really think Potter is going to be a better option?

I guess one could hope for Peckham to get back into things.

No you don't waive Whitney, that would just be donating him to another team.. Cap space is not a problem for this team so waiving him is pointless..

I guess the best scenario would be Whitney+ for a better defence man, or him getting back to top 4 form.. I realize he will never be at 100% but Whitney at 80% is still better than Potter...

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I don't think people realize how big of an impact Hemsky has on our team.. If you trade him for a third line centre or a defence man than we create a GIGANTIC hole on our 2nd line and 2nd PP unit...

We would not have a set-up man on the half boards for our #2PP..which is better than our #1 currently..

Gagner has got the majority of his assists from giving the puck to Hemsky some where in the Neutral zone than Hemsky doing the rest...

A healthy Hemsky is of great value to the Oilers and for that reason I can not see him being moved unless we are clearly out of the playoff race come trade deadline and they acquire a younger player projected to fill his place..

With all due respect, I really hate this sort of apocalyptic view of this team without Hemsky.

Hemsky is a terrific player when healthy. I don't think anyone will argue that. The issue is at some point in the future, maybe as early as next season, we might not have Hemsky on the team. Not only that but it's becoming pretty obvious that the top-6 has a bit of an imbalance. As highlighted by the lack of ES scoring.

To not even consider trading Hemsky when we're sitting 30th for ES GF(Florida, mother ****ing Florida has scored more at ES than us) and the fact that for the majority of the season so far we've looked poor doesn't make sense to me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No you don't waive Whitney, that would just be donating him to another team.. Cap space is not a problem for this team so waiving him is pointless..

I guess the best scenario would be Whitney+ for a better defence man, or him getting back to top 4 form.. I realize he will never be at 100% but Whitney at 80% is still better than Potter...

And why would a team do Whitney plus for a better d-man?

It's like Gagner+ for a bigger Gagner, teams just don't do it.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
To not even consider trading Hemsky when we're sitting 30th for ES GF(Florida, mother ****ing Florida has scored more at ES than us) and the fact that for the majority of the season so far we've looked poor doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't make sense when the guy you are trading is responsible for a good chunk of what offense there is, no?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Players get hot and cold a good GM needs to stick to a plan and not waffle every two months much like we as fans do. the Oilers should already know if Hemksy and Gagner are in the long term plans for the team. If they are don't trade them, if however they have determined that they need more size or grit on wing and center then they should be for sure talking trade even if these two guys have been very good this year.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
The Oilers should make a play for Tyler Myers.

What would you propose to send Buffalo's way? He's clearly slumping but I doubt they're panicking and looking to sell him off for whatever they can get. Despite his crappy start, I bet he'd still command a very high price.

Speaking of proposals, I hope that the Oilers can come to some sort of terms with Cheechoo, if there realistically is a roster spot for it. 2-way deal at league minimum if he'll take it, and then bring him in next time a winger goes down (or for Smyth, if he continues to struggle).

From the highlights I've seen of him this far, he doesn't look that slow. I see him getting around defensemen and keeping up with the play, and the guy has 12 pts in 7 games after not playing all season. I think he's warranted a shot with the big club.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Needles said:
2013-2014 Edmonton Oilers

Taylor Hall ($6M) - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($3,75M) - Jordan Eberle ($6M)
Ryan Clowe ($4M) - Sam Gagner ($4M) - Nail Yakupov ($3,75M)
Teemu Hartikainen ($1M)- Smith/Wilson ($2M) - Ryan Jones ($2,5M)/Magnus Pääjärvi (2,5M)
Bryan Bickell ($0,9M) - Zac Rinaldo ($0,9M) - Colton Orr ($0,9M)
Lennart Petrell ($0,9M), Ben Eager ($1,1M)

Nick Schultz ($3,5M) - Justin Schultz ($3,75M)
Ladislav Smid ($3M) - Jeff Petry ($1,75M)
Jonathan Blum (~$2M) - Mark Fistric ($1,5M)
Oscar Klefblom ($1,3M), Corey Potter ($0,75M)

Devan Dubnyk ($3,5M)
José Théodore ($1,5M)

1:20 ->

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
It doesn't make sense when the guy you are trading is responsible for a good chunk of what offense there is, no?

It all depends on the return. If someone offer Hemsky for a guy who has the skillset to compliment our young guys better, and could lead to them getting going, you have to at the very least consider it.

Picks and prospects are a definite no-no though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Who is available?...Once again, Derick Brassard's name is coming up. That's been an uneasy marriage, to say the least. The Columbus Blue Jackets have three first-round picks next year -- their own and one each from the Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers. I can't imagine they'd trade their own for anything less than a superstud, but the other two are strong commodities in a deep draft.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...s-devils-out-to-prove-last-year-no-fluke.html

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
It all depends on the return. If someone offer Hemsky for a guy who has the skillset to compliment our young guys better, and could lead to them getting going, you have to at the very least consider it.

Picks and prospects are a definite no-no though.

For example? I gather you are thinking of a player "type" more than any specific player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad