Rumor: Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 2: It's not how big you are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Don't you think Colorado would want future assets and draft picks?

Their team is young and they have so many holes that they can't possibly retool.

I don't know, I'm not an Avs fan not do I follow the team at all.

I believe that they'd want someone to help them now and some futures. IMO it makes little sense for them to deal him for picks unless it was a very enticing pick package ie. a couple of 1sts from a team that isn't all that great.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
OK, how about this. Build a trade around these pieces, add assets if necessary:

To Nashville: Ales Hemsky
To Edmonton: Colin Wlson/Craig Smith, Jonathon Blum

July 1st:

Buy out Horcoff. Don't re-sign Whitney. Trade Belanger. Trade Smyth. Get rid of the veterans and start bringing in winning mentality, character & toughness. Give Eberle the "C".

Sign Ryan Clowe or Nathan Horton(~4M, 2-3 years)
Sign Bryan Bickell (~0,9M, 2-3 years)
Sign Colton Orr (~0,9M, 1-2 years)
Sign Zac Rinaldo (~0,9M, 2-3 years)
Sign José Théodore (~1,5M, 1 year)

2013-2014 Edmonton Oilers

Taylor Hall ($6M) - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($3,75M) - Jordan Eberle ($6M)
Ryan Clowe ($4M) - Sam Gagner ($4M) - Nail Yakupov ($3,75M)
Teemu Hartikainen ($1M)- Smith/Wilson ($2M) - Ryan Jones ($2,5M)/Magnus Pääjärvi (2,5M)
Bryan Bickell ($0,9M) - Zac Rinaldo ($0,9M) - Colton Orr ($0,9M)
Lennart Petrell ($0,9M), Ben Eager ($1,1M)

Nick Schultz ($3,5M) - Justin Schultz ($3,75M)
Ladislav Smid ($3M) - Jeff Petry ($1,75M)
Jonathan Blum (~$2M) - Mark Fistric ($1,5M)
Oscar Klefblom ($1,3M), Corey Potter ($0,75M)

Devan Dubnyk ($3,5M)
José Théodore ($1,5M)

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
Ryan O'Rielly

Don't know much about this young man. Havent seen a post about aquiring him and maybe there is a reason. Listed at 6" 205 hes alot bigger then gagner. Should the oilers be intrested in him or is he just another young skill player?

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
One trade that will never ever happen but would solve so many problems for the Oilers is:

Gagner and Yak
for
RoR and Landeskog

Oilers get defensively strong forwards and grit with one move. Of course Avs would never move Landy, never mind to division rival

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Penner has been a healthy scratch pretty much all season, 3 games played so far. Sutter must hate him, not sure why the Kings resigned him.

His value would be pretty much zero and the kings could use a shake up deal. The Oilers are in a similar situation so we might be low risk partners.

Whitney or Smyth might be fair value (almost nil).

MPStoEberletoHall*

One trade that will never ever happen but would solve so many problems for the Oilers is:

Gagner and Yak
for
RoR and Landeskog

Oilers get defensively strong forwards and grit with one move. Of course Avs would never move Landy, never mind to division rival

Landeskog-RNH-Eberle
Hall-ROR-Hemsky

:yo:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
does anyone think Tambo has the gonads to pull off a blockbuster? a deal inwhich there is a chance he could either look brilliant or look bad? a deal inwhich there is risk?

i'll believe it when i see it.

I think Tambo is a guy who looks at an offer and thinks 'my assests going out could end up being better then the assets coming in, so no deal'. he doesn't think about things like 'does this deal fill a need' or 'will this trade make us a better team'.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
PLenty bigger than Gagner...

1" and 5 Lbs bigger.. most sites peg him at 200 Lbs which is par with Gag's weight.

We could use another center tho. It's a matter of who the Oilers are willing to give up to land him. Has promise by the looks of things and the few games i've seen him in.

Last edited:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Going to be tough to get him with Colorado in our division. He'd be a great fit but it would take an overpay from a team like Colorado I feel.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
does anyone think Tambo has the gonads to pull off a blockbuster? a deal inwhich there is a chance he could either look brilliant or look bad? a deal inwhich there is risk?

i'll believe it when i see it.

I think Tambo is a guy who looks at an offer and thinks 'my assests going out could end up being better then the assets coming in, so no deal'. he doesn't think about things like 'does this deal fill a need' or 'will this trade make us a better team'.

I think he's getting to the point where if we're in the bottom five again his job is in jeopardy. If this team doesn't catapult up the standings to the point where we're playing meaningful games with a few weeks left in the season I think he might be getting the axe. Wouldn't surprise me to see a bold move around the deadline.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
PLenty bigger than Gagner...

1" and 5 Lbs bigger.. most sites peg him at 200 Lbs which is par with Gag's weight.

We could use another center tho. It's a matter of who the Oilers are willing to give up to land him. Has promise by the looks of things and the few games i've seen him in.

Regardless of size, O'Reilly plays much stronger on the puck than Gagner.

He's better at face offs and miles better in his own zone.

He's also capable of potting 50-60 points, just like Sam.

Basically he's the perfect second line centre.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
Regardless of size, O'Reilly plays much stronger on the puck than Gagner.

He's better at face offs and miles better in his own zone.

He's also capable of potting 50-60 points, just like Sam.

Basically he's the perfect second line centre.

Too bad right now, Gags is our #1 Center.

Plus his relationship with Justin Schultz (last night during the game, heard that Gags was a main reason he signed here) I can't possibly see Gagner being traded, I think he is part of the core. And if the Oilers get a big Center in the offseason, Gagner can easily slide over to the wing.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Hemsky & Gagner are the only valuable forwards we have who we could trade.

Philly needs a scoring winger to replace Jagr. I wonder what it would take to pry out Schenn or Couturier?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hemsky & Gagner are the only valuable forwards we have who we could trade.

Philly needs a scoring winger to replace Jagr. I wonder what it would take to pry out Schenn or Couturier?

One of the big 4 or they aren't moving them.

Feb 9, 2013

Plus his relationship with Justin Schultz (last night during the game, heard that Gags was a main reason he signed here) I can't possibly see Gagner being traded, I think he is part of the core. And if the Oilers get a big Center in the offseason, Gagner can easily slide over to the wing.

It is my position that 'we' need a better option than Gagner at top six center (whether that be first or second line... or, more accurately, one-a and one-b). I would be fine seeing Gagner on the wing, if the guy centering his line brings the attributes that Gagner (and many of 'our' top six) lack. There is no denying Gagner's heart. Granted Gagner on wing would probably mean Hemsky is dealt, as neither has any business being on the third or fourth lines.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton

Gagner is hot right now. That doesn't make him the #1 C.

You have to give to get. If you want a top 6 centre who is defensively responsible and can win face offs, Gagner + a pick or one of the big 5 need to be shipped out.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think people realize how big of an impact Hemsky has on our team.. If you trade him for a third line centre or a defence man than we create a GIGANTIC hole on our 2nd line and 2nd PP unit...

We would not have a set-up man on the half boards for our #2PP..which is better than our #1 currently..

Gagner has got the majority of his assists from giving the puck to Hemsky some where in the Neutral zone than Hemsky doing the rest...

A healthy Hemsky is of great value to the Oilers and for that reason I can not see him being moved unless we are clearly out of the playoff race come trade deadline and they acquire a younger player projected to fill his place..

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think people realize how big of an impact Hemsky has on our team.. If you trade him for a third line centre or a defence man than we create a GIGANTIC hole on our 2nd line and 2nd PP unit...

We would not have a set-up man on the half boards for our #2PP..which is better than our #1 currently..

Gagner has got the majority of his assists from giving the puck to Hemsky some where in the Neutral zone than Hemsky doing the rest...

A healthy Hemsky is of great value to the Oilers and for that reason I can not see him being moved unless we are clearly out of the playoff race come trade deadline and they acquire a younger player projected to fill his place..

The posters in this forum cannot be swayed.

We need Coke machines.

Coke machines = playoffs

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
The posters in this forum cannot be swayed.

We need Coke machines.

Coke machines = playoffs

Yeah Dustin Penner the coke machine really worked out great for us..
The Oilers don't necessarily need bigger guys, they just need players who play with more grit.
I have a feeling that once Taylor Hall fills out more he will be a lot more physical..

The gaping hole on this team is defence.. I don't think any one can attest to that..
They need to do something with Whitney...whether that be motivation or a trade..
Even if they do a 1 for 1 for another pending UFA I would be happy with it.

This home stand and long ass road trip is going to be a determining point of whether or not this team makes the post season this year.. Right now would be a perfect time for a trade. We have a break from Tuesday night till Saturday night for the new player to learn the system.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah Dustin Penner the coke machine really worked out great for us..
The Oilers don't necessarily need bigger guys, they just need players who play with more grit.
I have a feeling that once Taylor Hall fills out more he will be a lot more physical..

The gaping hole on this team is defence.. I don't think any one can attest to that..
They need to do something with Whitney...whether that be motivation or a trade..
Even if they do a 1 for 1 for another pending UFA I would be happy with it.

This home stand and long ass road trip is going to be a determining point of whether or not this team makes the post season this year.. Right now would be a perfect time for a trade. We have a break from Tuesday night till Saturday night for the new player to learn the system.
Why is the guy that is 5th on this team for ES toi the issue? What was Whitney's TOI yesterday when we were outshot 40-14?

Whitney is a problem yes, but he is far from the issue on this team.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
One of the big 4 or they aren't moving them.

Normally I would agree but given the Flyers' struggles this year.

If we could give them Hemsky + a defensive prospect, someone that has a decent breakout - their transition game sucks right now because they lost Pronger & Carle.

Would you trade Hemsky & say Petry for Schenn?

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Why is the guy that is 5th on this team for ES toi the issue? What was Whitney's TOI yesterday when we were outshot 40-14?

Whitney is a problem yes, but he is far from the issue on this team.

The problem is he is a 5th defence man this year... Where when he is healthy he is a #2... So with him struggling we basically traded a #2 dman for a #5...

So if he continues to play how he is playing we need another top 4 dman.. If he can get back to form than he can fill that hole...

Playing Potter every night because Whitney is sucking is a problem

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The problem is he is a 5th defence man this year... Where when he is healthy he is a #2... So with him struggling we basically traded a #2 dman for a #5...

So if he continues to play how he is playing we need another top 4 dman.. If he can get back to form than he can fill that hole...

Playing Potter every night because Whitney is sucking is a problem

Whitney will always be hurt. His injury is chronic and it has shown over the past two seasons. He may get you a few points here or there but he isn't a #2 anymore.

If you can get an 82 game defenseman for him, you don't even think, you just do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad