ATD: Rules - Discussion - Trades Thread

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm not super sure how I should evaluate kickers. Old timey guys had percentages that wouldn't have even gotten you into training camp nowadays, but were winning league MVP's (at least one of the versions of MVP) as recently as 1970. But a guy who was kicking at 55% and from beyond 40 when most kickers were at 45% and not kicking outside 40 vs a guy who's kicking 85% when most guys were at 80% and the distances are similar, would be far more dominant for his era. If for example one of those guys had modern fields, equipment, training, and practicing and has shown that they can dominate their peers at the time should be able to maintain that advantage. Kicker is probably one of the positions that has evolved the most over time so it'll make it tricky. Every one of the top 5 in all-time FG% are currently active in the NFL and #6 is a 33 year old who has been bounced out of the league involuntarily.

Elvis P

WNBA fan since 1997
Dec 10, 2007
GA Blues & ribs
Terrell Suggs is joining the Raven's Ring of Honor. Jerry Jones still won't let Jimmy Johnson in the Cowboys.

Edit: Bob Griese wore glasses (not goggles) during games.

Edit: There's a funny old clip of Staubach being a little bit defensive about Namath. He says "Hey, I like sex too"!

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
A team with Aaron Rodgers just drafted a QB in Roger Staubach?!

Doesn't history teach us anything!

It is said a team with two QBs has none, and certainly Aaron isn't happy with this kind of situation.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Skip me, I'll make it up. Work has been a bear this week.
1692933903555.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bob St. Clair was taken much too late. It was a debate in my head between he and Lane Johnson

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I considered him when I took Slater. It was a really solid pick.
The only reason I think I didn’t take him was because I did take him whenever the last time we did this was

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Two rounds ago i wanted to take an extra lineman ("you can't have enough if them" is an NFL GM mantra), and i had McCormack & St. Clair left on my long list at RT. I went with the 9-time all-pro, two-time champion team leader. But if I had known he and St.Clair would have been available, I might have left starting RT until last.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Some insight on that pick:

We have long past reached the extent of my NFL history knowledge

And I couldn't think of what else I wanted besides a different-look dual-threat QB

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Two rounds ago i wanted to take an extra lineman ("you can't have enough if them" is an NFL GM mantra), and i had McCormack & St. Clair left on my long list at RT. I went with the 9-time all-pro, two-time champion team leader. But if I had known he and St.Clair would have been available, I might have left starting RT until last.
McCormack was a great value pick too. Most have him as a top 5 RT of all-time and some have him top 3.

Reactions: VanIslander

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Only Ted Hendricks has more sacks among the 20/20 club...
6'7 Guatemalan-born Ted Hendricks, the "Mad Stork" whose height was accompanied by 230 lbs of speed and nastiness, on both the 1970's and 1980's all-decade team (on the NFL 100 team), with noted plays in four Super Bowl victories.

If 'only' Hendricks is better, consider your guy tops, as Hendricks is an outlier.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
6'7 Guatemalan-born Ted Hendricks, the "Mad Stork" whose height was accompanied by 230 lbs of speed and nastiness, on both the 1970's and 1980's all-decade team, with noted plays in four Super Bowl victories.

If 'only' Hendricks is better, consider your guy tops, as Hendricks is an outlier.
Yeah, he only started getting hall of fame momentum recently. Wasn’t even in the Eagles own hall of fame until 2018. A bunch of the Buddy Ryan eagles look to be very underrated, likely because they didn’t win a playoff game. Joyner did get to 2 Super Bowls both against and with the Broncos, but long past his best.

Todd Christensen - that was a guy I almost just took. My last 2 picks, I had a bunch of guys all on the same level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad