Rule suggestions for future ATDs

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Potential Solution To Mix Up the Playoff Results

Caveat: This would require that all teams make the playoffs

Every GM only votes for one division (in the opposite conference) for the regular season standings.

This way the regular season standings would only be capturing one fourth of the voters' opinions, leaving a lot of room for different results in the playoffs.

This would be done by division, all the teams in Conference 1 - Division A vote on the regular season standings for Conference 2 - Division A, and so on. We could even wait to randomly decide which division votes for which until after the drafting phase is completed.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I won like 4 series as the lower seed last year...

You know what I mean. A 6th seed is not beating a 3rd seed, days after the exact same voters came up with said seeding. I don’t know why we continue to pretend like the underdogs have an actual chance.

If the voters have decided who the top teams are, they aren’t going to change their mind. That’s where a shortened playoff format should come in, IMO.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You know what I mean. A 6th seed is not beating a 3rd seed, days after the exact same voters came up with said seeding. I don’t know why we continue to pretend like the underdogs have an actual chance.

If the voters have decided who the top teams are, they aren’t going to change their mind. That’s where a shortened playoff format should come in, IMO.

They do have a chance...

I’ve beat a 2nd seed with my 7th seed team.

Yes, it’s uncommon... but it should be. How often do you think 6 seeds beat 3 seems in real hockey?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’m not saying upsets should he happening a lot here. The better teams OBVIOUSLY deserve to win the vast majority of the time.

My issue, for the 400th time, is how predictable and stale the voting and playoff process is.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Potential Solution To Mix Up the Playoff Results

Caveat: This would require that all teams make the playoffs

Every GM only votes for one division (in the opposite conference) for the regular season standings.

This way the regular season standings would only be capturing one fourth of the voters' opinions, leaving a lot of room for different results in the playoffs.

This would be done by division, all the teams in Conference 1 - Division A vote on the regular season standings for Conference 2 - Division A, and so on. We could even wait to randomly decide which division votes for which until after the drafting phase is completed.

Interesting. The downside is that the regular season standings would be based off really small samples of opinions.

Perhaps a compromise would be to only vote for the opposing Conference in the regular season.

Or maybe even - only vote for YOUR OWN conference in the regular season to keep the incentive for regular season voting.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Why are we going in circles here? Obviously upsets have happened a hell of a lot more historically in real life than in the ATD. Are you claiming otherwise?

I’m saying upsets do happen. They are rare, and they should be rare. Obviously, closer seeds should be more likely to upset, but the favourite is favoured for a reason.

If all you want is more upset, why don’t we just flip a coin for each series? I mean, surely the coin doesn’t have a favourite GM. That should make it nice and equal for everyone.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’m saying upsets do happen. They are rare, and they should be rare. Obviously, closer seeds should be more likely to upset, but the favourite is favoured for a reason.

If all you want is more upset, why don’t we just flip a coin for each series? I mean, surely the coin doesn’t have a favourite GM. That should make it nice and equal for everyone.

I know you often like to sound as if you’re the smartest guy in the room, but you obviously know I’m not saying to “flip a coin.”

I’m not saying upsets should he happening a lot here. The better teams OBVIOUSLY deserve to win the vast majority of the time.

My issue, for the 400th time, is how predictable and stale the voting and playoff process is.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

You say it’s predictable, but where’s the predictions? Did you post these regular season standing before the draft?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
You say it’s predictable, but where’s the predictions? Did you post these regular season standing before the draft?

Do I need to continue spelling it out for you?

I’ve mentioned already, take regular season rankings. From there, you have an idea who will win the entire thing. At least the 3-4 candidates.

My issue, is why go on with multiple playoff rounds to predictably reach the inevitable?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Do I need to continue spelling it out for you?

I’ve mentioned already, take regular season rankings. From there, you have an idea who will win the entire thing. At least the 3-4 candidates.

My issue, is why go on with multiple playoff rounds to predictably reach the inevitable?

Yes. I’m still not sure what your issue is.

How many upsets is the correct amount?

We’ve only had 1 this year, which is abnormally low.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I actually kind of like the idea of only voting for your own Conference in the regular season.

This is a modification of @Hawkey Town 18 's idea of only voting for one division in the opposing Conference.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Are we all not in agreement that conference finals will almost surely be 1 2 1 2. MAYBE a 3 thrown into the mix? Are we going to pretend like a 5th or 6th has a chance?

So what I’m saying is, why go through the predictable drawn out process?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’ll spell it out again, as simply as I can, and this will be the final time.

NOT my issue: Good teams winning, upsets not happening a lot.

My issue: A predictable, drawn out playoff process after the regular season voting.

My solution: To make some changes so it doesn’t feel so stale. I brought up an idea. You didn’t like it. You label me a whiner.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Are we all not in agreement that conference finals will almost surely be 1 2 1 2. MAYBE a 3 thrown into the mix? Are we going to pretend like a 5th or 6th has a chance?

So what I’m saying is, why go through the predictable drawn out process?

I personally want all voting to be made public. At the end of each playoff, post every GMs voting record for that season.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I personally want all voting to be made public. At the end of each playoff, post every GMs voting record for that season.

That should be something that is decided upon before the ATD begins. But I completely agree that they should be made public. Not sure everyone will agree.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I’ll spell it out again, as simply as I can, and this will be the final time.

NOT my issue: Good teams winning, upsets not happening a lot.

My issue: A predictable, drawn out playoff process after the regular season voting.

My solution: To make some changes so it doesn’t feel so stale. I brought up an idea. You didn’t like it. You label me a whiner.

We expanded playoffs to include more teams. That’s what GMs wanted. If we don’t want that anymore, it’s an easy fix.

I enjoy the playoffs. That’s when teams truly get vetted, and that’s when we learn the most about players.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
That should be something that is decided upon before the ATD begins. But I completely agree that they should be made public. Not sure everyone will agree.

I know people will disagree, but those are the people that don’t vote honestly.

I’d actually like to see this year’s. See what people are doing then they think it’s a secret! That would certainly tell you the most about any problems in the process.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I know people will disagree, but those are the people that don’t vote honestly.

I’d actually like to see this year’s. See what people are doing then they think it’s a secret! That would certainly tell you the most about any problems in the process.

Honest question. Full transparency, have you voted against TDMM or Hawkeytown in a single playoff series over the past 5 years? Just curious.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Honest question. Full transparency, have you voted against TDMM or Hawkeytown in a single playoff series over the past 5 years? Just curious.

I would assume so, though I’d have to check.

I had TDMM in 3rd place in his division this year, but I do believe I’ve voted him winning each series so far.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I had TDMM in 3rd place in his division this year.

In a playoff series though?

But thank you for your honesty.

Anyways, I think I’m done here. I appreciate the fun over the past few years. I just don’t think the overall process how it is currently is for me. And that’s fine. You guys have been doing it longer so I know you like the status quo, and that’s okay too.

All the best guys, you know how to reach me.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Interesting. The downside is that the regular season standings would be based off really small samples of opinions.

Perhaps a compromise would be to only vote for the opposing Conference in the regular season.

Or maybe even - only vote for YOUR OWN conference in the regular season to keep the incentive for regular season voting.

Yes, the regular standings could be off with a small sample size, but that's basically what we're trying to do, so we can't as easily predict what will happen in the playoffs. I worry that half the voters would be too representative of the entire group. As long as every team makes the playoffs, I think it's worth the sacrifice (personally I don't put a ton of stock in the regular season standings, the playoff series is where the real discussions/comparisons happen). Sure you may have to face a tougher opponent earlier, but you'd likely have to face them eventually anyway.

Good point on the voting incentive. At first I was thinking I wouldn't be comfortable voting on your own division only, but maybe that would actually provide even more erratic results and therefore more upsets in the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad