Speculation: Ruff Didn't Score Enough: Trades 'n' FAs II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Once Leino and Vanek are back we could easily afford to ship out Stafford.

So we're pretending Leino is going to be good after his injury? Man, absence has made the heart grow fonder for many when it comes to Leino.

Nothing interests me enough on Nashville's blueline to consider moving Stafford--at least that Nashville would consider moving (thus, eliminate Josi and Weber).

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I was thinking that this has Stafford written all over it as well. He's not exactly Rolston's favorite player. Who do you target though? Blum, Klein, Ellis?

The bloom is off Blum, pun intended. The guy seems destined to be a third-pairing defenseman. But he's American, and played for Rolston in the USNTDP, so I'm sure RR would be interested. Still, Nashville would have to add significantly.

Klein is a nice defensive defenseman, but a #4-#5 defenseman.

Ellis is undersized, and his primary skill (running a PP) would go to waste in this stupid PP system.

If we're dealing Stafford, there are so many better teams with whom to deal than the Preds.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Also, I have to chuckle at the premise of Nashville being interested in Stafford. Nashville is where they are for the precise reason Stafford has been relegated in the lineup: forward inconsistency and lack of production. Yet Nashville is going to be looking to add another inconsistent forward? I have my doubts.

But, like I said, if we're moving Stafford, I'd look elsewhere to a team with better assets for us.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
What about Phoenix? Something around Korpikoski or Stone.

I am a certified member of the Korpedo fan club. Top-end speed and dogs the puck, all with a bit of offensive punch, as well. If we could get a bottom-6 center like Gordon in the deal, as well, it'd definitely be worth considering.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
So we're pretending Leino is going to be good after his injury? Man, absence has made the heart grow fonder for many when it comes to Leino.

Nothing interests me enough on Nashville's blueline to consider moving Stafford--at least that Nashville would consider moving (thus, eliminate Josi and Weber).

So we're pretending Stafford's been good this year? Leino can at least match Stafford's output and will play no worse than Drew.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
So we're pretending Stafford's been good this year? Leino can at least match Stafford's output and will play no worse than Drew.

Doesn't make it any less of a waste if we trade him to a team whose available assets do nothing for us. Stafford has also been exponentially more productive than Leino over the two seasons preceding this one. Heck, Drew's had a season in which he scored nearly as many goals (31) as Leino has in his entire NHL career (38).

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I am a certified member of the Korpedo fan club. Top-end speed and dogs the puck, all with a bit of offensive punch, as well. If we could get a bottom-6 center like Gordon in the deal, as well, it'd definitely be worth considering.

Leino can forecheck well and play adequate defense. That's something this team lacks. His salary hit is terrible, but he can still be an effective player.

Whoops...I meant to quote your top comment.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

He certainly can't be worse than Stafford has been and will likely relish a fresh start under anew coach in Buffalo.

Combine that with the fact the Sabres don't save much money buying Leino out this summer vs Next (10 million to buyout this summer, 7.33 next summer), I think Stafford probably has more value in trade vs Leino

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Hearing rumblings on the trade board that Gaborik may be available. Something Buffalo should look into? Nothing we should sell the farm for, but a healthy Marian Gaborik is one of the best offensive players in the league. Not seeing any decline in his game at age 31.

Stafford, Sekera, 1st in 2014? Dangle Gerbe as a sweetener.

Vanek-Hodgson-Gaborik
Grigorenko-Ennis-Pominville
Leino-Ott-Foligno
Kaleta-UFA/Porter-Tropp

Looks like a dangerous group of forwards.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hearing rumblings on the trade board that Gaborik may be available. Something Buffalo should look into? Nothing we should sell the farm for, but a healthy Marian Gaborik is one of the best offensive players in the league.

Stafford, Sekera, Adam, 2014 1st rounder?

Nope. We've got enough passengers on this team.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Hearing rumblings on the trade board that Gaborik may be available. Something Buffalo should look into? Nothing we should sell the farm for, but a healthy Marian Gaborik is one of the best offensive players in the league.

Stafford, Sekera, Adam, 2014 1st rounder?
Why? We already have Vanek.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Why? We already have Vanek.

So is there a limit on the number of elite goal scorers you can have?

I don't get some of you people. Apparently guys like Kane and Gaborik aren't good enough to make this excellent Sabres team. :laugh:

Either of them are miles better than any winger not named Vanek we have.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
No interest in Gaborik, he'd be worthless this season since we aren't going anywhere this season and next year he will be 32 years old, entering the age when most players decline and he's gone through a lot of injuries which is never good for players getting older. It only makes sense for a contender to trade for him right now.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
No interest in Gaborik, he'd be worthless this season since we aren't going anywhere this season and next year he will be 32 years old, entering the age when most players decline and he's gone through a lot of injuries which is never good for players getting older. It only makes sense for a contender to trade for him right now.

32 is not old. 35 is old. Tell me this team doesn't need another 25-30 goal scorer. Please tell me that.

And people like the idea of Iginla? Nah, Gaborik over a 35 year old Jarome every day and twice on Sundays.

Vanek cannot continue to be the end-all, be-all offensive player for this team. Maybe we see his game elevate if he's got more talent to play alongside.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
32 is not old. 35 is old. Tell me this team doesn't need another 25-30 goal scorer. Please tell me that.

And people like the idea of Iginla? Nah, Gaborik over a 35 year old Jarome every day and twice on Sundays.

Vanek cannot continue to be the end-all, be-all offensive player for this team. Maybe we see his game elevate if he's got more talent to play alongside.

Who has said they want Iginla? I sure as hell don't. I don't think people are saying that, maybe the WGR callers are.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
So is there a limit on the number of elite goal scorers you can have?

I don't get some of you people. Apparently guys like Kane and Gaborik aren't good enough to make this excellent Sabres team. :laugh:

Either of them are miles better than any winger not named Vanek we have.

Factor in assets to get him, his cap hit, his durability, other needs, and no I do not think Gaborik is good enough to take this team where it needs to be.

Let me put it another way -- I don't want $14.5M in cap hit for 2 wings.

Last edited:

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Factor in assets to get him, his cap hit, his durability, other needs, and no I do not think Gaborik is good enough to take this team where it needs to be.

Let me put it another way -- I don't want $14.5M in cap hit for 2 wings.

The talent this team NEEDS comes at a price. If we don't want to pay that price, we can expect the same results we've always gotten.

We already overpay and overvalue our mediocre players...but we don't want to shell out the dough to players who actually deserve it?

I want a cup. If it costs 14.5 million for two top line wingers, you pay. If it doesn't pan out, we've got this nifty new buyout rule as part of the restructured CBA...

Last edited:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The talent this team NEEDS comes at a price. If we don't want to pay that price, we can expect the same results we've always gotten.

I want a cup.

Gaborik isn't getting you one. He's a role player. This team currently doesn't need role players, it needs an identity made from a new core of players. Gaborik would be wasted here.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

We already overpay and overvalue our mediocre players...but we don't want to pay the ones who actually deserve that contract?

I want a cup.

Good thing we'll be getting some in the draft this year.
Seriously, Gaborik isn't going to put Buffalo "over-the-top". There's not a single player in the league that would do that for this club -- too many holes. The only acquisitions we should be looking at are players that could be long-term answers. Gaborik is not that.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Gaborik isn't getting you one. He's a role player. This team currently doesn't need role players, it needs an identity made from a new core of players. Gaborik would be wasted here.

I'm not necessarily saying Gaborik is the answer. I'm simply saying that getting an impact player is money well spent. Can't keep leaning on the same players and expect them to produce. This "core" sucks. I'm not stick-riding Gaborik. I think there are a plethora of better options out there.

All I'm suggesting is Gaborik's production has been on par if not better than Vanek's. It doesn't hurt to have two guys that can put up those numbers. I see him having a similar career path to Dany Heatley's. May not be the goalscorer he once was, but still a guy you would want in your top 6. If it's true that he's available I wouldn't be surprised if Darcy at least inquires.

Last edited:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Please not Gaborik. $8 million a season with bad hip, groin and shoulder issues and he is a third liner now. Would much rather try and get Hemsky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad