Speculation: Ruff Didn't Score Enough: Trades 'n' FAs II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
And I don't believe that rumor it sounds like bs they need to sign Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk
way too much money on the blue line

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Somebody on the Trades board that claims to have ties to Mitch Korn suggested that Buffalo and St. Louis are talking trade.

I don't buy it whatsoever, but because the O'Reilly talk is over, I figured it'd be an interesting topic to navigate towards.

The trade went as such:

To Buffalo: Berglund, Oshie
To St. Louis: Myers

Like I said - this seems like a ridiculous move on St. Louis' part and I don't believe it. But hypothetically speaking, if I'm Regier, I'm all over it. I'm also doing my best to shore up the defense by moving some forwards (Ennis/Hodgson) for Yandle/other defenseman, HF boards doesn't seem to grasp this very well.

I don't know much about Berglund, and I don't have the slightest clue as to how to read advanced stats, so if anyone could enlighten me on his game/teach me mre abouot advanced stats, I'd appreciate it.

Short term it's great for Buffalo, long term I would HATE this trade.. Myers is no where near his prime, hell most defenceman don't reach their prime until almost 30 years old.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I was pretty pissed that Regier didn't deal for Andrei Loktionov when I saw he was traded for only a 5th rounder, even more pissed now that he is doing well for the Devils. A young center with potential that we could have had for basically nothing. How do you not offer a 4th? The chances that a 4th rounder would give you a player like Loktionov are extremely thin.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I was pretty pissed that Regier didn't deal for Andrei Loktionov when I saw he was traded for only a 5th rounder, even more pissed now that he is doing well for the Devils. A young center with potential that we could have had for basically nothing. How do you not offer a 4th? The chances that a 4th rounder would give you a player like Loktionov are extremely thin.

You're pissed over that? ...

:nopity:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
What would you guys be willing to part with for Smid (UFA at the end of the year)?

It's obviously contingent on his re-signing here, but I think I'd move a fairly considerable asset for him to shore up the defense a bit.

Smid is very good. Underrated player.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
What would you guys be willing to part with for Smid (UFA at the end of the year)?

It's obviously contingent on his re-signing here, but I think I'd move a fairly considerable asset for him to shore up the defense a bit.

Totally agree. Have had my eye on him for awhile now.

A big, tough, mobile defensive d-man. I think he'd be the ideal partner for Myers we've all been looking for since Tallinder left. Imagine a top 4 of:

Smid-Myers
Ehrhoff-Sekera

With Weber, Sulzer, Pysyk and McNabb rounding out the bottom pair...

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

I think I'd rather just wait until he hits UFA and sign him...no reason to get him for the rest of this year, unless you fear that a team that does trade for him as a rental is gonna re-sign him. But agree he's a good guy to target.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I think I'd rather just wait until he hits UFA and sign him...no reason to get him for the rest of this year, unless you fear that a team that does trade for him as a rental is gonna re-sign him. But agree he's a good guy to target.

I think that's just it- Smid is still young enough and with enough gas left in the tank for a team to view him less as a rental and more of a guy who can be a piece of the puzzle going forward. I think whoever picks him up would look to re-sign him fairly quickly. He's got a lot of quality years left and just entering his prime...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

stafford?

id like to get smid

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Realistic in real world....not a chance in HF Trade forum world.

Again, if Oilers brass are certain Smid is going to UFA, do they turn down a Stafford + deal for Smid? I don't know if they do. I think it would be close, tbh. We also know that Edmonton has been interested in Stafford before...

Edit: sorry Beerz, missed the "realistic in real world" part :)

clumping platelets

Stafford and Brennan for Smid

Dumo Leopold for a Tim Card

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I know Edm isn't too high on Omark and PRV but I don't think they'd add to Smid for that package.

Omark and MPS are probably equal or lesser value than Brennan and Adam. I'd rather not even bother with Omark though. MSP + Smid for Stafford + Brennan/Adam.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
stafford?

id like to get smid

And I'd like rid of Stafford and Leopold, but I see Leopold being of more interest. Stafford is going to be difficult to shift, especially to a team full of promising young forwards. Leopolds experience, age and two way ability might just be a better starting point. A team like San Jose, Calgary might be more interested in Stafford.

In general I see we need to replace Stafford and Leopold with a 2nd line center and RW primarily though. I do believe the main problem with our defense is youth, not skill. Ditch Leo, give McNabb a full time job and I think it'll help us greatly.

Question: Penner is a big guy who's proven to acheive with 2 out of the 3 clubs his played for, his only payed till the end of the season, would you take a chance on him? Gotta say I would like to, be easy to get as well I suspect.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I see smid re-signing in edm. He's been great foe them and the boys seem to like him. If he's okay taking a discount he'll stay.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Ironically those quotes from him are nearly identical to what Ruff said before he got fired.

However, I am willing to bet they will keep the neckless wonder around. However, they do have D...we have offense.

Let's talk, Nashville.

We do? I think our offensive depth sucks--e.g., keeping a kid up who should be developing in juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad