Speculation: Ruff Didn't Score Enough: Trades 'n' FAs II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He certainly can't be worse than Stafford has been and will likely relish a fresh start under anew coach in Buffalo.

Combine that with the fact the Sabres don't save much money buying Leino out this summer vs Next (10 million to buyout this summer, 7.33 next summer), I think Stafford probably has more value in trade vs Leino

Sure he can: he can be last year's Ville Leino. :laugh:

Stafford most definitely has more trade value than Leino, I agree. I'm sure there are several GMs hoping Darcy sells low on him a la Roy last summer.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
Thoughts on Stephen Weiss?

His season is over after wrist surgery, and he's set to become a UFA this upcoming offseason. He's turning 30 in April, so not exactly the age Buffalo needs, but fits the category of a two-way centerman who is a very good faceoff guy (50%+ for the past five seasons, was at 51% through 17 games this season) and he puts up respectable scoring numbers.

Biggest issue is the contract he'll be able to demand... making a more than reasonable $3.1M right now, but he could probably get in the neighbourhood of 4-5.5 mil a season. Wish we could scribble out Leino's name from his own contract and give that to a guy like Weiss.

Also, FWIW, he's from Toronto, so Buffalo is close to his hometown. I know guys like Cody love being relatively close to their hometowns, but at the same time in a different city (Cody is from Markham, 30-40 mins outside of Toronto).

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I have zero interest in Weiss. I've seen him play a lot, and I like him as a player. But he's the exact sort of guy Buffalo would be trying to sell off right now if they had him.

-------------------

I'm excited for this year's deadline. I'm convinced Regier knows he has a prime oppurtunity to sell off aging vets that have value for projects and picks. I can't wait.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Weiss window of being a good fit for the Sabres is closed. Between Hodgson/Ennis/Grigorenko, he's going to be forcing someone into a defensive role or taking on one himself, and I'd rather get a cheaper forward who's better at goal prevention and can take on a more defensively specialized role.

Bozak, Gordon, and Thompson are the non-premier UFAs we should be targetting.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'd do it. Not sure why Minnesota would though. When Backstrom's contract is up I think they'll just hand the reins over to Harding.

Minnesota spent $200m+ this off-season. I don't think a first round exit is going to sit well. Miller is one of the top goalies in the league, Backstrom isn't. Harding isn't exactly lighting the world on fire this season either.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Minnesota spent $200m+ this off-season. I don't think a first round exit is going to sit well. Miller is one of the top goalies in the league, Backstrom isn't. Harding isn't exactly lighting the world on fire this season either.

True but the stud players they signed aren't going anywhere. They are hardly in a situation where they have to win this year.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
True but the stud players they signed aren't going anywhere. They are hardly in a situation where they have to win this year.

Yup, and Harding may be far from a proven winner in this league, but he makes under 2 million and allows them to spend money in other areas of need. I doubt they want to pay Miller over 6 million.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I get that, but don't you think that getting their hands on one of the league's top goalies for this year + next with first dibs on re-signing for what really amounts to a good prospect (Backstrom is a 34 year old UFA) would be extremely enticing?

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Weiss window of being a good fit for the Sabres is closed. Between Hodgson/Ennis/Grigorenko, he's going to be forcing someone into a defensive role or taking on one himself, and I'd rather get a cheaper forward who's better at goal prevention and can take on a more defensively specialized role.

Bozak, Gordon, and Thompson are the non-premier UFAs we should be targetting.

This. Well said.

I wonder what Bozak would cost, and if he'd even be available in the offseason . There's so much pressure for Toronto to make the playoffs this year and since they've done well this season I could see them making a strong effort to retain him.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
also isn't Harding suffering from MS?

Yeah, but when he doesn't have an attack he can play fine.

They also have Matt Hackett down in Houston who's been very good. They can platoon Harding/Hackett without much issue.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
If I were Darcy, I'd be inquiring about Blues forwards. The consensus is that St. Louis needs a shakeup, and their only untouchables are Tarasenko, Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. Their forward group has possibilities up and down for us.

If the price is right, getting one of Backes, Perron, Oshie, or Berglund could help Buffalo quite a bit. If the price is too high for any of them, Sobotka is also a solid option as an effective 3rd liner who can fill in on spot duty. Jaden Schwartz and Alex Steen (one of the most underrated players in the league) should also be looked into.

Stafford, Adam, Gerbe for Oshie and 2nd

--------------------------

Stafford for Steen

Sekera, Stafford, 1st for Backes

just some ideas for starting points...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If the Blues trade Backes, they're the dumbest team on the planet. I'm 100% sure he's in the untouchable category.

agree... Backes isn't going anywhere

Oshie is the guy we should be looking at... he makes a lot of sense in the present and future.

His contract is fair... but it's long term to help us bridge the potential departure of poms/vanek

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If I were Darcy, I'd be inquiring about Blues forwards. The consensus is that St. Louis needs a shakeup, and their only untouchables are Tarasenko, Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. Their forward group has possibilities up and down for us.

If the price is right, getting one of Backes, Perron, Oshie, or Berglund could help Buffalo quite a bit. If the price is too high for any of them, Sobotka is also a solid option as an effective 3rd liner who can fill in on spot duty. Jaden Schwartz and Alex Steen (one of the most underrated players in the league) should also be looked into.

Stafford for Steen

No chance that any of those trades happen, all brutal for St. Louis, that one for Buffalo could be bad for us if that first is a top 5 pick, no way they deal Backes.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Stafford for Steen

The first and 3rd trades are way too much in our favor for the Blues to consider. Staff for steen is a good starting point, but I think we'd have to add a bit.
The 3rd trade could be a possibility if you removed stafford and replaced him with one of ennis, armia, or girgs, IMO.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
whether you like it or not our team next year is likely going to be very similar to this year, doesn't seem to be hardly any movement in the league the last couple years.

on a short term note a guy like Letestu or Kennedy could be decent options for that #3 hole, guys like Cullen, Zubrus, MacArthur, Flippula, Raymond, Higgins, Bozak, Thompson could all be solid adds up front.

Bozak is a guy I would really like to get this offseason, great on face-offs and very good defensively and can chip in offensively. Pretty underrated in Toronto.

Last edited:

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I'm just spewing but any of those players would be an upgrade to our forwards. If we're moving forward with Hodgson-Ennis-Grig/Girg as our centers, Oshie is who we should be looking at. If we're trying to bring in another center to take some heat off of Ennis and Grigs(let them get some time on the wing if they're not part of the package), we should be looking at Backes. Fat chance we get him, but it's the type of move that could change the culture of our locker room.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Going to try a somewhat realistic roster possibility for 2013-14, 13 fowards, not doing lines because to many variables(ok rough estimate). Not alot of toughness but I would rather have speed and skill. If Armia is ready or we get MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov things would chance
Vanek
Hodgson
Pominville
Ennis
Bozak(UFA)
Grigorenko
Foligno
Raymond (UFA)
OTT
Kaleta
Gerbe
Tropp
Halpern

Vanek Hodgson Pominville (top offensive line)
Raymond - Bozak - Stafford (all situations line, play against top competition)
Foligno - Ennis - Ott (easy minutes, Ennis and Foligno should thrive in this situation)
Gerbe - Halpern - Tropp (not a huge fan of this line, not a fan of using Gerbe in a 4th line situation)
Grigorenko

Defence

Myers
Ehrhoff
Sekera
McNabb
Weber
Regehr

any way you look at it their are alot of very good options out there in UFA this year and we should be able to plug quite a few holes upfront. We should be looking to move Stafford for a top 4 defenceman like Klesla, or one of CBJ top 4 guys. With an agressive offseason their is no reason why this team cannot make a run for the division, we don't need a rebuild or to bring in a high end guy(wouldn't hurt), we need a re tool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad